Engine Management Cobb AccessPort, EcuTek, TEC, Motec, Link, and others. The ins and outs of high-performance engine tuning.

which cob ap do i get?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 11:09 PM

Car Info: 2002 subaru wrx and 2013 Impreza
which cob ap do i get?

if you guys dont remember me im the guy with the messed up wrx. so i want to tune it so i can drive it with out worrying about ruining the engine any more. which cob ap do i get? car specs are, 2003 wrx w/ stock ecu, 2.5 n/a suby short block, 04sti turbo, bigger injectors, intercooler, bov, turbo back and a few other little things that im not sure matter.

thanks
Old 02-26-2009, 11:13 PM

Car Info: '15 LE STI, '06 WRX White Wheeled Wagon, '06 B9
the COBB ap i would get is the v.2, you could pry get v.1 but i like 2
Old 02-26-2009, 11:42 PM
BAM9 Ladies choice Carshow winner

Car Info: 13 FR-S/05 STI
COBB AP V1 OR V2 will be fine for your car; as long as its specific to your car. You can run the stage II map that is already loaded on to the AP. Then later when u are ready for a pro-tune. Pick your tuner
Old 02-27-2009, 01:27 AM

what do you mean specific to my car? like one that is un married to another car? or one that is for a wrx ecu? or one for a n/a 2.5? i dont know much about this stuff
Old 02-27-2009, 08:00 AM

Car Info: LUMPY CGM 05 WRX
Originally Posted by mr_silas
what do you mean specific to my car? like one that is un married to another car? or one that is for a wrx ecu? or one for a n/a 2.5? i dont know much about this stuff
It needs to be specific to your cars ecu so you need a 2003 WRX ap. I am thinking with the 2.5 on the bottom you are still going to have a few issues but it should still run. Youre gonna need a pro tune!
Old 02-27-2009, 11:43 AM

do i need a cob ap to get a pro tune? i dont really get how this whole ap works. does it open your ecu so you can change it however you like? and get it custom tuned? or does it only load pre loaded cob maps? im just looking to get my car to run right, so the v1 would be fine right? it hasnt been tuned sence the 2.5 swap so 3 of the cylinders are misfiring.

thanks
Old 02-27-2009, 11:50 AM

Car Info: '15 LE STI, '06 WRX White Wheeled Wagon, '06 B9
#1 do me a favor please spell cob, cobb, you are spelling it wrong and driving me nuts...*rant over*

anyway an accessport overrides you stock ecu. it fine tunes your car to what it wants to do not what it was told to do by the factory.

you get more power, more torque, its better for the car becuase you take away its restrictions it was given.

whats nice about an AP is that when it coems time for smog and what not you can save a map for factory settings so you will pass smog.

plus if you eve ruse valet services you can keep those douche bags from joy riding in yoru car.

there are other ways to get more power, i dont know much abotu them and wouldnt be the person to ask, but i believe they basically reflash your whole ecu and anything that is stock is gone and they can pro tune to exactly what mods you have in yoru car so you can get the full experience of everything you have. they do this without an AP
Old 02-27-2009, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Irish_car_B0mb
#1 do me a favor please spell cob, cobb, you are spelling it wrong and driving me nuts...*rant over*

anyway an accessport overrides you stock ecu. it fine tunes your car to what it wants to do not what it was told to do by the factory.

you get more power, more torque, its better for the car becuase you take away its restrictions it was given.

whats nice about an AP is that when it coems time for smog and what not you can save a map for factory settings so you will pass smog.

plus if you eve ruse valet services you can keep those douche bags from joy riding in yoru car.

there are other ways to get more power, i dont know much abotu them and wouldnt be the person to ask, but i believe they basically reflash your whole ecu and anything that is stock is gone and they can pro tune to exactly what mods you have in yoru car so you can get the full experience of everything you have. they do this without an AP
haha, hey bro maybe you can use spell check too (end of rant) j/k

Last edited by STI RUSH; 02-27-2009 at 12:01 PM.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:16 PM

ok thanks for all the info. how does it help with valet? sounds cool.

alright so if you were me and just trying to get your car running right, would you just get a v1 and put that map on there?
Old 02-27-2009, 12:22 PM

alright so if you were me and just trying to get your car running right, would you just get a v1 and put that map on there?
Yeah thats what many people do. The Cobb ap has its own valet map which is a lot easier to use IMO.
If you load the the AP map on your car it would improve performance and make your car a lot smoother. I would help quit a bit.

All the cobb ap come with off the shelf maps that are preloaded on there. And you can also download from the website as well

Last edited by STI RUSH; 02-27-2009 at 12:24 PM.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:48 PM

3 of my cylinders are mis firing, and i think its cause i have the stock 03 wrx ecu trying to run the n/a 2.5 but im not sure. so would the AP v1 map fix that?

thanks
Old 02-27-2009, 12:49 PM

If you have a cylinder missfiring dont drive it. If you are limited on funds and cant pop for the 695 for the ap then get open access.

*Im not an expert at this by any means but I dont think with your mod list and a 2.5 ay of the ots maps for a 2.0 ecu are gonna work so you will need a pro tune with your cobb ap which most places like GST in Hayward offer a package for the AP and do the tune for cheaper than normal. If you get openaccess you just basically go to the tuner that does those things and have the car tuned for a one time only shot but he will make your car run right.*

I would go the APV2 route it offers alot over the V1 and tunes can be added at later times if you add other parts and stored.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:51 PM

3 of my cylinders are mis firing, and i think its cause i have the stock 03 wrx ecu trying to run the n/a 2.5 but im not sure. so would the AP v1 map fix that?

thanks
No because the OTS maps are still designed to work with the 2.0. It will probably make it run better but Im afraid you may be running lean on the 2.5 and cause detonation which is a big no no on the 2.5. If you went through all the work to swap in the 2.5 im sure you dot want to risk breaking it. I see you are in citrus heights have you tried asking Paul at DB tuned to get an expert opinion? You may want to try there im sure he can answer any questions you have and leave no doubt
Old 02-27-2009, 01:00 PM

You need a protune with all those mods you put in. Speak to Paul from DB and he can help you out!
Old 02-27-2009, 01:04 PM

Car Info: 2002 Subaru WRX PSM
I might be an idiot, but doesn't the 02/03 come with a 2.0L, and it isnt n/a, its got a turbo. I am probably wrong, someone help! Still fairly new at this!

Quick Reply: which cob ap do i get?