EQ Tuning - Engine Build Packages!

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 08:18 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned
Why is it absurd?
Maybe if you ran you business more efficiently, you could pass the savings onto your customers?

This has nothing to do with efficiency or good deals you're getting. Here's a breakdown. Pistons are $400-$500, bearings are $100-$150, add up the misc seals, lubes, and fluids for another $20-$30. That's $550-$700 before you even get started. So now you have to clean, inspect, mic, and magnaflux the crank, rods, and block ($100-$150). Assuming everything checks out, you polish the crank ($50). Now you need to get a good bore, hone, and deck on the block, hopefully with a torque plate, then a final sonic cleaning ($600-$800 depending on who does it and how they so it). Of course I'm assuming there is no balancing or line honing taking place. That adds up to roughly $1400 before you even think about clearancing and assembly. So now you're left with about $200 to finish the build.

Now this is the problem. How do you fit roughly 8 hours worth of work into $200? The only solution I see is to take shortcuts like not checking clearances, doing away with the plastigauge, forgetting any blueprinting, and rushing through the assembly. The only other option is that you're still doing all this but selling yourself extremely cheaply to try to undercut your competition to draw in more business.

It's pretty simple IMO.

-- Ed

Last edited by EQ Tuning; 12-01-2010 at 08:23 AM.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:50 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
I see that you are pretty wound up about this sale.
In case you missed it, this is a sale, meaning the price is good for a limited time.
It is designed to generate more business, which is the point of being in business.

I am offering the same, if not better, product for less money.
Don't like it?
Tough ****.

You are blueprinting every motor?
Meaning that you provide a multi page "blue print" of every engine you build?
A blueprint that another shop could use to build/assemble an exact duplicate motor?
What "blueprint" are you assembly your motors to?
Do you even know what "blueprinting means?

From what you've posted, your costs are higher than mine.
There are no short cuts taken, and for you to insinuate that is unprofessional.
Instead of attacking a competitor, you should spend more time running your business?

Originally Posted by EQ Tuning
This has nothing to do with efficiency or good deals you're getting. Here's a breakdown. Pistons are $400-$500, bearings are $100-$150, add up the misc seals, lubes, and fluids for another $20-$30. That's $550-$700 before you even get started. So now you have to clean, inspect, mic, and magnaflux the crank, rods, and block ($100-$150). Assuming everything checks out, you polish the crank ($50). Now you need to get a good bore, hone, and deck on the block, hopefully with a torque plate, then a final sonic cleaning ($600-$800 depending on who does it and how they so it). Of course I'm assuming there is no balancing or line honing taking place. That adds up to roughly $1400 before you even think about clearancing and assembly. So now you're left with about $200 to finish the build.

Now this is the problem. How do you fit roughly 8 hours worth of work into $200? The only solution I see is to take shortcuts like not checking clearances, doing away with the plastigauge, forgetting any blueprinting, and rushing through the assembly. The only other option is that you're still doing all this but selling yourself extremely cheaply to try to undercut your competition to draw in more business.

It's pretty simple IMO.

-- Ed
Old 12-01-2010, 10:03 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

I see that you are pretty wound up about this sale.
In case you missed it, this is a sale, meaning the price is good for a limited time.
It is designed to generate more business, which is the point of being in business.

I am offering the same, if not better, product for less money.
Don't like it?
Tough ****.

You are blueprinting every motor?
Meaning that you provide a multi page "blue print" of every engine you build?
A blueprint that another shop could use to build/assemble an exact duplicate motor?
What "blueprint" are you assembly your motors to?
Do you even know what "blueprinting means?

From what you've posted, your costs are higher than mine.
There are no short cuts taken, and for you to insinuate that is unprofessional.
Instead of attacking a competitor, you should spend more time running your business?
Yes I'm blueprinting every engine I build and provide each customer with a build sheet with all recorded measurements. My costs for machine work may be a bit higher than yours because the work is more precise and the end result is better. All of our blocks are honed with a torque plate on a CNC machine, for example.

For the record, I wasn't attacking anyone, simply responding to your posts directly attacking MY pricing and MY business:

Save yourself $600 bump!
"Don't have to wait a year for your engine build" bump.
I have no problem with you running a sale, but when its directly and openly aimed at undercutting my pricing, I do take issue with it. That is very unprofessional IMO and truly speaks to your own insecurity in your product quality.

-- Ed
Old 12-01-2010, 10:19 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Yes I'm blueprinting every engine I build and provide each customer with a build sheet with all recorded measurements. My costs for machine work may be a bit higher than yours because the work is more precise and the end result is better. All of our blocks are honed with a torque plate on a CNC machine, for example.
How long have you been providing every customer with a blueprint?
"Better" in what sense?
How do you know your product is "better" than mine?

I have no problem with you running a sale, but when its directly and openly aimed at undercutting my pricing, I do take issue with it. That is very unprofessional IMO and truly speaks to your own insecurity in your product quality.

-- Ed
Again with the personal attacks?
Old 12-01-2010, 11:09 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

How long have you been providing every customer with a blueprint?
"Better" in what sense?
How do you know your product is "better" than mine?
We've been providing build sheets since the first few builds we ever did. We have all the build sheets on file and available to all customers on request.

Better in the sense that the resulting bore is exactly to spec in terms of piston-wall clearance, runout, taper, etc. Further, using a torque plate means that our bores are consistent and not subject to deformation once heads are torqued to the shortblock. For most of our builds, we also line hone the main bearing housings to achieve an exact bearing oil clearance spec across all bearings. We also generally balance the crank, rods, and pistons.

-- Ed
Old 12-01-2010, 12:09 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

We've been providing build sheets since the first few builds we ever did. We have all the build sheets on file and available to all customers on request.

Better in the sense that the resulting bore is exactly to spec in terms of piston-wall clearance, runout, taper, etc. Further, using a torque plate means that our bores are consistent and not subject to deformation once heads are torqued to the shortblock. For most of our builds, we also line hone the main bearing housings to achieve an exact bearing oil clearance spec across all bearings. We also generally balance the crank, rods, and pistons.

-- Ed
Pure speculation on your part; you have no idea the process, methods, and tooling we use to build our motors.

Again, focus on running/improving your own business instead of attacking another shop.
Old 12-01-2010, 12:26 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Pure speculation on your part; you have no idea the process, methods, and tooling we use to build our motors.

Again, focus on running/improving your own business instead of attacking another shop.
My speculation is purely based on your pricing. If you figured out how to do everything by the book and not take shortcuts, and still provide the pricing you do, that's great. But you would be the first shop in the country to do so. So far you have said nothing to make anyone believe this is the case.

And again, I'm very much focused on my business and did not say a word until you directly attacked my pricing as I quoted above.

-- Ed
Old 12-01-2010, 12:54 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

My speculation is purely based on your pricing. If you figured out how to do everything by the book and not take shortcuts, and still provide the pricing you do, that's great. But you would be the first shop in the country to do so. So far you have said nothing to make anyone believe this is the case.

And again, I'm very much focused on my business and did not say a word until you directly attacked my pricing as I quoted above.

-- Ed
Goodness, you got some extremely thin skin if you consider that an attack.

Shop A compares their pricing with Shop B is not an attack.
Shop B stating that Shop A produces an inferior product is not only an attack, it's unprofessional.

Do you understand what a "loss leader" is in marketing?
Old 12-01-2010, 01:05 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Calm down Paul. The fact remains that you directly and openly compared your product and price to ours. It stands to reason that at that point, I'm open to explain what we do differently and what sets our product apart from yours. Notice I did not go into your thread and post, nor did I directly talk about your product until you came into my thread. I know you can carry on with this BS for a long time, but I don't have the time to indulge you, so lets stop it here.

-- Ed
Old 12-01-2010, 01:27 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Calm down Paul. The fact remains that you directly and openly compared your product and price to ours. It stands to reason that at that point, I'm open to explain what we do differently and what sets our product apart from yours. Notice I did not go into your thread and post, nor did I directly talk about your product until you came into my thread. I know you can carry on with this BS for a long time, but I don't have the time to indulge you, so lets stop it here.

-- Ed
I am lol'ing at how deluded and paranoid you have become.
I never mentioned a shop, a person, etc in any post.

Wow...
Old 12-01-2010, 01:39 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

I am lol'ing at how deluded and paranoid you have become.
I never mentioned a shop, a person, etc in any post.

Wow...
Right... and I never mentioned a shop, a person, etc in any of my posts either until you came into my thread. Why did you assume that my reference to pricing was directed toward you? Paranoia?

-- Ed
Old 12-01-2010, 02:14 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

bump
Old 12-01-2010, 02:32 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

We use a torque plate to bore and hone every motor bump

-- Ed
Old 12-01-2010, 04:14 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

bump
Old 12-01-2010, 05:07 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

bump

Quick Reply: EQ Tuning - Engine Build Packages!