Engine Management Cobb AccessPort, EcuTek, TEC, Motec, Link, and others. The ins and outs of high-performance engine tuning.

1st Autronic WRX PnP completely tuned!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2003, 09:30 PM

Car Info: 2002 silver WRX sedan
1st Autronic WRX PnP completely tuned!!!

Before I get into the details of the install and tuning of the Autronic I would like to thank Ben and the staff at Strader Performance for a job well done.Thier customer service and knowledge of the product they sell, support and stand behind has to be the best I've come across yet. I've built some high horsepower cars and done business with enough shops to know that Ben and staff are first rate!

First and foremost the Autronic is a system for people looking or planning to make BIG horsepower, running BIG turbos (Gerrett), using external wastegates, custom fuel systems and in some cases larger displacement, but the Autronic would also be pefectly at home installed on a stock WRX. It's also a system for people that don't want to spend money twice.

List of Mods:
HKS GT2835R turbine
HKS external wasegate
HKS stainless steel tubular exhaust manifold(thermal rapped)
HKS EVC IV boost controller
Custom up-pipe and down pipe(ceramic coated)
Greddy front mount intercooler(modified piping)
STI RA Spec C TVG housings
PE 800cc injectors
Custom fuel rails
SX fuel pressure regulator
Aeroquip fuel fittings and braided stainless fuel lines
Walbro fuel pump
RPS race clutch

Install:
This is a very easy install. All you need to do is remove your factory ECU, plug the factory wiring harness into the Autronic, which has its own internal MAP sensor that you then need to run a vacuum hose to, I used the vacuum port off the intake manifold that went to the stock TVG housings. Then all thats left is to install the supplied air temp. sensor, which is placed in any location after the intercooler by drilling and tapping 1/8 NPT for the air temp. sensor to srew into. Wiring for the air temp. sensor is done by using the signal wire and ground from the factory MAS which is neither used or a restriction on horsepower any longer. That's it , all done.

Tuning:
The Autronic comes with a base map to get you started after you have gone on line with the system and used the supplied formula to calculate for the size injectors you're using. Then it's time to turn the key! For me the car started the first time I tried to turn it over. From there I took it one step at a time. The idle was the first order of business and in my case it was on the high side, but after a few adjustments in the base fuel map this was taken care of. Really not that hard and remember I'm using 800cc injectors and no TVGs, which with the Autronic the car now idles great! Now it was on to the tuning of normal driving and under boost. Although the Autronic WRX PnP comes with the Autotune which is a great feature, it was desided under Bens direction to tune manually so that I would become comfortable and familiar with the software and tuning of Autronic. All tuning was done on the road and freeway using the Autronic exhaust gas analizer to give me the corrected A/F ratio in real time. With this important tuning tool I was able data log while driving under differant loads and conditions, then analize that data and make the proper adjustments to the fuel map. It took a couple days of driving but all the tuning is complete. During the whole time Ben and his knowledgable staff were always at hand and returned my calls to answer my questions or help point into the right tuning direction.

As of right now I have yet to dyno the car, but I leave you with this - The other day while driving around I come across a Z06 and at a 40 mph start traction being equal the Z06 was a good two cars back at the middle of 4th gear. All I can say is the car makes some serious power made possible by the Autronic and the help from Ben at Strader Performance. www.dynospeed.com

I Will post again after I have dyno numbers and 1/4 mile times.

Happy and satisfied customer,

Steve
Old 01-24-2003, 09:46 AM

What was the cost of the Autronic?
Just browsing the features...im trying to compare with Vishnu's Xcede that is coming out soon.

Since it is a piggyback..how does it compare with the Utec?..besides that the Utec doesnt have an internal MAP sensor...
Old 01-24-2003, 02:15 PM

my bad...thats what i get for reading too fast .... soooo then how does it compare to a LINK system??
Old 01-28-2003, 11:31 AM

Car Info: 2002 WRX
is this the real unit or is this just the modified evo unit?
Old 02-01-2003, 07:42 AM

haha bump!
Old 02-01-2003, 04:57 PM

Originally posted by JohnConnolly
Rocket,

is the Autronic handing the fuel and ignition, or just the ignition? Plug and play, right? any problems?

John
The Autronic for the WRX is a plug and play stand- alone engine managment that handles everything, fuel, ignition ect.

Steve
Old 02-02-2003, 01:59 PM

Originally posted by JohnConnolly
I'm familiar with other applications for the Autronic (we sell them for VWs, both the SMC and SM2), but I was just curious how the Autronic interfaces with the Scooby (WRT ignition).

Last question, does it have a knock sensor input?

John
Aircooled.Net Inc.
It does not use any type of knock sensor input or correction, neither do most other stand-alone ECUs in this class.

Steve