Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

another ? about egt

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2004, 10:43 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2016 Acura RDX ... meh. Um, nice subwoofer?
No, you do not want an EGT probe there. Yes, it breaking up and killing your turbine is a possibility, but not likely. The reason you don't want it there is because its too cold a spot to get useful readings. I have my EGT probe on the header plenum only about an inch from the exhaust port on the head... and yes, if it was destroyed it would chew up the turbine. The chances of that happening are far less than the chances of wrecking your engine from running high EGTs. Don't bother installing an EGT gauge if you don't put the probe in a useful place. Anywhere near the turbo, before or after, is too cold to be useful.

jason
Old 09-08-2004, 12:18 PM

Car Info: 02' WRX
Originally Posted by mmboost
No, you do not want an EGT probe there. Yes, it breaking up and killing your turbine is a possibility, but not likely. The reason you don't want it there is because its too cold a spot to get useful readings. I have my EGT probe on the header plenum only about an inch from the exhaust port on the head... and yes, if it was destroyed it would chew up the turbine. The chances of that happening are far less than the chances of wrecking your engine from running high EGTs. Don't bother installing an EGT gauge if you don't put the probe in a useful place. Anywhere near the turbo, before or after, is too cold to be useful.

jason
It depends actually. While you're right about the uppipe not being a totally ideal location do to our rather long header primaries, it does have the advantage of A: giving you the "whole picture" and B: letting you know what the turbos enduring. With non-balanced fuel rails especially on our cars, one cylinder may not reflect the others, this is why on turbo cars people typically try to play EGT probes in collectors etc to ensure that they're getting a reading from across the board, as well as being able to see what actual turbine inlet temperature is.