Engine Management Cobb AccessPort, EcuTek, TEC, Motec, Link, and others. The ins and outs of high-performance engine tuning.

Dynamic Advance on AP

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 09:55 PM

Car Info: 2007 STi GTX3076R
Dynamic Advance on AP

If I see a positive number like 8.8 degrees at WOT thats a good thing right. That means the engine likes what it sees and adds timing to the primary ignition values. Is this right or am I confusing myself. This on a COBB AP on the live data dynamic advance display the reason I ask cause I don't know if the AP can show a negative number in this display. I always see a positive number never negative. The car been feeling little slower but I guess I'm just getting use to the car.
Old 03-21-2008, 05:47 AM

Car Info: Genesis Coupe - Karussell White 2.0T Track Model
In short, yes, Positive numbers in your DA display is a good thing. higher the better (the happier your car seems to be - in reference to the tune/setup you're running)... that being said.. Here's all the reference information you can use/need/want/didn't want to know.

NOTE:
What you want to watch out for is anything near -4.5 (speculated to be indications of REAL Knock) in your DA Display (especially when ~5250 rpm)

http://www.cobbforums.com/forums/sho...ynamic+Advance
More than you wanted to know about DA and DAM (Dynamic Advance and Dynamic Advance Multiplier)

http://www.cobbforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35959
Dynamic Advance: This is the amount of timing the ECU either adds or subtracts from the map based on how the car is running. The higher the number, the more timing the car is adding

http://www.cobbtuning.com/info/?ID=3487
The Dynamic Advance table is a closed-loop ignition advance table that allows the ECU to advance ignition timing beyond the main ignition table values as long as the engine “noise” heard by the knock sensor is not too high for that given RPM & load point, as determined by the ECU. This dynamic ignition advancing table uses engine RPM for the y-axis and calculated load for the x-axis. In other words, as long as the engine is happy the ECU will allow the ignition to advance beyond the main Primary Ignition table values. The freedom for the ECU to add additional degrees of ignition timing is partly determined by the values in this table. Even if additional ignition timing could be added the ECU will not advance ignition timing beyond these values. If the ECU hears noise which it finds unacceptable, the ECU will not allow any additional ignition advance to be run. If the ECU hears too much noise through the knock sensor and determines that detonation is occurring or is about to occur then the ECU will pull timing until it is satisfied with the engine noise for that RPM & load point. The ECU does this in order to protect the motor and to minimize the emissions output. If the Primary Ignition table has a timing value which is too high for the current conditions the ECU will recognize this and try to pull timing until the ECU determines the engine is safely operating. All values are in degrees BTDC (before top dead center). The amount of timing to be added to the Primary Ignition table is determined by the values in this table along with the Dynamic Advance Multiplier value. The ECU will take the look-up value from this table and then use a percentage of that value based on the value of the Dynamic Advance Multiplier.