Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

What are some tranny replacements options?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2002, 02:40 PM

Car Info: 13BRZ, 11FXT, 08T25, 07STI, 02WRX
If my tranny ever goes out I would just get another RS tranny or I would get he same OBS tranny that came with the 2.2 because it stretches a bit longer in 5th gear.
Old 11-21-2002, 06:00 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
I can't find it anymore, but I used to have a link to a vendor selling full synchro gearsets that were supposed to be much tougher. I won't go to a dogbox though, they can make you look real dumb in front of the ladies, if you aren't a smooth-shiftin' pimp daddie. And I like speed shifting, so when my tranny gives me the finger and turns in its pink slip, I'll let you know what I do.

<~~~what BAN SUVS' tranny thinks of him
Old 11-21-2002, 10:00 PM

Will the new STI 6MT even fit under the shell of the GC cars?
Old 11-21-2002, 10:04 PM

One way or another, mine will.
Old 11-21-2002, 10:05 PM

Cool, let us know how that goes because when come time for a tranny swap. I might consider it.
Old 11-22-2002, 04:56 PM

Car Info: MY99 Black GC4
You can always get hardened gears. Talk to Larry at www.imprezars.com.
Old 11-23-2002, 08:07 PM

Car Info: WRBlue WRX modded!!!
5mt...STi type RA ver4/ver5 or ver6 with 4.44 final ratio
Old 11-23-2002, 09:10 PM
Admin v2.0

Car Info: 02 Black Legacy GT
6MT.

It will fit both GC and GD Impreza's as well as the Legacy's and Forester's. Thank god Subaru's are like Lego's.

You will AT LEAST require a transmission itself, shifter, driveshaft and 3.9 rear diff ring and pinion. Thats minimal budget setup that will allow you to run a 6MT. From what I have heard, the 6MT drive/propeller shaft is the same as the 4EAT equipped Impreza. I will verify that when I get my setup here next week.

Then, you can upgrade the rear diff to a large R180 unit. But you will not be able to use your stock rear axles, so STi rear axles are required. To run rear STi axles, you will need STi rear backing plates and hubs, to run which you will need STi brakes. Gold Brembo or regular STi 2 pots.

To make it all complete, you can get front STi axles out of the 6MT equipped cars which are much stronger. 6MT boot and shifknob is also a nice add-on.

Feel free to ask any questions.

- Alex
Old 11-23-2002, 11:08 PM

Car Info: o2 duburu arr exu
Chalak Synchromesh Gearset

good for up to around 450hp
Old 11-23-2002, 11:23 PM
Admin v2.0

Car Info: 02 Black Legacy GT
After doing about a year worth of research, I came to a conclusion that getting stronger gears will not really solve the problem.

First of all, case flex has been considered to be the primary reason for blown transmissions. Of course, thickness of gears, tooth profile, flex in shift rails and few others are also weak links.

If you were to install syncromesh gear set into your stock case, you are just prolonging the lifespan of your transmission at an expense of drivability and $. Dog "unbreakable" gears will most likely not break, since the synchro's have been removed and the gears are thick and strong enough not to care much for case flex. Still, given the case flexes enough, any gears will break. Plus dog boxes are pain in the butt to drive. Very noisy. Those gear sets that are claimed to be not noisy, still are. Just not noisy comparing to other dog boxes.

Better case bolts and shift rails need to be utilized to reduce case flex. But then you still have lubrication issue. An external gearoil cooler and hydrolic pump needs to be installed.

All these things add up to quiet a bit and you still lose everyday drivabilty. Don't forget that all that still needs to be installed and they never just drop in. In most cases the case has to be machined and modified to accept those gear, hense making the case even weaker and more flexy.

To sum this up, I am pro-6MT as it seems to handle gobs of power, provide better gearing for BOTH performance and cruising, simplyfy installation and generally save $.

- Alex
Old 11-23-2002, 11:26 PM

Word brother.

In the mean time, I will just slap another organ donor RS tranny in case I can't afford to replace my entire drivetrain past the flywheel to fully utilize the STi box as you outlined above.

Quick Reply: What are some tranny replacements options?