Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

Helix Catted Downpipe GOOD INFO !

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2005, 10:41 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 03 WRX
Originally Posted by WRX Rush
High flow catted midpipes are like **** on a nun, they do nothing, if you still have that far too restrictive primary cat, or downpipe then the midpipe makes no difference.

Austin

I currently am running a stromung dp with the stock third cat, until I save up for the high flow third pipe cat.

So you're saying a highflow third cat would do nothing for me and I should just get the third cat delete pipe?
Old 11-02-2005, 05:16 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 08 WRX - 401whp/408wtq
I think you will definitely clean things up if you get a high flow catted mid pipe... why not? and horsepower-wise it wont make much difference in peak numbers... There just isnt that much restriction... and your car will not smell as bad...
Old 11-04-2005, 12:35 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Stage 4+ Bugeye
916 Dave: The catyletic convertor on the midpipe will not be as efficent as one in the downpipe because it is further away from the heatsource. But I originally thought that you were just putting a high flow cat on the midpipe with the stock 2nd cat, my mistake. The Catted-midpipe section would work very well for you.

VIBEELEVEN: If you have a stock midpipe and are going to go for the larger diameter with high flow cat, that would be the best route. I was also mistaken when you said you were going to use that, like I previously said they are a little farther from the heat source so they take a little longer to heat but besides that, the setup will do well for you !

Cheers !
Austin
Old 12-17-2005, 01:21 PM

Car Info: C32 AMG, Lincoln Navigator, LS1 Trans Am, E36 Bmw
Smile Sound?

I have a question about the catted vs. non in regards to sound. That is, does the catted produce a "quieter" sound note than a non-catted version? I'm currently running an apex-i N1 on my 05 WRX, looking to upgrade the DP as I understand a ton of added power can be had there. Just not looking to blow my ear drums out. Already did that enough with my open header'd fox body! =P Thanx!
Old 12-17-2005, 04:58 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Stage 4+ Bugeye
Originally Posted by AJBoost
I have a question about the catted vs. non in regards to sound. That is, does the catted produce a "quieter" sound note than a non-catted version? I'm currently running an apex-i N1 on my 05 WRX, looking to upgrade the DP as I understand a ton of added power can be had there. Just not looking to blow my ear drums out. Already did that enough with my open header'd fox body! =P Thanx!
AJ-

If you think you can handle the 'next step' on your 05 WRX, and you already have an up-pipe, get a catted downpipe, that should be at your barrier for sound for the N1, since it is a loud exhaust. Then if you decide you want to go louder, get headers, and then go for the catless downpipe.

Austin
Old 12-19-2005, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by AJBoost
all other things being equal, you will not hear much of a difference between a helix catted or uncatted downpipe when bolted to your n1.
Old 12-19-2005, 05:28 PM

Car Info: 2004 WRX
this is great info..

i just had a catted helix / uppipe / borla hush installed and I was curious about this.

thanks bud
Old 12-20-2005, 10:51 AM

Car Info: 2004 wrx wagon
I am at some point looking to install UP + TBE, maybe catted, maybe non. Either way, I have access to emissions testing equipment (not the same as DMV, actually much more sophisticated) and I plan on getting pre and post numbers. I'll update when I get the cash to buy the pipes, but as of now house payments take priority.