Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

exhaust db level questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 04:20 AM

Car Info: 05 WRX
Question exhaust db level questions

I live in connecticut and I checked out the DMV laws for db level laws and for under 35 mph it says 74 db and for 35 mph and up it says 84 db and 74 db for idle, but that is 50 ft behind the vehicle and all the aftermarket exhaust I've seen are usually around 100+. I was wondering if when they determine the db level for aftermarket if that was just a few feet away from exhuast and if anyone knows anywhere that measures db level for aftermarket exhaust 50 ft behind like DMV. I always here those crappy civics that sound like bees or lawnmowers driving down the street and harleys that are too loud and never see cops bother them. The reason I want to know the legal thing is if I find out the Blitz Nur Spec R is within the legal limit (and if it sounds deep and throaty) I will be getting it to put fear in the hearts of those rejects with civics just because Fast and Furious. thanks for any info
Old 07-21-2005, 05:34 AM

Car Info: '08 WRB SG model D
Wink

Well it really depends on your states laws and how lenient the cops are in your town. If you are seeing other cars all over the place w/ obnoxious fart cans, than I think you should be okay. If you are worried just grab a Borla Hush...or a stealthback w/ the stock STi exhaust...keeps it more stealthy for the silent kills.

Also, please don't say "Fast and Furious"...that drives me crazy and those movies are down right awful...
Old 07-21-2005, 10:01 AM

i said "fast and furious" because after that movie came out everybody here was like "i'm getting a civic with a spoon engine and a motec system exhaust" everyone up here is fake when it comes to the import/tuner scene. they got into it because the movies not for the love of the cars. i also hate how after the movie everything was "fast and furious"
Old 07-21-2005, 10:08 AM

Honestly, the power made with the Blitz NurSpec is great, but damn that thing is LOUD! Not like a Honda annoyingly loud, but head turning (especially Cop head turning) loud. My friend had one and when he started his car, a Cop getting out of a Starbucks heard it and froze and just stared at us. We weren't even out of the parking lot when he lit us up. I would suggest the APS turboback system if you can spend around 1k for avery well built system.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:31 AM

Car Info: 03 MBP WRX
If you are worried about the police, get a dual tip exhaust. I have the vishnu dual tip and it looks just like stock, but it sounds awesome. Other good dual tips are perrin, stromung and borla hush. Must police officers are looking for the N1 style canister exhausts, and if they see you with one of those most likely you will get stopped even if it is within the legal db limit.
Old 07-21-2005, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by scrWrx
I live in connecticut and I checked out the DMV laws for db level laws and for under 35 mph it says 74 db and for 35 mph and up it says 84 db and 74 db for idle, but that is 50 ft behind the vehicle and all the aftermarket exhaust I've seen are usually around 100+. I was wondering if when they determine the db level for aftermarket if that was just a few feet away from exhuast and if anyone knows anywhere that measures db level for aftermarket exhaust 50 ft behind like DMV. I always here those crappy civics that sound like bees or lawnmowers driving down the street and harleys that are too loud and never see cops bother them. The reason I want to know the legal thing is if I find out the Blitz Nur Spec R is within the legal limit (and if it sounds deep and throaty) I will be getting it to put fear in the hearts of those rejects with civics just because Fast and Furious. thanks for any info

There's no way a cop would be able to measure your dB level when going 35 mph or any speed for that matter. It won't be accurate at all. In order for them to measure your dB level accurately, your car has to be stopped in a somewhat quiet area (otherwise other noises will affect the dB level).

The way they measure it in california, is to have a dB meter 18 inches from the exhaust tip at a slight angle, and revved up to a certain rpm. I got pulled over for my exhaust (Hks catback only), so I went to the state ref to get it tested. They revved the car to 4500 rpms and I passed somewhere in the 92.7 dB range. Slightly higher (roughly 5300 rpms) and it was above 95.5 dB.

But let me tell you right now, you won't pass any noise test with a Blitz Nur Spec catback.
Old 07-21-2005, 02:57 PM

I was looking into the Perrin dual tip because I like the sleeper look I just want an exhaust that will scare those posers in there civics and sound nice and throaty (like basically all the wrx's i've heard, love the boxer engine) I want it to be loud when I push it but reasonable when regular crusing has anyone heard it, and if any sound clips that would be good. I found one at the perrin site and I wasn't hating it I just want to know if that is how it sounds on a stock wrx
Old 07-21-2005, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by scrWrx
I was looking into the Perrin dual tip because I like the sleeper look I just want an exhaust that will scare those posers in there civics and sound nice and throaty (like basically all the wrx's i've heard, love the boxer engine) I want it to be loud when I push it but reasonable when regular crusing has anyone heard it, and if any sound clips that would be good. I found one at the perrin site and I wasn't hating it I just want to know if that is how it sounds on a stock wrx

it's just as loud as the blitz I think. I dunno, I've only heard catless perrin exhausts, but they are effin loud.

sound clips:
http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?t=58111

Last edited by TurnWRX; 07-21-2005 at 03:07 PM.
Old 07-21-2005, 09:27 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRB WRX
Greddy Evo2...not loud but has a great sound. some say its too quiet but match it up with a downpipe and i think it sounds perfect. fully stainless steel 3" piping, it looks very nice and good hp gains.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:16 PM

Car Info: 2002 wrx
i have the blitz, i love it great gains and great awesome sound, but cops are a problem i got pulled over idling in a parking lot. it all depends on how stict the local cops are, i have 2 towns on the "no drive" zone cause i will def get pulled over. but i wouldnt trade the blitz for anything
Old 07-26-2005, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by arkracing
check ARK . we have Db tested Video clip for Exhaust system

www.arkspeedracing.com

can you give me a link to the video so that I could put it on my list of sound clips? It's like free advertising for you

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?t=58111
Old 07-26-2005, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by arkracing
Here is link with price & description & Video clip.

http://www.arkspeedracing.com/arkcmd/2704958/

no I meant if u had a direct link to the video clip