Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

Transmission swap now clutch pedal falling to floor

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 07:40 PM

Car Info: 2002 subaru wrx
Transmission swap now clutch pedal falling to floor

I just completed removing and installing a new transmission. had some issues getting the throwout bearing off but finally got it onto the fork and everything put back together, but now the clutch pedal just falls to the floor and the transmission will not go into gear. the clutch has no pressure whatsoever. I did notice that when I installed the transmission I didn't hear much of a click when i moved the fork back toward the fire wall to get it into place. I'm not sure what could be the cause of this. please help.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:44 PM

Car Info: 2004 STI
What car are you dealing with?

How did you get the throwout bearing onto the fork? It goes onto the transmission input shaft. I'm confused here.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:56 PM
Churro Aficionado

Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL
From what im getting, it is your throwout bearing. If it is, you're gunna have to drop the tranny again
Old 10-28-2011, 08:57 PM

Car Info: 05 OBP LGT LTD. Sedan
Clutch cylinder(s) might be shot. Or something reonstalled improperly. Lots of possibilities. Clutch fluid low as well could cause a problem like that.
Old 10-29-2011, 01:57 AM

Car Info: 2002 subaru wrx
it's an 02. The throwout bearing was on the pressure plate. I pryed it off and attached it to the clutch fork. all of the write ups I have seen have said that the throwout bearing should be on the clutch fork and then it should snap into place after the tranny is connected to the motor.

I havent touched any fluid besides draining the previous transmission and installing the new one so there's no way clutch fluid is low.

what would indicate a faulty throwout bearing? how easy is it to damage the bearing when removing it?

I recently had a new clutch installed before the tranny decided to go. That is why I only replaced the transmission...
Old 10-29-2011, 08:17 AM

Car Info: 2004 STI
I hate write-ups. They always miss the important parts. You followed a clutch guide that uses all new components.

Here is what you have to do.

1. get access to the clutch, Either drop the trans again or pull the engine.
2. remove the clutch assembly.
3. find the throwout bearing retaining clip and reinstall it in the propper position on the pressure plate. If it is still good.
4. reinstall the clutch and pressure plate onto the flywheel using an installation tool to center the clutch while tightening the PP.
5. clean and lube the transmission input shaft and install the throwout bearing onto the transmission input shaft. If it is still good.
6. install the release fork over the throwout bearing and then install the fork pin to hold the fork in place.
7. mate the transmission and engine
8. with your hand push the clutch fork to the firewall of the car and you should hear the throwout bearing clip into the retaining clip.
9. finish getting the clutch release fork connected to the clutch slave and connect the fork spring

You should now have clutch pedal pressure, unless there are other issues.