Engine Management Cobb AccessPort, EcuTek, TEC, Motec, Link, and others. The ins and outs of high-performance engine tuning.

When Should I Get A ECU Reflash?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2004, 02:35 PM

Car Info: Soon to be '03 WRX
Question When Should I Get A ECU Reflash?

I have no mods on my subby yet and was thinking of getting the ECU Reflashed but I didnt know if it would be a waste of money or not to get it flashed and then add mods. (didnt know if mods would affect how ECU needs to be flashed) I want to avoid paying to get my ECU reflashed, then getting other mods, then having to get my ECU reflashed to compensate for the new mods. Hope I havent confused you guys. Have heard horror stories about simialar situations and didnt know how true they where. Please help me out. Thanks in advance!
Old 01-22-2004, 04:28 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '02
Re: When Should I Get A ECU Reflash?

Originally posted by wrxstipwr
I have no mods on my subby yet and was thinking of getting the ECU Reflashed but I didnt know if it would be a waste of money or not to get it flashed and then add mods. (didnt know if mods would affect how ECU needs to be flashed) I want to avoid paying to get my ECU reflashed, then getting other mods, then having to get my ECU reflashed to compensate for the new mods. Hope I havent confused you guys. Have heard horror stories about simialar situations and didnt know how true they where. Please help me out. Thanks in advance!
Depends on the route you are planning on taking. I would definitely recommend the ECU Reflash as a first mod, it's great. What you plan on doing later will prob determine what route you should go.

1. If you are wanting to go a custom route(ie. huge turbo, fmic, water injection), high HP, you'd probably be best served sticking to ECUTek or a user tunable ECU such as Utec or Exede. Their advantage is the fact that you can be tuned by an ECUTek dealer(or any tuner for the utec/xede) all over the country. But they have high RE-reflash costs, so it'd be best to wait till you get some mods to get the ECU.

If you plan on going with a pretty much standard upgrade path ie. Up-pipe, Turboback, maybe a bigger IHI Turbo. You would be well served by going with Cobb's Access ECU. Once their accessport comes out (supposed to be by March) you can download a map from their webstie and use that when you get a turboback, or other one of their supplied setups. So no RE-reflash costs. So you could get the ECU first without the additional costs down the road.