Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

Lifter noise?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 08:28 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: a blue car
Lifter noise?

Lately I've been noticing a ticking/clacking noise coming from the driver's side of the engine that I think may be lifters, not sure though. The frequency of the noise is RPM dependent and its really easy to hear when I'm driving next to freeway barriers in traffic or at a drive-thru. I don't think its exhaust because (from what I understand) pre-turbo would also produce a loud shrieking or hissing noise. I really don't think its bottom end noise but I guess I won't rule it out cuz I'm still somewhat of a n00b to boxer motors.

I know its due for an oil change soon but the oil isn't dirty, foamy (when checking after running) or milky and oil level is fine when I check it before a cold start/level surface blah blah blah.... Only engine performance mods so far are CBE and airbox mod. Runs good, no power loss. Any ideas?? If its lifters are there any adjustments that could be made?
'05 WRX 2.0 @ 50k miles and using Mobil 1 5w30. Thanks guys.

Last edited by tofuman; 05-01-2008 at 08:38 AM.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:59 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Broken Subarus
I don't think our motors have lifters... Worst case rod bearing. You could have a small exhaust leak at the manifold too. These motors are a bit on the noisy side. But if it sounds irregular, it probably is. If you can't diagnose it by yourself it wouldn't hurt to have someone look at it. Did you buy it used?
Old 05-01-2008, 09:05 AM

Car Info: 05 H2 SUT, 45 GPW, 10 Murano, 13 Boss 302
Originally Posted by tofuman
Lately I've been noticing a ticking/clacking noise coming from the driver's side of the engine that I think may be lifters, not sure though. The frequency of the noise is RPM dependent and its really easy to hear when I'm driving next to freeway barriers in traffic or at a drive-thru. I don't think its exhaust because (from what I understand) pre-turbo would also produce a loud shrieking or hissing noise. I really don't think its bottom end noise but I guess I won't rule it out cuz I'm still somewhat of a n00b to boxer motors.

I know its due for an oil change soon but the oil isn't dirty, foamy (when checking after running) or milky and oil level is fine when I check it before a cold start/level surface blah blah blah.... Only engine performance mods so far are CBE and airbox mod. Runs good, no power loss. Any ideas?? If its lifters are there any adjustments that could be made?
'05 WRX 2.0 @ 50k miles and using Mobil 1 5w30. Thanks guys.
What are these lifters you speak of?

Boxer motors tick under normal operating conditions. Is this noise louder/different than what you used to hear or are you just noticing something that has already been there? You should check out a buddy's car and see if it sounds different. If it's really concerning you, bring it by a local shop for a quick diagnosis.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:09 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by ipozestu
I don't think our motors have lifters... Worst case rod bearing. You could have a small exhaust leak at the manifold too. These motors are a bit on the noisy side. But if it sounds irregular, it probably is. If you can't diagnose it by yourself it wouldn't hurt to have someone look at it. Did you buy it used?
I bought it used Aug. 2007. No dinero$ for having a shop look at it right now so I haven't been driving it as much. Just trying to get an idea of what this may be so know what to look/listen for when get a chance to put it up on some jack-stands and pull the under-tray off.

Originally Posted by Egan
What are these lifters you speak of?

Boxer motors tick under normal operating conditions. Is this noise louder/different than what you used to hear or are you just noticing something that has already been there? You should check out a buddy's car and see if it sounds different. If it's really concerning you, bring it by a local shop for a quick diagnosis.
Like I said, I'm still a scooby n00b. The noise is def not normal but it isn't loud.

Last edited by tofuman; 05-01-2008 at 09:13 AM.
Old 05-01-2008, 10:47 AM
VIP Member

I'd bet if you bring it over to GST or dB tuned they'd be happy to take a glance with limited to no cost to you.
Old 05-01-2008, 11:01 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
I've noticed that Imprezas with louder exhausts don't seem to have as noticeable valve tick
Old 05-01-2008, 11:43 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by VRT MBasile
I've noticed that Imprezas with louder exhausts don't seem to have as noticeable valve tick
Lol, though I do have a very ... um... noticeable exhaust it does take getting the rpms up to make it loud and ..well.. if I'm having problems and ran it "loud enough" to "fix" the noise I'm worried it might become silent.
Old 05-01-2008, 11:46 AM
VIP Member

I'd bet if you bring it over to GST or dB tuned they'd be happy to take a glance with limited to no cost to you.
I'll leave it up to them but that'd be cool if they or anyone local could do that and they would definitely have my business for repairs/mods
Old 05-01-2008, 11:51 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Subaru Impreza WRX 2002
The current Subaru boxer motor has mechanical lifters; a minimal Google search provides dozens of links that refer to this. Solid lifters are common in the N/A motors (especially the 1.8l and pre-1987 models) and current ones have hollow or semi-hollow valve lifters. Low crankcase oil can increase the lifter sound, but almost any cold-start (when the oil is not up to full pressure) can create the lifter sound. Older models had hydraulic lifters

http://www.iwoc.co.uk/my2002stiuk.html <--specs sheet on 2002 EJ20 motor, mentions lifters

Here's an engine build-up site which refers to the lifters several times:

http://mthobby.pcperfect.com/ch601/chengine4.htm

And another quote:

Each Impreza has an EJ20 engine as its heart. This 1994cc 4 cylinder engine had 16valves, a quad cam with horizontally opposed cylinders. Each turbo was fitted with a top mounted air to air intercooler and can be found with various Mitsubishi TD series or IHI VF series turbos attached. From the Version 3 onwards mechanical as opposed to hydraulic lifters were used and molybdenum coated pistons. This engine has a 92mm bore and 75mm stroke and had 8.00:1, 8:5,1 or 9.0:1
http://www.strikeengine.com/subaru-t...8-history.html

Last edited by meilers; 05-01-2008 at 11:58 AM.
Old 05-01-2008, 12:07 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by meilers
The current Subaru boxer motor has mechanical lifters; a minimal Google search provides dozens of links that refer to this. Solid lifters are common in the N/A motors (especially the 1.8l and pre-1987 models) and current ones have hollow or semi-hollow valve lifters. Low crankcase oil can increase the lifter sound, but almost any cold-start (when the oil is not up to full pressure) can create the lifter sound. Older models had hydraulic lifters

http://www.iwoc.co.uk/my2002stiuk.html <--specs sheet on 2002 EJ20 motor, mentions lifters

Here's an engine build-up site which refers to the lifters several times:

http://mthobby.pcperfect.com/ch601/chengine4.htm

And another quote:

http://www.strikeengine.com/subaru-t...8-history.html
That's cool. I wasn't sure never heard of them refered to as lifters in the EJ series.
Old 05-01-2008, 01:30 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Subaru Impreza WRX 2002
That's cool. I wasn't sure never heard of them refered to as lifters in the EJ series.
I wouldn't have known anything about it until our Subaru mechanic explained it to me after I brought him our '98 Legacy wagon with the same problem :-)
Old 05-02-2008, 06:54 PM

Might be a timing belt tensioner.
Old 05-02-2008, 08:35 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by meilers
I wouldn't have known anything about it until our Subaru mechanic explained it to me after I brought him our '98 Legacy wagon with the same problem :-)
I saw a couple of threads on that blue and yellow site but they all referred to earlier (pre 2002 model) vehicles. Mostly Leggys though, nothing really on the WRX. Anything having to do with knock or tick on a WRX was bottom end noise shortly followed by a grenaded motor post or thread by the same person, OR it was exhaust.

edit: ^^ well, I guess I'm probably getting close to needing a timing belt anyways change, right? (50k miles) Guess a tensioner shouldn't be ruled out, especially where the noise follows the rpm's.

Last edited by tofuman; 05-02-2008 at 08:40 PM.
Old 05-03-2008, 12:22 AM

Car Info: 04 WRX
^ Thanks good info Meilers I was wondering that also.