Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

Anybody use water injection?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2003, 11:50 PM
@Stoptech

Car Info: 2002 WRX Wagon
peter, one of the mistakes you're making is assuming that one HP on one dyno is equal to one HP on another dyno. as we all know, shiv's dyno dynamics dyno reads lower than just about any other dyno in the country (and shiv will argue that it is the most accurate as well). the power differences you speak of between shiv's WI tunes and other WI tunes can be explained, at least partially, by the consistently low readings of shiv's dyno dynamics dynamometer.

i believe there is an article on the vishnu website (or at least a post here or on nasioc) that more specifically describes the difference in power readings between shiv's and other dynos. for reference, a friend's car with STi v7 motor and tranny running 15 PSI recently made ~260 AWHP on shiv's dyno in pleasanton, and immediately went to ATP's dyno in fremont and made ~310 AWHP. altitude may have a small part to play in the differences in those numbers, but it mostly has to do with the manufacturer and calibration of the dynos.

ed, thanks for your unbiased and objective research on this topic. peter, thanks for helping to facilitate this discussion and continuing to ask questions.

-tim
"interested observer"
Old 12-28-2003, 03:25 AM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
Peter, I promise to get to this question in a thorough manner. I've been kicking around some ideas that aren't favorable for water injection, and some that are, but I want to be as specific and detailed as possible when I do. I must say, however, that this is one of the most informative and well-articulated threds I've taken part in. Kudos to all for keeping everything on a very objective plane and strictly in the interest of knowledge. Forgive me for my lack of timeliness in responding. Have faith- I missed this thread for over 2 months the first time, and it's only been a week this time.
Old 12-28-2003, 02:02 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: want a WRX
I'm going to ask imprezer to sticky this thread for free, cuz this is probably the most informatvie thread i've ever seen. Great info guys!
Old 12-28-2003, 02:09 PM

Car Info: 2016 Z51 C7, 2007 Exige S, 2008 ZX-10R, 2016 Taco
Yeah,

this is a good thread and some of the referenced material is on my hard drive.

San
Old 12-28-2003, 02:36 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
Originally posted by awns729
I'm going to ask imprezer to sticky this thread for free, cuz this is probably the most informatvie thread i've ever seen. Great info guys!
Stickied.
Old 12-29-2003, 11:39 AM

Car Info: 2004 Impreza WRX
This is my first post to this forum ..

I recently bought a 2004 WRX and I can already tell that this car has some real good potential.

I sold my 1995 Talon to buy the subaru and I was using water injection on it for about four months .. until i got so fed up with constantly tuning the a/f about every two or so weeks that i pulled it off.

I don't like water injection right now but my mind isn't totally made up .. maybe i will have a use for it in the future but right now i dont know enough about it to make it work for me.

but here is where i learned what i do know about it.

http://users.frii.com/maphill/wi.html
Old 12-30-2003, 01:44 PM

Car Info: 2004 Impreza WRX
I was using the spearco system and my timing was always advancing far beyond where it should have been .. that mitsubishi engine was a pain. But a least its gone now and i have a new toy to paly with .. maybe ill give WI on the subaru a shot .. just not right now "its still stock".

Quick Reply: Anybody use water injection?