Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

Perrin FMIC vs. BLITZ FMIC

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 08:45 AM

Car Info: SGM 135i
Perrin FMIC vs. BLITZ FMIC

Which would you recommend for a 04 wrx. The blitz has a smaller core buh i hear a lot of good things about it. Soren at MPJ recommended the perrin FMIC to me buh i have never seen anyone use it, and there are no reviews on it in the review section. So if anyone has a perrin FMIC, it would be greatly appreicated if you could give some pros and cons on the damn thing thank you.
Old 02-28-2005, 09:43 AM

Go with the perrin, even though it is more money, it is more of a complete kit and a better kit. I had heard some people are not happy with the piping with the blitz. Its longer and feeds a different way to the front of your car than most other kits. I am not sure if the blitz comes with a blow off valve bracket, but i know the perrin does. From what i have seen and heard, the perrin is a better kit. you get what you pay for.
Old 02-28-2005, 08:07 PM

the blitz has less surface area up front ..havnt seen recent kits but their first kits did not have any beading at the endtanks which resulted in hoses popping off on many accounts.
Old 03-05-2005, 02:15 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 Subaru WRX Aspen White
are you running a stock turbo? whats your setup?

a fmic will actually increase lag - decreasing overall power on the stock turbo.... many of the TMIC support 500hp....Hyperflow, Perrin, APS, etc......

if your planning on a "larger than VF series" turbo....go for it but all of the VF's run well with a larger Top mount.....

Jeremy
Old 03-05-2005, 11:23 PM

Car Info: 2016 Z51 C7, 2007 Exige S, 2008 ZX-10R, 2016 Taco
Bullcrap.

I installed an APS FMIC (Type R) with the stock FMIC (02 WRX). After the ECU and AVC-R aclimated, the only thing I noticed was how willingly the car pulled from around 4K to redline. Night and day. Instead of begging the car to rev, it revved, period. Saw three "drag guys" here on island invest in a high dollar TMIC just to sell it at a loss for a FMIC. Everyone will tell you a FMIC will have more lag. Everyone that doesn't/hasn't had one. Probably because they bought a TMIC and couldn't be wrong. My $0.02.

San
Old 03-06-2005, 11:20 AM

Car Info: 2005blackwrx5spd
I've ridden in a car with a front mount and thought the same thing, cause I got a larger top mount, Now I'm selling my larger top mount. my .02
Old 03-06-2005, 12:59 PM

thx guys, interesting to know. I was gonna lean towards a helix TMIC (the sucker's huge!) .. buh i guess i'll dish out a lil more chedder for a FMIC . im thinking of a completely JDM EJ207 swap with ecu and tranny. and this will go on that. It's gonna be awhile tho. needa save up big time.
Old 03-13-2005, 12:13 AM
more than meets the eye

Car Info: ?
Originally Posted by XkrazyAsianX
thx guys, interesting to know. I was gonna lean towards a helix TMIC (the sucker's huge!) .. buh i guess i'll dish out a lil more chedder for a FMIC . im thinking of a completely JDM EJ207 swap with ecu and tranny. and this will go on that. It's gonna be awhile tho. needa save up big time.
The Helix TMIC is perfectly adequate for any VF turbo I'm getting about 270whp/250tq with full torque by 3400 rpms with my Helix TMIC and VF34.

I would only get a FMIC if I ran a huge turbo.....otherwise, it's more for the "bling"
Old 03-13-2005, 01:46 AM

okay, so what about the heatsoak? is that an issue for you soundwave?
Old 03-13-2005, 02:14 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02Wag on 17's
I like and went with the Perrin.

The fit is good. Even better on an 04 from what I've been told. On the 02 you have to kill the bumper skin to fit the core and the lower mounted piping. Every thing in the engine bay fits very nice but just tight. No rubbing on anything metal. I does hit some rubber items on the drivers side. It fit with the stock battery but I added a lightweight for the heck of it.

Works well on the track. It would still be nice to have a IC spray kit but a OSH 1gal sprayer works on hot track days.
Old 03-13-2005, 02:35 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: want a WRX
FMICs are not needed unless you have some insane HP numbers and high boost.
Old 03-17-2005, 11:28 PM

obviously an incorrect answer

i really hope people dont listen to your poor advice just because your a "staff member"

i really hate heatsoak, and i know i would if i spent 600 on an aftermarket TMIC and it still plagued my performance i would be pissed.
Old 03-19-2005, 11:58 AM

Car Info: 2005blackwrx5spd
I agree, on the heat soak issues, even with a stock turbo. If you run your car hard for a little bit, you get noticibly slower and slower. I had the USDM STI top mount, and my car was real fast, but after a little bit of hard driving, it's like my car lost 30hp.
Old 03-21-2005, 06:02 PM

Car Info: lowered blk04 with no motor
Originally Posted by testes1010
are you running a stock turbo? whats your setup?

a fmic will actually increase lag - decreasing overall power on the stock turbo.... many of the TMIC support 500hp....Hyperflow, Perrin, APS, etc......

if your planning on a "larger than VF series" turbo....go for it but all of the VF's run well with a larger Top mount.....

Jeremy

what if hes racng at a track. wont he get better cooling with the front mount
Old 03-21-2005, 11:18 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02Wag on 17's
Originally Posted by GasPipe DreameR
what if hes racng at a track. wont he get better cooling with the front mount
yes...that's the reason I got mine. But with the stock turbo and low boost it's not really a must. You can get a IC spray kit for much less which will keep the IC cooler for track days. But if you have a bigger turbo and are running higher boost, and doing track days...it's a plus IMO.

Quick Reply: Perrin FMIC vs. BLITZ FMIC