Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

spooling at freeway speed

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2004, 01:08 PM

spooling at freeway speed

For those who eliminated the intake silencer, do you guys notice at around 70-80 mph, the turbo spools very easily and blows off very easily. I understand that removing the silencer does allow one to hear the turbo and bypass valve louder. But isn't it technically bad for the turbo to be spooling so easily at 5th gear?

Because for most honda ppl, turbo spooling at that speed is bad becuase it is not suppose to work that hard at that speed.

Maybe it's because the turbo is really small i dunno, any thoughts?
Old 02-01-2004, 02:08 PM

Car Info: 2010 370z Roadster, 2008 Frontier CrewCab
I'd be interested in the answer to your questions too.

Is it possible that the spooling hasn't changed - it's just that you can "hear" it a lot more with the silencer removed?
Old 02-01-2004, 04:19 PM

Car Info: WR Blue WRX
Originally posted by GR8-WRX
I'd be interested in the answer to your questions too.

Is it possible that the spooling hasn't changed - it's just that you can "hear" it a lot more with the silencer removed?
I am also interested in the the opinions of other regarding the quick spooling and if that is bad or not. I don't know anything about turbo hondas which are probably externally wastegated makes any difference.

The spooling noise is probably a combination of many things, the bypass, wastegate, turbo spool and air flow direction/turbulance as it enters the airbox. I know on my wrx I can hear the woooshing noise on the freeway even while I am on vaccum and as I push harder on the throttle the noise becomes more intense/louder as the rpms climb and the boost numbers rise.

My opinion (which is probably wrong) is that with the WRX turbo have an internal wastegate which is fairly small and probably does not let all of the exhaust gases out before they pressurize the turbine wheels this is what (I think) causes the easy spool. Because the turbo has spooled up it is starting to pressurize the IC but the throttle body is not open enough to allow the pressure into the manifold this then is what causes the bypass to open allowing the turbo to remain spooled but not overpressurize the IC and turbo outlet side. The noise that is generated by the turbo spooling the bypass being open and the wastegate open to prevent boost all combined give the wooshing noise.

I removed my silencer along time ago and I really enjoy the wooshing noise. I don't remeber if the noise was non-existent or was not as pronounced before the silencer removal. I think the wooshing was there but can't remember. If it did exist before removal then this may change my opinion on this question.

As far as the sound removing the silencer made this noise much more pronounced and so I doubt the removal of this caused any problems.

just my .02

-skooter
Old 02-01-2004, 05:23 PM

That makes sense

But seem like when i'm goin 70, just barely tapping the pedal, the sound of teh turbo seems like it is working overtime. That should not happen. but maybe it is all those factors. i dunno
Old 02-02-2004, 12:31 AM

Car Info: .............................................................................
Don't worry about it.... unless it stops doin' it...

Induction noise is what the silencer is suposed to silence and since you removed the silencer, it doesn't silence the induction noises any more so you are hearing the un-silenced intake

Mine is REAL LOUD with a Perrin short ram and a TD05:banana:
Old 02-02-2004, 11:35 AM

Car Info: Nadda
Our turbo is small, and on cool days you can hear it even more. I think I hear mine a lot more when it's cool out and you're pickin' up speed. Must be normal if a lot of us are hearin' that thing spool.
Old 02-02-2004, 11:50 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2002 Honda S2000
Yeah i hear it alot with my HKS Super Mega Flow intake and I love it! I love hearing the bypass valve release presure! Kinda like a Blowvalve noise! it's cool!
Old 02-02-2004, 12:59 PM

Car Info: 04' wrx
if you go to gofastbits. he talks about this. he says that it can e fixed by buying one of his bov's.
Old 02-02-2004, 10:31 PM

Car Info: .............................................................................
GUYS....what you are hearing is the air rushing into the intake....perfectly normal!!!!!
Nothing to worry about:banana:
Old 02-03-2004, 10:36 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 05' Evo 8
hey uncle scotty how do you like the TD05...??
Old 02-03-2004, 02:09 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Subaru Impreza WRX 2002
Scotty is correct, it is the intake sound you are hearing and not the turbo. However, it would not be unusual for the turbo to spool up if you are trying to accelerate at 75 MPH in 5th gear. At that point the engine really does need the boost to accelerate your car; you are fighting huge amounts of wind resistance and are turning out a low amount of torque with that overdrive gear. 5th gear actually has the "loosest" control on boost of them all, with the stock ECU.
Old 02-03-2004, 03:27 PM

Car Info: 02' WRX
so hey, lets all get really excited about something we dont understand ;-p.

When you're doing 70, the engines spinning plenty fast, and theres plenty load when you press on the gas to spin the turbo. Thats how turbos work.

I drive a turbo honda. It happens in hondas too. It happens in any turbo car. Its normal. Its safe. The motor is built to handle boost
Old 02-04-2004, 01:17 AM

Originally posted by qwk_wrx
hey uncle scotty how do you like the TD05...??
:banana: