Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

mobil 1?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2004, 07:35 AM

Car Info: 04' wrx
mobil 1?

I have seen that lot of people use mobil 1 synthetic. What kind of oil does SOA use? What if any are the benefits of using this oil. Will SOA use this oil if you take it to the dealership? Will this void your warranty? just curious.
Old 02-05-2004, 07:36 AM

Re: mobil 1?

Originally posted by wrx10404
Will this void your warranty? just curious.
its oil...
Old 02-05-2004, 07:40 AM

Car Info: Black WRX, stock
The techs at my dealership will put whatever oil you bring in as long as the viscosity is right. Its a real waste of money though, IMO, to pay the Subaru labor prices.
Old 02-05-2004, 07:50 AM

just do it yourself, it takes like 20 min and you can do it in a car port if you don't have a garage
Old 02-05-2004, 07:56 AM

Car Info: 2002 WRX
I use Mobil 1 and I like it.

Just be sure to take the old gasket off when you change the filter.
I'm an idiot, you should've seen the mess.
Old 02-05-2004, 08:06 AM

Originally posted by 04blkWRX
The techs at my dealership will put whatever oil you bring in as long as the viscosity is right. Its a real waste of money though, IMO, to pay the Subaru labor prices.
My time is worth the money. Only charge 19.99 and they check all fluids. It may only take 20 minutes but by the time i change my clothes and then change them again after i'm done its 35 to 40 mins. I also have to go to a store and buy oil and filters. I can pull into my dealer and be out in less than an hour and not even get dirty. I just wanetd to know if mobil one is better or not.
Old 02-05-2004, 08:13 AM

Originally posted by wrx10404
My time is worth the money. Only charge 19.99 and they check all fluids.
oOoOo big man on campus

i wish i had 20 dollars for an oil change :\
Old 02-05-2004, 08:25 AM
VIP Member

To answer your question, synthetic will not void your warranty, unless you change it super early and something goes wrong which they can attribute to the oil. Highly unlikely though as many on this board have been running synthetic early on.

If you're curious as to which oil SOA uses, you can always call up their tech hotline and ask them. I's guess it's just regular dino oil though.

:banana:
Old 02-05-2004, 08:27 AM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Mobil 1 is good enough and will not void your warranty - any oil that meets OEM standards can be used, and Mobil 1 meets or exceeds the requirements for a Subaru. I get my Mobil 1 at Costco but some folks said they found it to be slightly cheaper at Wal-Mart. Just look in your owner's manual for the proper weight oil to use for your climate.

I buy my OEM oil filters in bulk from subaruparts.com. A Fumoto oil drain valve speeds up oil changes too, but you won't need one if you pay someone else to do the job.

I change my own oil because I've heard stories from two different people about oil change incidents where the drain plug or filter was not properly tightened and leaks resulted. The drain plug incident happened at a Honda dealership while the car in question was still under warranty!

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 02-05-2004, 09:08 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
wrx10404: regardless if you're Bill Gates or barely making ends meet having the dealer change your oil for 19.99 a pop is stupid. What you need is a fumoto valve a couple cases of mobil 1 10w30 and some filters.

Here's the Valve:

http://www.fumotovalve.com/merchant.cfm?pid=206&step=4

It gives you a chance to get away from the old lady and it gives you that sense of security that the dealer isn't cutting corners. Im usually pressed for time myself so i do right after work when im near 3000miles.

At Nascar crewmember speed:
I open the garage and pop the hood at the same time, take off the oil cap, throw a pan under the car and open the fumoto valve. Meanwhile, im adding windsheild washer fluid, checking coolant and anything else like tire wear etc. After 5 minutes has passed i drop the old filter drain that and close the valve. then i fill the new filter with oil and throw it on and add oil throught the fill stick. i usually measure 4.7-4.8 qts. Turn on the car a presto 10minutes has passed an i've saved $19.99. that's $650.00 at 100,000miles

it's your money might as well buy a full exhaust and do the oil yourself at that rate.:banana:

Last edited by Salty; 02-05-2004 at 09:10 AM.
Old 02-05-2004, 10:24 AM

Originally posted by Sisqocqk
wrx10404: regardless if you're Bill Gates or barely making ends meet having the dealer change your oil for 19.99 a pop is stupid. What you need is a fumoto valve a couple cases of mobil 1 10w30 and some filters.

Here's the Valve:

http://www.fumotovalve.com/merchant.cfm?pid=206&step=4

It gives you a chance to get away from the old lady and it gives you that sense of security that the dealer isn't cutting corners. Im usually pressed for time myself so i do right after work when im near 3000miles.

At Nascar crewmember speed:
I open the garage and pop the hood at the same time, take off the oil cap, throw a pan under the car and open the fumoto valve. Meanwhile, im adding windsheild washer fluid, checking coolant and anything else like tire wear etc. After 5 minutes has passed i drop the old filter drain that and close the valve. then i fill the new filter with oil and throw it on and add oil throught the fill stick. i usually measure 4.7-4.8 qts. Turn on the car a presto 10minutes has passed an i've saved $19.99. that's $650.00 at 100,000miles

it's your money might as well buy a full exhaust and do the oil yourself at that rate.:banana:
To get away from the old lady i drive my car. If i'm still at home so is she so that is a stupid argument. Second you say that you save 19.99 a pop well you don't. Figure the cost of the oil and what ever else you do at each service interval. Granted you may save 10 to 12 dollars. Third i probably won't have this car for 100,000 mile so it's mute anyway. I used to change my oil and it was overrated.

Also thanks for the fumoto valve link but i will never change my oil again if i don't have to. About the dealer cutting corners. I understand that, although that is why i bought and extended warranty. If i have any trouble and i have had all my services done at my dealer I should be better suited for any costly warranty issuses. They can see that they are the only ones who have worked on my car. I do understand though that dealers suck sometimes.
Old 02-05-2004, 10:26 AM

Originally posted by Wingless Wonder
Mobil 1 is good enough and will not void your warranty - any oil that meets OEM standards can be used, and Mobil 1 meets or exceeds the requirements for a Subaru. I get my Mobil 1 at Costco but some folks said they found it to be slightly cheaper at Wal-Mart. Just look in your owner's manual for the proper weight oil to use for your climate.

I buy my OEM oil filters in bulk from subaruparts.com. A Fumoto oil drain valve speeds up oil changes too, but you won't need one if you pay someone else to do the job.

I change my own oil because I've heard stories from two different people about oil change incidents where the drain plug or filter was not properly tightened and leaks resulted. The drain plug incident happened at a Honda dealership while the car in question was still under warranty!

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
This is why i posted this link. I wanted to know about the mobil 1. I think that if you change your own oil that is great it is just not for me. Thanks WW.

Daredevil, maybe you shoulden't have a car if you can't afford 19.99. If you need the $$ just start up a fund here on I-club i'm sure someone will donate.

Last edited by wrx10404; 02-05-2004 at 10:28 AM.
Old 02-05-2004, 10:47 AM

Car Info: 2002 WRX
if u dont plan on having your car past 100,000 miles, and u dont care about your car in general (which it seems), why do u care what oil you put in your car to begin with?

Quick Reply: mobil 1?