Engine Management Cobb AccessPort, EcuTek, TEC, Motec, Link, and others. The ins and outs of high-performance engine tuning.

What do the experts think of these mods?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2003, 03:23 PM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
utec sucks you cant go over 15lbs of boost its safe and the bov sucks it sounds cool but you lose performance your turbo dies out and the engine doesnt adjust for it the intake looses power but sounds good i think it is worth the 15hp you lose it sounds bad *** and you wont need the bov put that on first and you can hear the stock one
Old 04-18-2003, 01:37 AM
9 to 5 mod

dont forget the cooling system super important
Old 04-25-2003, 02:11 PM

Car Info: 2000 RS coupe ej-20 swap
utec sucks????

originally posted by sigma pi
utec sucks you cant go over 15lbs of boost
Either thats a typo, or you are blowing stuff out your @$$. The utec is one of the best ecu upgrades on the market. It allows you to monitor and tune boost levels(and yes you can tune in more than 15psi), timing, fuel, and soon will give you a two stage rev-limiter, while maintaining all of the factory sensors, so you don't have to worry about installing knock sensors, and you don't have to worry about messing with A/C or cold start etc. Not to mention it's data logging capabilities. Definately worth the money. It sounds like your friend is giving you a pretty good deal. If everything is in working order. I'd tell him you don't want the blowoff valve because it confuses the ecu. The ecu uses a bypass valve which vents the air back into the intake. Where the blowoff valve vents to atmosphere, causing the computer to think something is wrong. Also forget about the CAI. Dyno tests have provent that the AEM CAI causes turbulence, and makes the MAF sensor read wrong leaning out your motor. The turbo back will give you significant gains. I'm not familiar with this particular exhaust, but gains on a turbo back are anywhere from 11 to 20whp(kakimoto being the exhaust to produce the most awhp). The other cool feature about the utec, is you simply unplug it, take about five minutes if you need to take your car to the dealer.
These are good upgrades, but don't expect 300awhp..
good luck
Old 07-20-2003, 11:01 PM
9 to 5 mod

Re: utec sucks????

Originally posted by liberty2000rs
[B
Either thats a typo, or you are blowing stuff out your @$$. The utec is one of the best ecu upgrades on the market. [/B]

thank good ness i blew my head out of my @$$ and didnt get that, you still have yours up your @$$ how is this the best? cobb is better ecutek is better, there is ahuge bulge in the foot well of the pasenger side. the cobb is ~300 ecutek is 1K utek950-1K.
the utec lets you adjust it yourself and blow your motor if you think you know what you are doing, with the others there is no guess work just tell them what you have and they do the rest

ps the bov sounds cool but if it doesnt repumb it sucks

Last edited by sigma pi; 07-20-2003 at 11:04 PM.
Old 07-22-2003, 10:36 AM

Car Info: 2000 RS coupe ej-20 swap
cobb

I'm going to have to agree with batmanalan, you're and idiot. Just incase you've forgotton how to read, I didn't say utec was the best. I believe it was written exactly like this: " utec is one of the best ecu upgrades on the market." Had you gone and worked with the utec, you too would agree. I've worked hand in hand with the utec, the cobb reflash, and the ecutek reflash. All work well, but in the end, you'll end up getting more for your money with the utec. You don't have to tune all by yourself if you don't feel comfortable doing so. Turbo Xs offers a number of pre-written maps that are downloadable to your laptop for the utec. Something any idiot with a few computer skills can do. All I can say is you need to do your homework before you start ******* someones product, and telling people what to do. Remember you may have different needs than someone else, and different capabilities than others. Stick to what suits you, and keep your mouth shut, unless you're giving meaningfull advise, or being paid to rattle off like a moron.

People offended= 2
Old 07-23-2003, 01:29 PM

Car Info: 2001 Impreza 2.5RS(Ti)
I think Sigma Pi missed the keyword in the original topic...

Quick Reply: What do the experts think of these mods?