Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

Grounding mod?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2004, 01:49 PM

Car Info: 2016 Z51 C7, 2007 Exige S, 2008 ZX-10R, 2016 Taco
Peaty and OldGuy are right,

unless my basic electrical knowledge is seriously flawed.

San
Old 01-25-2004, 03:09 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Subaru Impreza WRX 2002
Originally posted by OldGuy
"If you connected two grounding wires to the same point, which has less resistance -- the pure copper grounding wires, or the steel or aluminum frame member or engine block? The copper wire, of course. Thus, the electricity would simply continue through the copper wire, and not exit at the ground point."

Actually, the resistance of two wires in parallel, is less than the resistance than either of the two individual wires.

I can post a nice formula for it if you like.
Oh, I'm certain you can! But that's my point exactly -- if you have 2+ wires connected to the ground point, and those wires have MUCH lower resistance than the ground point itself, then how can you be certain that the polarity is at the end you need it to be? If the point of the grounding kit is to reduce the overall electrical load of the engine compartment and frame to zero, then the ground wires should be moving current from areas of high potential to areas of low potential. The multiple connections to single ground points just seems redundant, and might just cause reverse current flow. Heck, most cars I have owned in the past just had the battery, fuse box and engine block grounded, and that was it...

Considering the cost of these kits (and the markup over what the wire itself would cost if you just bought it bulk) I'm just skeptical that you need that much wire with that large gague to make an effective ground. And as I noted in the other thread, I have seen the effects of an improperly grounded car (DEAD BATTERY) firsthand -- you don't solve an electrical problem by just throwing wire at it!
Old 01-25-2004, 11:28 PM

Car Info: 2016 Z51 C7, 2007 Exige S, 2008 ZX-10R, 2016 Taco
I did this mod myself.

I honestly thought there was some improvement.

San
Attached Thumbnails Grounding mod?-ground.jpg  
Old 02-08-2004, 03:34 PM

Car Info: 2003 wrx impreza wagon silver
Grounding Mod Complete.

Thank you to all the fine people on I-Club who have given me the knowledge and insight on how to do the grounding mod

After reading many different way's on how to do this mod i've decided to do it this way:

For $50 dollars i made my own kit using:
1) 1 gold plated battery terminal with 2 top mounted 5/16 bolts for attaching ring connectors.from auto zone.
2) 18' of 8 gauge wire only used about 14' from sounddomain.com
3) 3' of 4 gauge wire.sounddomain.com
4) 12 gold plated 5/16 ring connectors for 8 gauge wire.sound domain.
5) 2' shrink tubing. from local harware store.

I used 5 grounding points ommiting the strut towers because i felt the rubber bushings made for a bad ground. I will however in the future add the 2 strut grounds to see if there is a difference.

5 grounding points i used are: All 8 gauge wire.
1) DS fender next to battery.
2) PS fender next to air box.
3) DS intake manifold.
4) PS intake manifold.
5) Firewall behind the intercooler.

What i did differently is replace the stock 8 gauge battery wire that grounds to the MGP (main grounding point) located underneath the intercooler on the engine block, with 4 gauge wire. Also replacing the stock 8 gauge DS fender ground with 8 gauge wire and gold connectors i made from my kit.

Results:
a) no difference starting in cold weather.
b) no differnence at idle.
c) lights slightly brigher.
d) noticable difference through-out RPM range...much smoother.
Old 02-08-2004, 07:02 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2004 WRBlue WRX sedan
I just installed my kit, and i've noticed...

(drum role please...)

NOTHING!

Maybe i just need to pay closer attention. Or maybe i just didn't get good grounding points. Who knows.
Old 02-10-2004, 09:12 AM

www.paranoidfabrications.com makes them for a good price i got mine from there. When you say you feel nothing its because its not supposed to be a bigger turbo just smooth out the rpms and kinda make it a nicer engine feel(yea that doent make sense but basically what it does)

oh yea the link i posted the guy sells em for 30 bucks so woulda been cheaper to get it form him hah
Old 02-10-2004, 02:07 PM

when i ghettorigged my grounding mod, i felt jack ish. although i didnt get shocked anymore! i used to get shocked from the key while its still in the ignition. but that happens on rare occasions.
Old 02-10-2004, 02:48 PM

I would pay 150 just to not get shocked anymore. Am I the only one who uses the ghetto method of touching the window and holding it till my foot touches the ground. I get shocked everytime if I dont.

Im one of those weird people who cant wear watches either. If I wear an electronic watch for a few days, it dies. IM A FREAK OF NATURE!!!
Old 02-10-2004, 03:55 PM

Car Info: WR Blue WRX
zunus - You are one big conductor of electricity! LOL....Ladies watch out!

Brian

Flash N Dash Performance
Old 02-11-2004, 10:00 AM

Maybe ill just put dryer sheets in the back pockets of my jeans. Or interweave them into my undies
Old 02-11-2004, 11:11 AM

Car Info: WR Blue WRX
"interweave them into my undies" ..... ROTFLMAO!! That should be a fun!

Brian

Flash N Dash Performance
Old 02-11-2004, 12:56 PM

Car Info: 19' Impreza Sport Manual / 99 Miata / 13' OB
The way I figure it is if one little ground of all the many they have can effect so much:

http://www.endwrench.com/pdf/elec/GroundsInfoS00.pdf

Having more and better ones can't hurt.

Quick Reply: Grounding mod?