Engine Management Cobb AccessPort, EcuTek, TEC, Motec, Link, and others. The ins and outs of high-performance engine tuning.

Wideband ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 07:08 AM

Car Info: 2004 Subaru STi in WRB
Wideband ?

So I have been looking at Wideband O2 sensors so that I can actually use my TurboXS and tune my car. I have been looking at Innovations Tunings LC-1, not the LM-1, and I had a couple of questions. The main one is in the descriptions I can find on the LM-1 is states that "you don't need a computer to view readouts" this spurs my main question... If I already have a laptop with a lot of UTEC stuff installed, would I be able to view the AFR readout on my comp and when it was unplugged only the ECU would know about whether it's running rich or lean? My other question is this. So I see a lot of people recommending these rediculously expensive Wideband sensors and they are WAY out of my price range, but then I find people who tune for a living telling people to get this kit that's only a 200 dollar kit. Is something wrong with it? Is it very cheaply made? Does it not read correctly? And lastly I suppose, what would you guys recommend for a wideband, keeping in mind that budget is a pretty large factor? I want the best bang for my buck!!!
Thanks for any help
Matt
Old 12-14-2006, 03:51 PM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
you get what you pay for

and i wouldnt want to get my AF ratios with a hunk of crap

and your questions are confusing i dont know what you are talking about

you cant use the lc1 and utec at the same time
they are sieriel port

you cant long and tune and log on the fly

you need the lm1 for that

i hope that helps but put in paragraphs next time and number your questions its hard to under stand
Old 12-14-2006, 04:44 PM

Car Info: BMW 335i/ E90
With Lc-1 you need a computer. But you can but the optional gauge. LC-1 is mostly use for data loggin. Like for running Cobbs street tuner or UTEC.
Old 12-17-2006, 08:19 PM

Sigma pi- sorry about the "confusing-ness" of my questions. I have been under a lot of stress lately so I wasn't thinking when typing up my questions.(Stress=a huge music production and finals in college)
But as for the whole computer thing, that is the only way I have to do my data logging. Since I am in college I already own a computer and I have all of the "software" or programs necessary to log.
I suppose my question is, if I have the Utec and I have the "Autologger" that is found on www.wrxhackers.com, will I be able to do the necessary tuning for my car?
I know the autologger allows for me to have a external wideband, and I know that if the wideband requires another serial port that companies make serial port to usb connectors. Let me know what you all think.

Thanks,
Matt
PS. Better Sigma?
Old 12-19-2006, 04:51 PM
9 to 5 mod

dang my lap top i used didnt let me do teh usb serial and regular serial port

but im not a computer person anymore

i just had some one drive the car and then punched numbers in

it takes longer to log then tune and then drive ect

thats why i dont use it

in hindsight maybe i should have logged a few pulls but i have moved on already
Old 12-19-2006, 04:54 PM
9 to 5 mod

oh and i had the hand held unit for air fuel and i had the computer for boost and timing

yeah it would be easier to have one thing do it all in hindsight see exactly at what point everything was happening and have it layed over

and i knwo about the stress of shcool hehe
Old 12-20-2006, 10:03 AM

Car Info: XPT Stage II '02 Sedona Red WRX 4EAT
You should check out these websites for FREE tuning and logging software, and a ton of people who are very experienced in tuning.

General website with lots of info
http://www.scoobypedia.co.uk/index.php/Knowledge/ECU

Tons of experts and other tuning related stuff here
http://www.openecu.org

and here
http://www.osecuroms.org

This is a cable that allows you to log and reflash your ecu, it is a USB to OBDII cable
http://www.tactrix.com/

Hope this helps

Chris
Old 12-23-2006, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by criscross79
You should check out these websites for FREE tuning and logging software, and a ton of people who are very experienced in tuning.

General website with lots of info
http://www.scoobypedia.co.uk/index.php/Knowledge/ECU

Tons of experts and other tuning related stuff here
http://www.openecu.org

and here
http://www.osecuroms.org

This is a cable that allows you to log and reflash your ecu, it is a USB to OBDII cable
http://www.tactrix.com/

Hope this helps

Chris
He isn't asking for tuning software.... he's asking for feedback on the Wideband O2 sensor which you MUST have to do the tune... regardless of the fact that you're using open source tuning software or paid for tuning software.
Old 12-23-2006, 01:06 PM

Car Info: ...
Aem Uego Wideband Ftw!
Old 12-28-2006, 04:28 PM

Ok I am a relative n00b when it comes to this particular forum but what does everyone mean by FTW? It's buggin the heck outta me cause I've never heard it before.
~Matt
;P
Old 01-01-2007, 06:14 AM

Car Info: 02' WRX
Originally Posted by blue2004STi
So I have been looking at Wideband O2 sensors so that I can actually use my TurboXS and tune my car. I have been looking at Innovations Tunings LC-1, not the LM-1, and I had a couple of questions. The main one is in the descriptions I can find on the LM-1 is states that "you don't need a computer to view readouts" this spurs my main question... If I already have a laptop with a lot of UTEC stuff installed, would I be able to view the AFR readout on my comp and when it was unplugged only the ECU would know about whether it's running rich or lean? My other question is this. So I see a lot of people recommending these rediculously expensive Wideband sensors and they are WAY out of my price range, but then I find people who tune for a living telling people to get this kit that's only a 200 dollar kit. Is something wrong with it? Is it very cheaply made? Does it not read correctly? And lastly I suppose, what would you guys recommend for a wideband, keeping in mind that budget is a pretty large factor? I want the best bang for my buck!!!
Thanks for any help
Matt
The main difference between the two is the LM-1 is geared more towards professional tuners who need a portable/temporary device to tune multiple cars with.And is has a built in gauge and otherstuff.The LC-1 is a permenant installation that uses software to log with and can have a gauge attached if need as well as anaolg outputs for use with ECU's/Engine management.The new Logworks2 version on Innovatives website allows you to log with Openport technology with use of a Tactrix cable.Innovative sells an "Openport" bundle kit on their website and they have been working with Enginuity as well to add LC-1/LM-1 support drivers.Sigma Pi's comment "you get what you pay for" is true in the positive sense for this unit.It is just as accurate as the LM-1 but with out all the bells and whisltles that some might not need.The software it comes with is very powerfull and has great 2D and 3d logging/graphing capabilities and Logworks 3 is just around the corner as well.