Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

TurboXS vs Cobb Tunning

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2004, 10:04 PM

Car Info: 2004 Silver WRX
TurboXS vs Cobb Tunning

Which is a better way to go. Cobb Tunning or TurboXS
Old 05-11-2004, 10:25 PM

Car Info: '02 WRX WRB
Oh, you'll probably start an arguement with this. I prefer Cobb because they seem to be pretty conservative and they've been tuning Subarus for a long time.
Old 05-11-2004, 10:57 PM
Pr0n King

Car Info: Turncoat Turbo
I have had great luck with all of my products and dealings with Phil at TurboXS. <3 TXS.
Old 05-11-2004, 11:07 PM

Car Info: 2001 Impreza 2.5RS(Ti)
I have heard great things about both. I'm sure people will reccomend different products from both companies. I guess it depends on what you're trying to achieve.
Old 05-11-2004, 11:08 PM

Car Info: 2004 Black WRX wagon
i like cobb. it's reliable horsepower.
only thing i don't like about it is that my ex's last name was Cobb. haha.
Old 05-11-2004, 11:35 PM

Car Info: 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX
Cobb is the way to go. They make safe, reliable power. The company also has the best customer service and product support of probably any company in the world. Oh yeah, and they only do Subarus, unlike TurboXS.
Old 05-12-2004, 06:48 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: black my03 5mt wrx s/w
the question you must ask yourself is whether you want a reflash or a piggyback.

reflash = set it and forget it.

piggyback = gives YOU the control to make or break your engine.

personally i would not go with a piggyback if i did not intend to tune it myself. if you think you're going to buy a solution, have it tuned, and leave it that way, then reflash all the way.

cobb = reflash, txs = piggyback

jm2c
ken

edit: though the unichip is a technically a piggyback, i tend to think of it as a reflash since it cannot be adjusted by the end-user.
Old 05-12-2004, 07:13 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2002 Honda S2000
Cobb won't be just a reflash anymore....they have the Accessport right now that allows you to switch through different maps.....In a few more months they will release their Accesstuner which lets do all the tunning you want by yourself.......
Old 05-12-2004, 08:02 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by esracer
a few more months they will release their Accesstuner which lets do all the tunning you want by yourself.......

i will believe that when i see it.

people have trouble tuning a static fuel/timing curve with a utec/xede, nevermind the adaptable learning capacity of the oem ecu. i think it adds layers of complexity that most folks will never be able to comprehend. cobb knows this. it will probably be priced to make sure that those who buy it are professionals.

jm2c
ken
Old 05-12-2004, 08:09 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Superdave17
I have a question...If you dont race your vehicle for money, why would you want to tune your car or have the ability to blow the the thing up??? And by adding horsepower have you heard of anyone grenading their transmission??? And is there an upgrade from these tuning companies that might help the transmission deal with the extra horsepower load?? Just wondering because I keep hearing of people breaking transmissions with stock horsepower load. Seems a little expensive if you ask me. And I know some people are just plain stupid when launching the WRX.
i like to be able to tune my car myself because i can, and i will spend more time doing it than any other tuner will, and i will learn more about the car in the process, and it will run very well indeed. also, when i impliment something like water injection (it's only a matter of time) i can properly tune the car to take advantage of the modification. i am a do it yourselfer at heart.

sure, adding power increases the risk of destroying something. as you have said, people on stock power blow up their trannies. i think it has a LOT to do with driving style... some people are just not mechanically sympathetic and things will break much quicker for them. if my tranny goes i will likely go with a rebuilt 5sp, with the ra gearset 1-4 and an oem 5th. i'd probably chuck in a front LSD too! i say if, not when, because there are lots of folks out there making quite amazing levels of power and their stock gearboxes are holding up (mid 11sec qtr, for example).

ken
Old 05-12-2004, 09:00 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2002 Honda S2000
Originally Posted by ride5000
i will believe that when i see it.

people have trouble tuning a static fuel/timing curve with a utec/xede, nevermind the adaptable learning capacity of the oem ecu. i think it adds layers of complexity that most folks will never be able to comprehend. cobb knows this. it will probably be priced to make sure that those who buy it are professionals.

jm2c
ken
Quoted from www.cobbtunning.com

AccessTUNER

"Offered as an enhancement on the revolutionary AccessPORT, the AccessTUNER package allows end users the ability to turn their own ECU based on either maps generated by authorized tuners or the stock map. The AccessTUNER package will consist of both a special version of the AccessPORT and the special AccessTUNER - Street software. With this package, users can make correction adjustments on top of their base map for fuel, timing, boost and more.

More information regarding this package is scheduled to be released in March.

Release Date: May 2004
Applications: 2002-2004 WRX
Est. Pricing: $995 Full Package, $400 upgrade for AccessPORT owners"

Not too much trouble since you have the basemaps to start out with if you know what you're doing you just tweek them to what you want, just like tweeking a Utec map. It basically all comes down to if you know what you're doing......Accesstunner will provide the same amount of tunability (if that's a word) as the Utec, they are very much alike.
Old 05-17-2004, 04:14 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by esracer
Quoted from www.cobbtunning.com
Not too much trouble since you have the basemaps to start out with if you know what you're doing you just tweek them to what you want, just like tweeking a Utec map. It basically all comes down to if you know what you're doing......Accesstunner will provide the same amount of tunability (if that's a word) as the Utec, they are very much alike.
if we're expecting accesstuner to be like ecutek, i think we'll be disappointed. just to give you a taste of what i'm talking about, here's an excerpt of a post made by jeff sponaugle (from http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...hreadid=535211):

Originally Posted by sponaugle
Let me further expand on the method you mentioned, plus offer some explanation for those not familiar with the internal structure of the Subaru ECUs. The design of the fuel comp system in the ECU is based around the three direct input variables, plus a 2D map. The three input variables are the current MAF reading, the current RPM, and the 'injector scale' programmed into the ECU. In order to determine how much fuel needs to be injected, the ecu first takes the MAF and RPM parameters and calculates an estimated load per cylinder charge. That is simple the amount of air (in grams) that should be in each cylinder during the compression cycle.

This can be determined by taking the current MAF reading (which is in g/sec), and using the formula below to determine the charge:

Per Cylinder Charge = (CurrentMAF*120) / 4*RPM.

(Mathematically, Per Cylinder charge is the derivative of the MAF over RPM. PCC = (dMAF/dR) )

Once the ECU figures out how much air is in each cylinder charge, it uses that value as one of the axis in the 2D fuel map. These values are in the 0-7 grams range, depending on the size of the turbo, load, etc. With the RPM and Load vales, a 2D map of target AFRS is referenced.

This is the 'fuel map'. This map contains for each load and rpm a target AFR value, specified in real AFR (x:1) *see note1*. Once the ECU looks up the fuel map value, it has a target AFR it would like to hit.

From this point, the ECU now has the amount of air in the cylinder, the target AFR, the rpm, and the injector size. From this point, it uses simple math to determine what duty cycle to run the injectors at. Here is a quick sample calc, although this DOES NOT include all of the variables.

Let's start with the engine load at 1.25 g/charge/cylinder, and the RPM at 5000 rpm, and the injector size at 540ccs/min. *note2*. Let's assume the target AFR for this load is 11:1. AFRs are measured by mass, not volume, so we need to convert the volume of fuel (cc/min) into mass (g/min). Typical pump gas premium fuel is around .760 specific gravity, meaning it is .760 g/cc.

So, in order to get an 11:1 AFR, we would need to inject 1.25/11 = .11364 g of fuel. This equates to approximately (.11364/.760)= .1495ccs of fuel. Given that an injector can flow 540ccs/min = 9ccs/sec, we would need (.1495/9)=16.61 ms of fuel injector on time. 5000 rpm = 12 ms per rev, 24 ms per 2 revs. We have 24 ms total available time to inject. We need 16.61 ms on time, so we run the injector at (16.61/24)=69.2% duty cycle.

Once the above math is completed in the ECU, it can fire the injector for the correct amount of time, and continue it's calculations.

[big snip]

*note1*: Actually, the ecu does not use AFR, but a hex representation of relative fuel comp, which can be converted to AFR easily.

*note2*: The internal number for the injector scaling is not directly convertible to cc/min at 43.5psi. It appears to be a number with slightly different scaling. Stock WRX injectors, which typically flow at about 420ccs/min at 43.5 psi, are scaled as 380ccs, while 540cc/min Pink injectors are scaled at 500ccs/min.
i hope by now you see my point. the oem ecu is VERY deep and detailed and there's both a lot of power AND a lot of complexity to comprehend in order to really harness it. do i think cobb will be publically releasing this level of configurability for $1k? nope. too many cars would never run again!!

jm2c
ken

ps i'd love to be proven wrong...

Last edited by ride5000; 05-17-2004 at 04:19 PM.
Old 06-07-2004, 01:45 PM

Car Info: GT35R, Meth
*ahem*

why does everyone praise Cobb's safety as godly and practically infallible? Cobb's status as the "Safest reflash" is largely self-annointed.

Also, think about it. So far Cobb has only been doing minor upgrades. I guarantee the complaints will start coming in if Cobb really does release it's 360 hp FMIC pretuned MAILORDER base map. This will be interesting since Vishnu only claimed 330-340 hp from its stage 2, which it also purports to be 'safety first'. There's NO magic in tuning, Cobb will have to set similar engine parameters as its competitors to put out similar power.

Quick Reply: TurboXS vs Cobb Tunning