Engine Management Cobb AccessPort, EcuTek, TEC, Motec, Link, and others. The ins and outs of high-performance engine tuning.

newbie with sti stage 2 questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 05:06 AM

Car Info: 06 STI
newbie with sti stage 2 questions

Hey guys I had a few questions regards to my 06 sti. I just purchased this from a dealer a few weeks ago. It has a catback invidea exhaust. They also had a down pipe that was removed for smog reasons.

List of Mods I have uninstalled atm

-k&n typhoon short ram
-invidea downpipe
-Afr, oil pressure, exhaust temp gauges.
-greddy turbo timer

Tuner said I should go with grimspeed uppipe and ewg and heat wrap it and the down pipe.

After toying with my ap v2. I noticed my ecu is already running stage 2 map.

The tunner said he would order the uppipe + ewg($590) install all my Mods tune and dyno my car for $1,390.

Here is my question.

Can I just run the downpipe, exhaust, intake with stage 2?
Do I "have" to have the car tuned?

I know the best route is to do it right, but I hate the way the ewg sounds. Plus car doesn't pass smog with downpipe.

Open to suggestions. Thanks everyone.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:11 AM

Car Info: 05 psm WRX
You can install the downpipe and intake and just run your car on your ap's stage 2 map. You don't "have" to get your car tuned by a tuner if you have an accessport. For smog you can just take the downpipe off and put your oem back on, its not hard to do yourself or you can go to any shop and they will do it for you for about a 100 or so bucks.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:04 AM

Car Info: 07 rs STi swapped Rotated BW S200SX-56
If you are going to use your cobb AP stage 2 tune, I would put the stock airbox on it, put the cattless DP on it and load the map. You'll be leaving power to be had on the table by not pro tuning, but it will run fine.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:00 AM

Car Info: 2018 Tacoma TRD PRO
First time I heard anyone say they hate EWG noise lol. Who's your tuner?
Old 11-29-2011, 01:17 PM

I don't really have a tuner. This was a guy who was recommend by a couple good friends of mine. But I think its the only place in my area. I can't say that I don't like like the ewg noise. I haven't heard it in person. (only videos) eventually I will get it tuned. But its winter and I would rather have a rack first.

Are you saying the stock air box is better then typhoon?
How much power am I losing?
After the Mods are installed do I need to reset the ecu via ap v2?

I have heard that subies are sensitive and after adding Mods you should really have it tuned.
Old 11-29-2011, 01:24 PM

Car Info: 2018 Tacoma TRD PRO
Originally Posted by syksti
I don't really have a tuner. This was a guy who was recommend by a couple good friends of mine. But I think its the only place in my area. I can't say that I don't like like the ewg noise. I haven't heard it in person. (only videos) eventually I will get it tuned. But its winter and I would rather have a rack first.

Are you saying the stock air box is better then typhoon?
How much power am I losing?
After the Mods are installed do I need to reset the ecu via ap v2?

I have heard that subies are sensitive and after adding Mods you should really have it tuned.
Intakes cai or Sri are useless unless you have a bigger aftermarket turbo. Our stock air boxes w/ aftermarket drop in filter is good for 300whp.

I would recommend getting a tune even it's just a stage 1 set up. Worth the time and money. I'm not trusting my car to a generic map.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:35 PM

Car Info: 07 rs STi swapped Rotated BW S200SX-56
Also, the cobb maps are designed for the stock airbox, they are conservative tunes, dont know the exact numbers, but it is noticably slower. My last 06 pro tuned by EQ made 291/322 at the wheels with supporting mods on a vf-39. It was a 6mt swap and it ran 12.836 with my crappy driving.

Shouldn't need to reset ecu, just load the cobb stage 2 map after you put the DP in. Drive it like that till you can get a pro tune, once you're tuned, don't mod it or you will need another tune. I would talk to a tuner and tell them what your goals for the car are, they will tell you exactly what you will need to get there.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:17 PM

Car Info: Un Carrito Que Hace Vrooom Phsss!
Who is your current tuner.... Wonder why he is telling you to run another up pipe and go ewg? Won't do anything for you... You already gave a catless up pipe .. And font NEED a ewg... Pm either EQ Tuning, GST Motorsports, or Paul .. My advise would be to go to a tuner specialize on subarus .. Just my 2cents..
Old 11-30-2011, 02:59 AM

I had 3 prosport gauges that I wanted installed. AFR, exhaust temp and oil pressure. I thought he said the exhaust temp goes to the uppipe but he would have to drill a whole into the stock one. (i think) also he said my Afr gauge won't bounce around. As the car is running. He said he will be more of a RICH OR LEAN.

I have no desire to race it. I would be happy with intake, exhaust, downpipe a tune and the 3 gauges listed above.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:03 AM

Car Info: LUMPY CGM 05 WRX
Originally Posted by syksti
I had 3 prosport gauges that I wanted installed. AFR, exhaust temp and oil pressure. I thought he said the exhaust temp goes to the uppipe but he would have to drill a whole into the stock one. (i think) also he said my Afr gauge won't bounce around. As the car is running. He said he will be more of a RICH OR LEAN.

I have no desire to race it. I would be happy with intake, exhaust, downpipe a tune and the 3 gauges listed above.
I am afraid you are going to hear a reoccuring theme here but I am going to chime in as I used to have the K&N typhoon intake. so here are some pros and cons and some advice for you.

Your guages all come with pretty detailed instructions, and sensors. I am the worse garage mechanic in the world but that is a task even I would take on myself. You will be suprised how satisfying it can be to install, and if you screw it up you can take it in after that.

Intake. I was stage 2 on my wrx I.E. high flow catted DP catless UP, and a perrin turbo inlet. All ran fine. I tried to put on the K&N reset the ECU, and it still ran like poop. I am now stage 2+ running the stock intake. The only advantage you may get with the factory turbo is the K&N sounds cool.

The up pipe is a pain in the *** to install so I would recommend going to a shop to do that but again it is not too difficult and can be done in a garage.

As for the tune. Cobb OTS maps leave some on the table, and if you are insistant on using the intake I would get a protune, but there are only about 4.5 people in this area I would trust to tune a subaru, and I go to one of those exclusivly. GST in Hayward is where I send my hard earned cash. FW in Roseville, EQ tuning in fairfield. Pretty much the three biggest names in subaru around the bay area.

Go to a reputable shop if you are going to have your car tuned. Maybe try doing some of the install yourself and save a few bucks.
The few bucks you save use it to make sure your maintenaince is all up to snuff and have your 60k service done.

Good luck and I hope you have found my post helpful.

Last edited by Shayhan27; 11-30-2011 at 08:17 AM.