Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

No start but cranks.

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 07:13 PM

Car Info: 2003 WRX
No start but cranks.

Ok here's my situation : just installed a rebuilt OEM Ej205 on my 03 WRX at the shop and the car cranks, but wont start. They said the ground wire is good. The crank position sensor wont give any signal but the cam sensor does. The crank sensor was replaced because they thought it was the issue. The coil pack and spark plugs are good and give spark. The timing is TDC. They said they are going to remove the timing case tomorrow and check the crank pulley teeth or something. The car was suppose to be done like one week ago. Every accessory on the engine is used on the old one also. Before the car would start regardless of the rod knock i had on the old longblock. I've done some research and could only speculate that it has something to do with the cam sensor location. I would appreciate your guys' input and opinion on this matter. Thanks.
Old 06-30-2013, 06:35 PM

Car Info: 2003 WRX
Originally Posted by wrxfreak
Ok here's my situation : just installed a rebuilt OEM Ej205 on my 03 WRX at the shop and the car cranks, but wont start. They said the ground wire is good. The crank position sensor wont give any signal but the cam sensor does. The crank sensor was replaced because they thought it was the issue. The coil pack and spark plugs are good and give spark. The timing is TDC. They said they are going to remove the timing case tomorrow and check the crank pulley teeth or something. The car was suppose to be done like one week ago. Every accessory on the engine is used on the old one also. Before the car would start regardless of the rod knock i had on the old longblock. I've done some research and could only speculate that it has something to do with the cam sensor location. I would appreciate your guys' input and opinion on this matter. Thanks.
The mechanic found out that the crankshaft sprocket was missing a couple teet, thus not giving signal to the crankshaft positioning sensor.