Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

Timing belt change

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 07:54 AM

Car Info: 2005 Subaru WRX Impreza Wagon
Timing belt change

Hi all,

First time posting:

I'm semi-handy but thinking I'm going to have someone else do the timing belt on my 05 Subaru Impreza WRX.

I've changed the other two belts already myself and plan on doing spark plugs this weekend.

1.) I will be moving in a few months and wondering if it's worth it to wait so in case repairs have any issues so I won't be SOL paying a new shop to fix it. I estimate I'll drive maybe another 1-2k before the car ends up in a new place in 6 months [most of that driving up front then sitting for 2 months].

2.) I checked around different dealers and I found option one that'll do it for 450 [but that is timing belt only, probably another 150-200 to also change the tensioner]. So total maybe 600-650

Option 2 is a non-dealer local shop [seems to have good reviews on yelp and the guy seems knowledgeable and is recommending some of the other parts that I was reading up about, including seals, pulleys, tensioner, water pump, upper radiator hose] but is quoting about 1,000

When I checked with the dealer, they said water pump's good to 200k and they only replace the pulleys if they need to. Thermostat can be done afterwards if needed and I'm thinking upper radiator hose can't be that hard for me to do myself.

Should I wait til I move to have it done and should I have the dealer do it or the other shop do everything?

Thanks!
Old 04-21-2014, 11:43 AM

Car Info: 2004 Subaru Impreza Wrx
Hello,

Timing belt something you want to make sure gets done around the recommended time change. I would find a local subaru shop and have them do it vs dealer. See what they think should be replaced.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:14 PM

Car Info: 2002 subaru wrx
PERSONALLY, if you have mechanical experience just do the timing belt and water pump urself. I did my own not too long ago and it was my first time on any car! I do have a good amount of experience. mainly suspension and simple tune ups, but this was my first big job and yes it was a long job since it was my first time, BUT I finished it in 6 hours. the ONLY hard part was keeping the cams aligned wen putting on the belt. be careful not to spin it the wrong way, or else ull bend ur valves
Old 08-26-2014, 10:15 PM

Car Info: 2002 subaru wrx
but, I would just replace EVERYTHING including pulleys while theyre in there because ull pay for the same amont of labor again.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:35 PM

Car Info: $2000 hawkeye
If you are semi mechanically inclined you'll be able to do it yourself, there's couple good threads floating online.
New timing belt, tensioner, water pump, all idler pulleys are must.
Old 08-27-2014, 12:07 AM

Car Info: LUMPY CGM 05 WRX
Im just going to jump in with making sure you do the pulleys and water pump while you are in there, and replace the drive belt while you are at it cause its going to come off any way.