Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

12's..... WRX vs. STi.......

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2005, 11:56 AM

Car Info: Silver 09 STI
12's..... WRX vs. STi.......

im probably beatin a dead horse here but i did a couple searches and couldnt find anything. whats it take to get an 02 WRX into the mid 12's compared to what it takes to get an STi into the mid 12's? how much would drivablitly be affected on both. and would that be pushing the limit on the stock tranny and bottom end for both as well? tryin to decided which is the way to go for me. pretty much is the STi worth the money as far as a straight liner. im not only gonna be draggin the car, im gonna auto-X it too, its just my local drag strip is only like a half an hour away and all my friends go out there.
Old 01-25-2005, 12:46 PM

Car Info: '94 Mustang GT Convertable, '93 Civic Hatchback
STI is the only way to go.
Old 01-25-2005, 02:11 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Version 7.5 2002 STi
If you're going to auto-x, the STI is the way to go. You get a better car (stock) including better tires, brakes, sway bars. For drag, I wouldn't knock the WRX, since there have been a bunch here in Hawaii in the 12s while the STi's are just breaking into it. There are more *proven* mods available right now for the EJ20 than the EJ25. But you are starting with a faster car by going with the STI.
Old 01-25-2005, 03:30 PM

so the STi is worth the extra cost, or can i spend the extra money ide save on the WRX over time and build a better handeling, better stopping, faster car? i also have a thing for the bugeyes. are 12's possible with the stock turbo, block and tranny on both cars?n what mods would it take for each?
Old 01-25-2005, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by 2StepsAhead
Yes, take a look at QTP (Quick Time Performance) 12.7 on a stock turbo (WRX, not STi), he has an intake, UTEC, header and a cutout I believe.

The STi is obviously easier to make faster since they run about a full second faster in the 1/4 then the WRX's do, but if I had to do it all over again I would still go bug eye and eventually swap in a jdm engine and trans. I know alot of people say just go with the STi but I like building something and I also lov the bug eye...and now I can't justify trading in my WRX and losing money just to spend more buying the STi and then modding it...if I had to do it all over again I would buy a used 02 and save that money and put it towards a jdm engine and trans...just my .02
how much are the JDM engine and tranny? what kind of power could the JDM engine and tranny handle? im gonna have 8 hours a week of shop time this semester and i have pretty much any tool, lift, and knowledgable instructors at my disposal. so this would be a great time to get to moddin on something. its either this or put a blower on my cobra!
Old 01-25-2005, 05:36 PM

Car Info: 2005blackwrx5spd
if you are chasing numbers you will never be happy, depending how much you want to comprimise between a stock car and a race car. If you want a stock car with bolt ons, that runs that fast get the STI , if you want to save a few pennies here and there and build your own beast get a wrx. I've already done quite a bit to my wrx, and now it doesn't have any stock feal to the car. It rattles, smells, guzzles gas, it's loud as hell. But it's fast, there is the trade off. If you want to do a lot get a wrx, parts are plenty, options are plenty. If you want to run a mid 12 with a couple parts get a STI, TBE, engine management, and enjoy a fast basically stock car.
Old 01-25-2005, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by WRX2ndregime
It rattles, smells, guzzles gas, it's loud as hell.
dude, i drive a cobra, that will be nohting that im not used to. i was just curiosu what kind of potential these babies have. one of my buddies has an 03 cobra is runnin 11.7@126 on street tires, my other friends are runnin similar times with other stangs and camaros. i just want to have something to bring to the table that will get some respect from them. i saw an STi hit an 11.8 or so at my local track, i have no idea what mods he has, i just wanna know if something like taht is posible in a WRX.
Old 01-25-2005, 05:56 PM

Car Info: 2005blackwrx5spd
deffinatly possible, chances of getting respect probably not possible.

Making a cobra fast is pully's and a beast exhaust, there really isn't a science into making a shart load of power out of that setup, making it hook is another story.

deffinatly have to do some work, to run in the 11's. The 11.80 sti on here I believe was running a TBE, and ecu tuned to 100+ octane, so pretty decently high boost levels. If you want to go that fast, get an STI, the tranny will hold the power better. If you want to run that on a WRX, the trans is the weak link. But a mid 12 on a stock tranny should be obtainable.
Old 01-25-2005, 07:33 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: want a WRX
To match all aspects of an STI's performance, after the price of a new WRX, you'd be better off buying the STi and modding it.

Buttt, if you can find a cheap used WRX and want to spend ~13k modding it, go for it.
Old 01-25-2005, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by awns729
To match all aspects of an STI's performance, after the price of a new WRX, you'd be better off buying the STi and modding it.

Buttt, if you can find a cheap used WRX and want to spend ~13k modding it, go for it.
if i was buying new it would for sure be an STi, but im not. ide be spending a max of about 18G's for the car. but are you serious that it would take 13G's to keep up with an STi? i mean $hit how much can a bottom end be??? i know you can get a new set of tranny gears for like 1500. then turbo, fuel system, exhaust, tune, brakes and suspension mods (not in that order)......... that cant be close to 13G's can it. or is it the whole block thats not strong, not just the internals? how much power can the diff's handel? the new tranny gears would go in before a new turbo BTW.
Old 01-25-2005, 09:03 PM
VIP Member

Well assuming that you're spending 15-18k on th used car. You'd have 12-16k left over before hitting the price of an STi. Thats where I was coming from. Actually 18k for bugeyes seems high, unless its great condition w/ some options.

Okay, so bottom end for maybe 1500$. THe engine is pretty strong, but with 300+ HP you may want to consider some other modificiations also, depending on how much boost. The differentials, im not too sure about, maybe someone else can answer that.

Full exhaust $800-1500.

Management, depends on what you want. Cobb's accessport or UTEC or something else? $400-1000

Tranny gears $1500.

Turbo $~600-1000? Plus fuel system and supporting mods, IC $800-1500? FMIC (and some TMIC) are > $1000. you can get a TMIC for $800.

Brakes, I'm not sure how much, but they're pretty expensive on the STi I believe. 1500$+ for a brake kit.

Suspension, Struts + Springs + strut bars + anti-lift kit(if you wanted) ~ $depends 700+ more if you want coilovers

Wheels-$800-2000, really depends what you want

Clutch + Flywheel $700

Misc. Stuff + Exterior Mods I'm sure theres some small stuff I've left out $couple hundred - couple thousand. Are you gonna get a body kit and stuff?

It'll be at least 7-8k right? Probably more.
I'm sort of guesstimating on the prices here.

Also, will you be doing all the work yourself?
-Insurance will be lower with the WRX.
-Reliability will be lower with the WRX.
-No warranty with the WRX (probably). If you mod an STi slightly, depending on what you do, you'll still have the warranty, at least on some things. Also depends on which dealer you go to.
-With the WRX you'll have the beautiful bugeye headlights.
-STi has .5 L more displacement = better lower end.

There are probably a few things I'm forgetting. But you get the idea. If you want a car thats overall better than an STi in most performance aspects, it's gonna cost you. Then again, if you get the WRX for a great price, and you concentrate on some things more than others, you can have a car for less (or smiliar) than the price of an STi that suits your needs better. Good luck.

Edit: Also there are some little things with the STi, DCCD, IC Spray, Interior is better. Wing. Hoodscoop is longer. 05's also have some improvements (do a search for 'changes in 2005' or something like that. Plus just buying the STi involves much less work. It really depends on what you want exactly.

Last edited by awns729; 01-25-2005 at 09:07 PM.
Old 01-25-2005, 09:33 PM

thanx for all the info. i was figuring under 10K for all the goodies. all the work will be done by me and my instructors at school. no body kits here, and modest 17" wheels. im not into the whole bling bling thing. how much of a differnence does the DCCD make honestly? and i can fab an IC sprayer. like i said this will be over time, im not made of money, but ill have about 800-1200 a month of spending money so it wont take too long to get her all together. so with all those mods what kind of 1/4 mile times would i be lookin at assuming i am a decent driver?
Old 01-25-2005, 09:39 PM

a friend of mine used to be a manager at a perforamcen shop in town and he had a WRX. says the shop he used to buhy parts fomr gave it to him at 7% over cost and he said he could prolly still get those prices, he mentioned a full Greddy exhhaust for like $300. so i may have a hook up on parts too.
Old 01-25-2005, 09:50 PM
VIP Member

ah right sorry, i forgot you mentioned you could get the work done at school. thats awesome. what school/classes are in that let you do that?

im not too sure about the DCCD. i know that there are different settings on it and it can change the amount of understeer. you probably won't find much of a need for it actually but maybe an STi owner can answer the question better.

THe 1/4 mile time depends on the turbo, boost and the engine management. *probably* mid-high 12s with the right setup, maybe even low 12s. once you figure out what turbo you want you can get a better idea. also depends on how you launch the car.

if you can get hooked up on the parts, i almost definitely would go for it. that'll work out really well i think.

Quick Reply: 12's..... WRX vs. STi.......