Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

AFR gauge help

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2003, 09:29 PM

Car Info: www.tristatetuners.com
Unhappy AFR gauge help

I installed an autometer AFR gauge in my 02 WRX. From what I hear, the meter should be bouncing between rich and lean like a grasshopper on crack while at idle. Mine seems to only sweep in the bottom end of the range, usually saying it is very lean. While driving normally, it seems to be off the range lean, and go to stoich only when on full throttle. It will read lean or very low stoich when driving normally, but when I shift, it drops below the lowest lean LED and looks like it isn't even on(no LED's lit at all). Is my gauge bad or is my car running REALLY lean? I am running very light mods, catback exhaust, CAI, boost controller, and BOV.
Thanks
Old 05-05-2003, 10:34 PM
VIP Member

where is the sensor the gauge is using

If your using the rear O2 sensor and have any cats infront of it, it will not give you any useful info as the cats will make the AFR very lean.

The Autometer and other simple AFR gauges are pretty near useless for tuning as they have a very narrow range of response.

Larry
Old 05-07-2003, 12:00 AM

Car Info: 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX
If your using the rear O2 sensor and have any cats infront of it, it will not give you any useful info as the cats will make the AFR very lean.

The Autometer and other simple AFR gauges are pretty near useless for tuning as they have a very narrow range of response.

Larry

Are you saying that the Autometer AFR gauge is cheap? I am thinking about getting it, and I would like to know. I also have a cat-back and CAI. However, I would install the AFR gauge in front of the cats.

By the way, I go to the Academy. Where in Colorado are you from?

Andy
Old 05-07-2003, 12:37 AM

Car Info: Boosted Geo Prizm
Originally posted by psychobooe

Are you saying that the Autometer AFR gauge is cheap? I am thinking about getting it, and I would like to know. I also have a cat-back and CAI. However, I would install the AFR gauge in front of the cats.

By the way, I go to the Academy. Where in Colorado are you from?

Andy
It's not that it's cheap persay, it's just not an ideal tuning tool. Since it uses only a 1V sensor, it does not have the resolution nor accuracy to give true readings.

Save your money for better gauges like Boost, EGT, Oil pressure, water temp, etc. If you are hell bent on a O2 kit, look at the Techedge unit. www.techedge.com.au
Old 05-07-2003, 06:32 AM

Car Info: 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX
teiva-boy,

Well, are the Autometer boost, EGT, and oil pressure gauges good quality? I'm highly considering purchasing them, and I was under the impression that they are high quality gauges.
Thanks.

Andy
Old 05-07-2003, 06:36 AM
VIP Member

Get a wide band if anything

Yes I agree get a techedge or similar true wide band if you want to use AFR for tuning. Just remember there are a lot of basic things you should have first.

Like Tevia-boy says, boost, egt are musts, a means to monitor and log like delta dash is almost essential to make good use of a wide band AFR if your not on a dyno.

I will be getting a techedge v1.5 here soon.

I live in the Denver area, but years ago was stationed a few miles south of you in a mountain.

Larry