Engine Management Cobb AccessPort, EcuTek, TEC, Motec, Link, and others. The ins and outs of high-performance engine tuning.

Aftermarket Air Filter Warning

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 04:15 PM

Car Info: 2007 Impreza WRX Limited Bugeye Conversion
Exclamation Aftermarket Air Filter Warning

Hey i-club!

I just got tuned by Ed at Eq Tuning and he enlightened me to something quite shocking... If you have an aftermarket tune and then drop in an aftermarket air filter, it will dangerously lean out you engine!

I had my 07 wrx tuned by Ed last year and have been loving the result. About December, I installed a K&N panel filter, not thinking much of it.

Recently, I picked up a better mid pipe, installed it and then went knocking on Ed's door to make sure it hadn't changed the characteristics of the tune too much. After initially doing a quick test, Ed let me know that the engine was leaning out near the top end, because of the new air filter. Luckly I hadn't damaged the motor.

Ed told me that drop in air filters are okay for stock tunes because they usually run rich, but if you are already tuned, this can lean out your motor because of the increased air flow.

After getting it retuned, my WRX is a whole new beast; 220 hp and 279 tq!!! Its a lot of fun to accelerate on the on ramps again.

If you want the right tune and the best service, check out Eq Tuning.

Thanks again Ed and Eq Tuning!
Old 07-31-2009, 07:47 PM

Car Info: 94 Integra beater: one Slow 3 Series RIP EvoX
with newer cars with more sophisticated electronics, any little change in airflow either in/out it's best to get the tune retouched or looked at for safety