Engine Management Cobb AccessPort, EcuTek, TEC, Motec, Link, and others. The ins and outs of high-performance engine tuning.

ECU map question

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2004, 01:33 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02WRXpseudoSTiWannabeWagon
ECU map question

Is the ignition advance multiplier an indicator as to which map the ECU is on? If so, then I'm assuming '8' is the low-det map since it seems to be the one the ECU defaults to following an ECU reset, and 16 is the high-det map. Also assuming (unfortunately it makes sense to me...that's why I'm skeptical ) The high-det map would be the least aggressive and the low-det most. From what I'm seeing, though, I think I might have that backwards.

I did a cursory search on Ecutek's forums, but didn't see anything conclusive.

This just got my attention because I remember when my friends and I first started drag racing, the common held idea was that if you had to reset your ECU, it was best to do it on a Monday, then drive it hard all week (induce knock, I guess), then it would be on the more aggressive map for raceday.

With the UTEC and Delta Dash, I figured that now if I were to reset the ECU, there shouldn't be much effects from being on the low-det and then after a pass or two, the ECU switches to high-det.

I had spent many hours getting my fuel and timing maps to exactly where I wanted to be, including the long-term and short-term fuel trims, but after a couple of passes, my times did go down, but that was mainly because of botched launches (getting used to some new parts). Fact is, though, now that I'm on the high-det, the car seems much more aggressive.

I think I may have answered my own questions here. Sorry for wasting anyone's time, but it's these little things that gnaw at me. If you've got the heart, please chime in and correct or discuss anything I've said in my ramblings.

Thanks
Old 01-22-2004, 07:56 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '02
IAM is an indicator of how agressive your timing is going to be. It is a scale of 1-16 1 being horrible ie. 87 octane.....8 being neutral......16 being the best ie. 100 octane. You start out with the base ignition map, then as the IAM goes up(toward 16) additional timing is added(from the advance map) to the base map, as the IAM goes down less timing is added to or even subtracted from the base map. Check the ECUTek forum I have seen a couple posts there asking about the IAM, they might have responded with something a little better than mine.

Last edited by Slack; 01-22-2004 at 08:02 AM.
Old 01-22-2004, 08:03 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '02
From ECUTek:

Coarse Ignition Learning
------------------------
When the grade of fuel is unknown, the ECU starts by running timing for a medium octane fuel. I.e. Values from the base map plus half of values from the advance maps. The ECU will then listen for knock. Based on its presence or absence, the ECU will then slowly decrease or increase the proportion of the advance map which is added to the base map until the level of knock is at a safe level. Its goal is to add the highest proportion of the advance map wherever possible. DeltaDash allows this 'proportion' factor to be viewed live as the ECU learns optimal timing - this parameter is labelled 'Advance Multiplier' in DeltaDash and its value ranges from 0 to 16. It is the number of sixteenths of the advance map that the ECU is willing to use - 16 being good, 8 being neutral and 0 being very bad.
Old 01-22-2004, 10:57 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02WRXpseudoSTiWannabeWagon
Sweet.

Thanks a lot. I'm on 16, but I'm using probably a 94-95 octane (1 gal of 116 xylene to ~7 gal of 92 octane)

I don't think I was on 16 down at the track, although I had 1 count (my sensitivity I moved from 1 to 2) on one pass and 5 counts on another.