Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

2 questions on boost

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2003, 01:21 PM

Car Info: 2004 WRX
Question 2 questions on boost

Just purchased a new 2004 WRX. great car, however i am new to turbocharging. my other vehicle is a 2001 Lightning, and i have made some mods to keep full boost between shifts with the supercharger. with a TURBO, however, i loose alot of boost between shifts, even when i flat shift it.

1) what do i do to keep boost up between shifts ? is there a modification (as i said, i modded my boost bypass on my lightning) or shift technique ?

2) if i add a manual boost controller, and limit boost to an additional pound or two to be safe, do i need to add more fuel via PCM reflash, or other methods, or will computer compensate

thanks in advance - i am very impressed with the new WRX - love everything about it !

Dave
Old 10-23-2003, 01:24 PM

you can get a MBC but dont' go over 15 , 16psi at the MAX
you wont need a reflash, just reset your ecu, make sure you do it in small increments rather tahn setting boost at 15 your first go
Old 10-23-2003, 01:52 PM

Car Info: 2004 WRX
Daredevil:
thank you very much for quick response. i appreciate the advice on creeping up on max boost. settled on TurboXS manual single stage (79 bucks at summit). i also appears that the WRX has an electronic boost limiter that must be defeated. i found instructions for that on turboxs web site.. i assume also that 'reset of ECU' is done by disconnecting negative terminal of battery, turn lights on to drain residual , etc. is that correct ?

thanks again !
Dave
Old 10-23-2003, 08:16 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: want a WRX
yeah disconnect the neg terminal, depress the brake pedal for 5 seconds...thats what vishnu recommended
Old 10-23-2003, 10:03 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
wrxlover, there is no way to prevent some boost loss between shifts on a turbocharged car (I know some of you reading this are screaming "Anti-lag!" at the screen right now, but I don't think that's an appropriate solution for this particular member). Make sure you are running the factory bypass valve, or a 100% recirculating aftermarket blow off valve. The reason you don't seem to be losing boost with the Lightning is that the compressor is always spinning at the speed needed to create boost, because its speed is directly tied to the crank speed. Problem is, the turbo compressor slows down between shifts due to the lack of exhaust energy to drive it. All you can do is try to use the boost it has to spin the compressor back up from the inducer side.

As for the boost controller, be careful with it. Don't raise it past 15.5 and make sure to watch your boost guage for spikes. If you don't have a boost guage, DON'T get a boost controller of any kind. You won't need to reset the ECU however.
Old 10-24-2003, 12:58 AM

i thought you reset the ECU by disconnecting the batter both positve and negative and push them against each other for 60 seconds...
tahts what i've been doin

(im getting the greddy profec b spec 2) which i beleve comes with a boost controller
please correct me if im wrong
Old 10-24-2003, 03:20 AM

i would suggest that you get an ECU reflash, asap. you won't need to control boost since the ECU regulates boost. however, you also have your timing advanced which will run leaner conditions and higher EGT's, which is okay with proper tuning. this is also good to get that turbo spooling faster, i.e. better low end response or lag reduction. basically in a reflash, all important aspects of engine management are enhanced timing, boost, and fuel. you won't need a boost controller with a reflash. if you want to tune your own car, you could buy a UTEC, which is basically the same, however keeps your options open in terms of running bigger turbo's, injectors, etc. since you'll need proper maps for reflashes.

now, if you really want to get things cooking, get a turboback or catback, downpipe and up-pipe, then reflash to a stage 2. now, this will make you grin from ear to ear, well, based on my experience. there are ups and downs for the different tuners that do reflashes, don't get your mind set on the question of who's better and what not. right now, it's so diverse, it's really up to you and what you want to do. it may also be good to get your hands on some books for reading when you're on the crapper or something, it really helps. it's always good to research what you're going to buy.
Old 10-24-2003, 10:44 AM

Car Info: Sonic Yellow WRX
cobb stage 2

I got 188hp and 187 with a turboback and ic hoses. I will soon install a helix uppipe and have a reflash by cobb to their stage 2. The turboback is nice but not enough.