Subaru General Anything about Subaru related that would not be more appropriate in another existing i-Club forum.

Questions from a newbie

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2002, 08:00 AM
Former Vendor

Car Info: Evo X
i don't have a wrx but I think i can help you.... a little...

- what is your budget? Out the door price?
- WRX didn't come out until March 2001 (make year 2002)
- You can always get a used one...
- Older models are not as powerful. But it all depends on your application.
- Just about all Subarus are good!

Good luck in car hunt!
Old 11-22-2002, 08:47 AM
Former Vendor

you could dig up more RS info from rs25.com... I have a RS myself. They are still making and selling RS if you are looking for one.

It really depends on your application. I would get something between 2000-2001 because of the LSD in the back. But if you want to turbo charge (yes, all RS or NA) your car go pre 98. They have lower compression ratio and DOHC. Good luck!

Spec for 2002 RS
ENGINE
Type Horizontally opposed 4-cylinder with die-cast aluminum-alloy block and aluminum-alloy cylinder heads.
Displacement 2.5 liters (150 cubic inches)
Horsepower 165 @ 5600 rpm
Torque (lb.-ft.) 166 @ 4000 rpm
Valvetrain 16-valve with single overhead camshaft design (SOHC).
Fuel System Sequential multi-port fuel injection system.
Ignition System Low-maintenance distributorless electronic.
Engine Management ECM Engine Control Module manages fuel injection and ignition systems and features learning, self-diagnosis, limp-home and anti-knock capabilities.
Fuel Tank Capacity 15.9 gallons
2003 EPA Mileage Estimates (mpg, city/highway) 21/28 (manual transmission), 21/27 (automatic transmission)

CHASSIS
Body Construction Unitized with hydroformed front sub-frame and front and rear crumple zones. 70% of body sheet metal is two-sided galvanized.
Suspension Fully independent with coil springs and struts. Front: lower L-arms with liquid-filled rear bushings and stabilizer bar. Rear: parallel links and stabilizer bar. Sport-tuned suspension.
Brakes Power-assisted with dual diagonal hydraulic circuits and 4-channel/4-sensor anti-lock braking system (ABS). Front: 10.7-inch ventilated discs with twin-piston calipers. Rear: 10.3-inch discs.
Steering Rack-and-pinion with engine-speed-sensing variable power assist.
Turning Circle, Curb-to-Curb 35.4 feet
Wheels 16-inch aluminum-alloy.
Tires 205/55R16 89V all-season radials.

DRIVETRAIN
Manual Transmission (Standard) 5-speed manual with overdrive.
Automatic Transmission (Optional) 4-speed electronically controlled automatic with overdrive. Automatic power mode engages with rapid use of the accelerator pedal.
All-Wheel Drive (AWD) Full-time AWD system automatically distributes power between front and rear wheels based on traction needs. Manual transmission models have a viscous-coupling locking center differential. Automatic transmission models have an electronically managed continuously variable transfer clutch.

DIMENSIONS
Wheelbase/Length 99.4/173.4
Width/Height 68.1/56.7
Track: Front/Rear 58.5/58.3
Headroom: Front/Rear 38.6/36.7
Legroom: Front/Rear 42.9/33.0
Curb Weight (pounds) (w/Manual Transmission) 2965
Curb Weight (pounds) (w/Automatic Transmission) 3020
EPA Interior Volume (cubic feet) 87.6
EPA Cargo Volume (cubic feet) 11.0 (trunk)
Maximum Towing Capacity (pounds)** 2000
**When properly equipped. See Owner's Manual for detailed instructions you should follow when towing a trailer.

SAFETY FEATURES
Meets all federal passenger car safety standards S
All-Wheel Drive (AWD) S
4-channel/4-sensor anti-lock braking system (ABS) S
Dual front air bags (SRS)* S
Height-adjustable 3-point front seatbelts with pre-tensioners and force limiters S
3-point rear seatbelts for all three seating positions S
3 rear seat child safety seat anchors S
LATCH system: Lower Anchors and Tether for CHildren S
Child safety rear door locks S
Energy-absorbing front and rear crumple zones S
Side-impact door beams S
Internal child safety trunk release S
*The Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) (air bags) affords the driver and front passenger additional protection in a frontal collision. This system provides supplemental protection only, and seat belts must be worn in order to avoid injuries to out-of-position occupants upon bag deployment and to provide the best combined protection in a serious accident. Children should always be properly restrained in the rear seat.

EXTERIOR FEATURES
Dual power fold-away mirrors S
Variable intermittent windshield wipers S
Rear window defogger with timer S

INTERIOR FEATURES
Sport-design reclining front bucket seats with driver's side height-adjustment S
Rear seat fold-down center armrest with trunk pass-through S
Center console storage tray and storage box S
Illuminated locking glove box S
Two front cup holders S
Dual visor vanity mirrors with lids S
Power windows and door locks S
Cruise control S
Remote keyless entry system S
Off-delay dome light S
Trunk light S
Air conditioning with 4-speed fan S
Tachometer, digital dual-mode trip odometer, engine coolant temperature gauge and low-fuel light S
AM/FM stereo with single disc CD player and four speakers S

COLORS / FABRICS
Aspen White Dark Gray Flat Woven
Blue Ridge Pearl Dark Gray Flat Woven
Midnight Black Pearl Dark Gray Flat Woven
Platinum Silver Metallic Dark Gray Flat Woven
Old 11-22-2002, 08:48 AM
Former Vendor

that would get you a nice RS. Where are you from? I know few people local (well, local to me) that is selling their RS. Either they are moving or getting the WRX, or getting another project car, or just can't afford the payment anymore.

Originally posted by UncleJesse
My top dollar is probably around 15G's
Old 11-22-2002, 08:53 AM

Car Info: Heated Leather Seats
Re: Questions from a newbie

Originally posted by UncleJesse

My question is, are the late 90's to early 00's turbo like the new model? And also how is maintanence and reliability? How is the performance on the older models compared to the new one? I know a lot of questions. Thanks for your help.
Subaru actually didn't make a late 90s turbo that came to the US. If you are interested in a 90s turbo, you might want to check out the turbo Legacy that was around in the early 90s.

Subaru is awesome with reliability. My first car when I learned to drive was a 85 GL Wagon with 240,000 miles on it. Ran great for 2 years when I sold it. Since then I have owned a 93 impreza and now a 98 Legacy GT. I think that I may be branded for life

One of the "pros" of the RS is that it is a bit lighter than the WRX. Without the turbo the car is silghtly slower but is still a blast to drive.

You should find one and take it for a spin, compare the two and see which one fits your driving style and budget.
Old 11-22-2002, 03:15 PM

Car Info: 2000 2.5RS Silverthorn
Thumbs up

You can buy a older model RS and do a motor swap with an EJ20.
Old 11-22-2002, 03:16 PM

Car Info: 2000 2.5RS Silverthorn
Just in case you didnt know, the WRX has an EJ20.
Old 11-22-2002, 05:21 PM

Originally posted by scotty305
UncleJesse:

Subarus are not good drag cars. The transmission doesn't hold up well to hard launches and the violent shifting associated with dragging, and the AWD doesn't transfer as much of the engine's power to the ground compared to RWD cars or FWD (but I wouldn't recommend FWD though).

-scott-
Scott your full of it. I know numerous people who thrash and bash there car and not one problem. The problem is the driver. To many people are learning on there manual tranny just dropping the pedal and mashing the gas.

Quick Reply: Questions from a newbie