Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

BOV questions?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2005, 01:30 AM

Cool BOV questions?

Running a stock 05 wrx. Looking at blow off valves first off questions: are the 100% atmospheric BOVs a waste of money? 50/50s work better on stock? Not looking for something very quiet not obnoxious either.
Old 08-06-2005, 02:36 AM

Car Info: wht 04 wrx=RIP 02' GPW s2000
i think the stock bov is the best choice, since your car is still stock. Any aftermarket bov would be a waste of $$$$. Spend it on parts that'll actually give you "performance."
Old 08-06-2005, 11:40 AM

Car Info: 2003 WRX Sedan
i agree with hk_subi.

spend the money on a new exhaust or up-pipes and down-pipes. that would be your first good place to start with some extra hp and performance.

if you really want to get a bov just for the sound i'd take a look at the hks super sequential bov or the blitz super sound bov. the blitz is a little quieter than the hks but the both sound pretty good. in terms of bov's, stay away from turbo xs, way too loud and cheeply made.

that's just my opinion
Old 08-06-2005, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Turbo86
i agree with hk_subi.

spend the money on a new exhaust or up-pipes and down-pipes. that would be your first good place to start with some extra hp and performance.

if you really want to get a bov just for the sound i'd take a look at the hks super sequential bov or the blitz super sound bov. the blitz is a little quieter than the hks but the both sound pretty good. in terms of bov's, stay away from turbo xs, way too loud and cheeply made.

that's just my opinion

Thing is... i dont want to void my warranty. They told me suspension is ok to mod, a catback is ok and a CAI, but i cant mess with the ECU and cant mess with the turbo so i guess i cant get pipes, that = sad face. Otherwise believe you me, i wouldnt be doing anything but performance mods.
Old 08-06-2005, 08:44 PM
VIP Member

Location: Are you too one of the few still living the past? Well I can change that! With a simple wicket. Yes, my friend, a wicket. PM for details.
Car Info: No car right now....sob.
Originally Posted by BlkScoob
Thing is... i dont want to void my warranty. They told me suspension is ok to mod, a catback is ok and a CAI, but i cant mess with the ECU and cant mess with the turbo so i guess i cant get pipes, that = sad face. Otherwise believe you me, i wouldnt be doing anything but performance mods.

Well, let's look at this correectly. First of all, your warranty never becomes void with mods, the dealer can refuse to do service and or replace your parts, but it doesn't void it. Secondly, a BOV won't be warranty friendly, at least not to my knowledge. It messes with the A/F ratio, so one would think that the dealer might look at that and therefore refuse to do warranty work.

As for the question at hand, I run a GReddy Type-S BOV, which is nice. It's not very loud, and you can adjust it. It hasn't caused me any issues yet, but I am running a catless up-pipe, down-pipe and cat-back with intake.
Old 08-06-2005, 11:40 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRB WRX
a bov is just one of those things where if you have the money for one, and want that sexy poooooooosh of air noise... then what the hell... just go get one.. some people say its bad for your car, but when it comes down to it, over a reallly long period of time it will possible hurt your car, but you probly wont have the car as long as it would take... i say that a bov is awesome.. i say go for it... The forge is a great nicely well-crafted peice, as well is the hks ssq if you have a little more dough... and the greddy type-s like previous stated sounds nice without gettin to obnoxious...
Old 08-07-2005, 12:56 PM

if you're interested i have one of the 50/50 hybrid bov's for sale...its a gfb hybrid that can be used in 50/50, 100% recirc (like stock) or 100% atmospheric. it comes with all plates to do whichever setup you want when you want. pm me if your're interested and i can post up a pic for ya. looking for something around 200 depending on shipping. let me know!
Old 08-07-2005, 06:12 PM

Car Info: ra trans w vf34
Any bov sounds very cool when you first get it. I got very sick of mine after a while. When I upgraded my turbo along with all supporting mods I went back to the oem recirculating valve. Take everyone's word for it, its a waste of money.