Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

enough with the exhaust noise level threads

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2003, 06:26 PM

enough with the exhaust noise level threads

if you want your car to be quiet don't modify it. the products are made to make more power, not to be quiet. if you want performance comfort can't be an issue. if you get an exhaust just don't floor it every where and it will be o.k. but you'll want to trust me because the sound is soooooooo nice! THOMAS
Old 05-20-2003, 07:23 PM

Car Info: 2001 sub. imp.
i want my car to be quiet so i dont disturb people or draw attention, but i also want mad power, so it is a compromise, but when you can find a good aftermarket exhaust that is quiet and makes good power(there are some) then that is the ideal medium. not everyone likes their car to sound like a harley everywhere they go, not to mention commuters, even with my borla headers/cat-back the drone at 70MPH is a little intruding after about 30min in the car. and everyones taste is different. not everyone likes the sound of straight pipes. different exhausts/intakes/headers/combos of all three, make different sounds, and while some may love the sound of one brand others may hate it. so the sound clips are useful
Old 05-20-2003, 09:39 PM

Car Info: '03 PSM Sedan
i want my car to be quiet so i dont disturb people or draw attention, but i also want mad power, so it is a compromise, but when you can find a good aftermarket exhaust that is quiet and makes good power(there are some) then that is the ideal medium. not everyone likes their car to sound like a harley everywhere they go
as someone who recently started a thread about exhaust noise levels, i'll second that. one of my neighbors has a honda with a loud exhaust (really loud, like 105dBa+ at 3500rpm) and it's pretty irritating. hell, you can't even lap laguna seca with an exhaust that loud, they've got a limited nuber of 'loud' days a year. i've seen people get black flagged for sound violations there. more and more tracks are to standards like that, so even hardcore club racers have to make choices between power and acceptable noise levels (for the record, i don't race but noise levels are a concern for other reasons). 'sides, i'd rather not give the CHP another reason for pulling me over
Old 05-21-2003, 03:06 PM

Car Info: 2001 sub. imp.
one of the tracks i auto-x at has a decibel limit too.
Old 05-22-2003, 11:43 AM

looks like i opened up a can of worms on this one. RELAX. What i'm trying to say is if your so worried about the noise just leave the stock axle back on and get rid of the cats. Maybe i used this as a bad example. The thing that realy bothers me is the guys who lower there car to about 1" of the ground then they complain about the ride, guys who put a straight thruogh muffler on then complain it's to loud well no **** it's a straight through design. guys who put racing seats in, then complain it's to hard on them. yea well there RACING SEATS! the list goes on and on. I'm not trying to pis anybody off, so don't take it the wrong way. it's just these things in general that get me.
anybody else with me? THOMAS
Old 05-22-2003, 01:15 PM

Car Info: '03 PSM Sedan
okay, making mods and then complaining about the side affects because you didn't take into consideration the associated noise level/ride quality/seat comfort/etc is pretty stupid. everyone knows that straight pipes are loud, slamming your car ruins it's ride quality, and that non adjustable race seats probably aren't as easy on your rear as the stock seats, or at least they should. asking whether a specific muffler is overly loud, or how badly a certain set of coilovers degrades the ride quality of the car is being smart and doing your research so that you don't feel the need to complain later on. everyone has varrying opinions on how much noise/vibration/etc. is excessive, and how much they're willing to sacrifice to improve performance.