Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

Diagnostics

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 08:05 AM

Car Info: EQ Tuned * Corn Juiced '05 WRX
Diagnostics

So0o0o....my car just seems to have a slew of problems one right after the other.... =/

In short, I went in to my subaru dealership for an oil leak inspection Friday and we ended up having to re-do the oil pan gasket sealant to make sure it was a perfect seal. Now my car is acting all kinds of crazy, like it did right after all the bolt on parts before my tune with EQ (VERY sluggish hitting boost, and when I do, it's not normal, it lugs its way up, sounds like something is loose or rattling, coming from around the engine area, brakes or wheels squeal a little -- I tried bleeding the brakes a lil to see if that helped anything, didnt do much, etc).

When I start the car up, it doesn't sound like it did before, but when it idles, it sounds SOLID like nothing is wrong. I'll be driving, put it in neutral and the RPMs will drop as low as 250RPM and then climb back up, etc etc etc. It feels like it's going to die on me every time I'm in neutral.

My actual guess is that once the oil pan was taken off, that created a huge pressure difference. IDK..I'm bringing it back monday to see whatsup. I have a tentative appointment with EQ Tuning on Wednesday pending Ed's schedule; originally we were going to do an exhaust pressure test, boost leak test, etc., but now it seems like I'll have to see what they can do about it, if at all anything, lol

I also do have an STI 2.5L oil pan on there for my EL headers, which obviously holds more oil than the WRX 2.0L oil pan...so MAYBE when they drained the oil on my car and re-sealed the oil pan correctly, they forgot to add in more oil after. But I added a quart of oil to see if it made a difference; nope, nothing.

Anything you guys can think of before I bring it back to the dealership and they charge me $$$...they better fix whatever is wrong for me because essentially, they caused it..am I wrong?

Thanks!
Old 11-07-2010, 08:09 AM

oh, I also forgot to add that lately I've noticed that I'm going through my radiator coolant like crazy. I'll fill it up to the full line and a couple days to a week later, it's already back at low...maybe I'm burning through it?
Old 11-07-2010, 08:36 AM
Token Toyota Mod

Car Info: Something german
It's odd that replacing a pan gasket would cause your car to go all crazy unless it was tuned with a bad seal. I'd just take it back to the shop who worked on your car and have them look into your issue.

As for your coolant disappearing, check for leaks around the hoses. If there are none, you might want to "taste" your exhaust fumes. If it tastes sweet it might be burning coolant which could be a head gasket issue. :I

good luck dude and keep us posted.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:46 AM

AHHHHH! That's probably why, it actually was tuned on a bad seal because I had parts installed by a friend of mine prior to my tune with EQ and that oil pan was one of them, so that's probably why. But then again, the leak wasn't anything big, but you could be right. If that's true, then I just wasted a ton of money on my tune... =/

As for the radiator coolant, no hoses are loose or anything as nothing drips. I haven't "tasted" the exhaust fumes but whenever I walk by, it smells "sweet" like not quite foul smelling but I can definitely smell the exhaust fumes from being catless
Old 11-07-2010, 10:34 PM

bump!
Old 11-07-2010, 11:12 PM

Car Info: E85 Tuned
Just remember after your boost and pressure test the system, depending on results, that might require you to have a full retune over again man.
happened to me.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:22 PM

Car Info: 2004 WW Evo RS
Taking it back to ED to get fixed?
Old 11-08-2010, 12:13 AM

Yeah, I figured as much I'll have to get retuned again after my boost/exhaust pressure test. I basically wasted money on my first tune... =/

Well, wednesday is tentatively scheduled ONLY for the exhaust/boost pressure testing, so if Ed happens to schedule me for the day and all goes well (all leaks fixed, if any), then I would have to make another appointment to get retuned to fix everything.

I really just hope that once my pressure testing is done and is all fixed, getting retuned will fix everything...*sigh*
Old 11-08-2010, 01:48 AM

Car Info: 01 Forester Sports
Who did your oil pan replacement and header install??
Old 11-08-2010, 01:54 AM

a friend of mine who used to work at steven's creek subaru installed the headers, oil pan and a bunch of the other parts
Old 11-08-2010, 03:03 AM

Car Info: 2004 WW Evo RS
Good luck, ask Ed for some loving over there! Depending how bad it is, I would think the tune would just need to be fine tuned. Just pray it's something simple, and not the green gremlin
Old 11-08-2010, 07:50 PM

I need to call them up sometime tomorrow to check on the status for wednesday to see if it's a go or no-go for the testing. it turns out I have no school thursday, so hopefully they have a slot on thursday for another tune....idk....i hope....GAH......
Old 11-08-2010, 09:03 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
I'm confused; your car was running fine after being tuned but started acting up only after he pan was resealed?
If the pan was so poorly sealed, it would have also caused a HUGE oil leak.

Please keep us informed on the solution.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:41 PM

Paul,

I am confused too. I really don't know what the f*ck is going on, and the only explanation I can think of is really the deal with the oil pan, but I don't know why replacing the sealant on the oil pan would cause such a big difference like that (my thoughts would be it had to do with a pressure difference like I said before, but maybe I'm over thinking it). But like someone before me suggested, could've been that I was tuned on a bad seal (but then again that goes back to what you said as well).

After a bunch of parts was installed, my car was running all crazy like (I posted up a thread and , but that was expected from all the bolt on parts and no tune right away. After my tune, everything was fine tuned and ran dandy.

The oil leak wasn't a huge leak. If I let my car parked in the driveway over night, next morning there would be an oil leak about the size of a quarter, but that's about it.

I just tried reflashing previous maps, custom EQ tuned map, custom GST tuned map, limp 16G map from COBB...still the same results. I think I'll keep the ECU flashed to my EQ tuned map and parked in my driveway until I can lockdown a slot ASAP for a pressure test and most likely another dynotune...fml.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:46 PM

Oh yeah, and I forgot my CEL is on too...and I tried to clear a bunch of codes...couldn't do it for some reason...maybe I'll try it agian later

Quick Reply: Diagnostics