Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

Turbo's Reliability/Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2003, 04:33 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX wagon=dead; rollin' in a Craptastic Camry!
If by hidden costs he means more money spent on premium fuel and poor mpg then yes. It will cost a bit more. You'll need to stay on top of your oil changes, as well. Turbos make a lot of heat and the oil breaks down more quickly. The heat may also degrade hoses a little faster than in a normally aspirated car, although I'm really starting to split hairs here.

Having said all that, the turbo in the WRX is a modern, time tested design. It is water cooled, whereas many older designs relied solely on engine oil and air for cooling. The engine's low compression is designed to handle forced induction as are it's internal components.

Will a turbo charged car be more expensive to operate than a normally aspirated car over time? Most probably. Is this extra cost worth it to me? Most definitely! After two years with my car, it still makes me grin when I put my foot down with 3K on the tach.