Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

I need HKS dp install help...

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2004, 11:01 AM

*sigh* im not gonna say what you think im goin to say... so

btw, scoobymods should have instructions

open up your hood

-remove intercooler (easier access this way)
-take off the heatshield that goes over the turbo
-get underneath the car and take off the bolts that the midpipe connecting to the resonator
-unbolt the bolts that go from the turbo to the down pipe
-you might want to have someone help you put it down under the car/or to help pull it up through the hood.
-reverse diretions with new downpipe, except bolt the down pipe to the resonator before you put the heatshield and i/c back on, just to make sure everything fits

hope this helps, i know its not in great detail, but once you see it, its a really easy install
Old 02-09-2004, 07:54 AM

Car Info: 04 Java Black Sedan
I haven't installed a downpipe yet on my 04, but is it absolutely necessary to remove the intercooler? I have messed around in the engine bay a couple times and have noticed a little bit of room around the turbo area. The reason I ask is because I have also tried to remove the intercooler and have had no such luck in getting it off. I never seem to be able to get the intercooler hose off of the compressor outlet.
Old 02-09-2004, 08:57 AM

Car Info: Black WRX, stock
I have an 04 as well but I've had no problems getting the intercooler off - I did it to put in an oil pressure gauge. Just make sure all your clamps are loose.

I was looking around on scoobymods for the write up but I can't find it any more. I have a PDF of that writeup on my comp but its 13mb...so if anyone has any ideas on how to share it I'd be happy to do so.
Old 02-09-2004, 12:29 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2004 White GDB
you may want to seperate the downpipe from the midpipe. its easier to take them out that way. intercooler should only take couple of minutes to take off. and watch out for those bolts on the turbo. they can strip easily