Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

Sti ra gearset...

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2005, 08:42 PM

Car Info: 02 Black WRX
Question Sti ra gearset...

i was planning on replacing my wrx gearsets with the sti ra gearsets and was wondering how much stronger are they and is it worth the big bucks?(well big bucks to me anyways lol) Let me know what you guys think or if anybody has done it and have it on now, please leave any kind of feedback. Thanks
Old 01-28-2005, 12:08 AM

is that the total price to replace and for the gearsets? or is it just for the gearsets?
Old 01-28-2005, 05:51 PM

Car Info: 2005blackwrx5spd
total price, for gears and install, I've seen the sets for around 1500, so figure another grand for instal
Old 01-29-2005, 01:36 AM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
They are stronger than stock (especially the '02s and early '03s) and worth what they cost.
Old 02-04-2005, 06:16 PM

Car Info: 02 Sti wagon
When replacing the gears it woud help if you got new synchros and bearings to go with it! just a thought..
Old 02-04-2005, 07:37 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
That's how they typically come.
Old 02-05-2005, 01:07 PM

Location: mr. police officer,im not as think as you drunk i am....
Car Info: 02 wrx
i will be doing this upgrade, also clutch/flywheel and mounts.just hoping that our casing can still handle the output because it is substantially cheaper way to go than upgrading to 6mt.
Old 02-05-2005, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by 1tyme
i will be doing this upgrade, also clutch/flywheel and mounts.just hoping that our casing can still handle the output because it is substantially cheaper way to go than upgrading to 6mt.

that's exactly what i was thinking too. i can't really afford to pay like around $7000 or something like that for the sti tranny. just wondering but where you getting it done at? and how much are they charging you?
Old 02-10-2005, 06:28 PM

Car Info: ATR Catback, HKS Downpipe, Injen CAI, 17x7.5 Rota Subzeros/Falken Azenis, Tein HA's, Apexi-SAFC,
I just got my tranny back. I blew my stocker and now have the STI RA gear set cryo treated and everything...I did the clutch and flywheel at the same time I havnt gotten to lay into it just yet becuase I am still breaking in the clutch but the gears feel good. I dont know if they feel quicker or if its because I havnt had my car for a month. probably a bit of both but they are definatly nice. and a lightened flywheel but from my limited driving with the new gearset its definatly an improvement over stock. feel is solid. On the high way cruising RPM is a little higher. but not more then 200-250rmp. its nice. Like I said the setup is BRAND new so all these things I am feeling could be becasue Ihavnt driven my car in a month and have been driving my brothers Wrx with just Intake exhaust. I mean new gearset syncros 1-2hub and sleeve 3-4 hub and sleeve. everythign. but if you are thinking about making power with the car look into either an RA gear set or saving for an STI tranny. people are making plenty of power on RA gear sets and if you make the torque numbers and still pretend that you have a stock tranny you shoudl be pretty good.. I will definatly post more once I get a better feel for it. BTW dave at Ralli Spec hooked it up. gave me a good deal and had my trans done the day he said it would be done. So he is definatly where I would take it. Being that your in Hawaii I dont know that works buts its going to cost to ship it two ways tell you that much. I have heard of places that sell RA gear boxes complete from cars. this would be a used tranny but its the whole thing search around for dealers that do that too since your not on mainland.
Old 02-11-2005, 09:28 AM

finally someone that actually got the sti gearsets. everybody i talk to says they know someone who did it but never someone who actually has it on. yeah i checked around and everybody quoted me alot. there's one guy that actually can do it for cheap so i might go and see him. i think the whole rebuild would cost me around $3000. what do you think? how much did it cost to get yours? well thanks for the info.
Old 02-11-2005, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by BAN SUVS
That's how they typically come.

gruppe s is selling the syncros and bearings seperate. i guess it depends where you go.
Old 02-11-2005, 10:52 AM

Car Info: ATR Catback, HKS Downpipe, Injen CAI, 17x7.5 Rota Subzeros/Falken Azenis, Tein HA's, Apexi-SAFC,
$3000? is that with shipping it somewhere? I paid 3290 out the door for the STI RA gear set exedy lightend flywheel and stage 1 organic clutch setup with the labor or ubilding the gear box. I took the tranny our of the car and reinstalled it myself, but I think I was quoted 500 on top of the price I paid to drop the tranny. in addition to the gear set, I had the 1-2sleeve and hub, 3-4 sleeve and hub, syncros, bearings, and 1-2 shift rod replaced. Dave gave me a pretty good deal. the gruppe-s offer is pretty enticing, the only thing I didnt like was that the speedo gear was plastic. Im sure it works just fine, but the one Ralli Spec offers is metal, will they work the same? yes, will one last longer? probably. Just somethign to think about. if its $3000 for the gearset build and the labor for dropping and replacing the tranny its not too too bad. if you do the gear set you might as well get the syncros and bearings, its just foolish not to. I konw Rallispec charged me $700 for a a bench job (bringing the the tranny) plus the $500 they said it would be if they removed and re-installed the tranny, your looking at roughly $1200 labor right there. the cheapest I priced the gear set and other nessesary parts was from gruppe-s which came out to $1850. so if someone is charging you $3000 thast right about on the money. If you can manage to remove and re-install your tranny you can save good money there and put it twards a clutch setup or just keep it in your pocket. Hope this all helped. BTW 267 iles on the new gearset and clutch/flywheel setup. as soon as I get some more mileage I will let you know how that thing really feels...
Old 02-11-2005, 10:21 PM

$3000 is for everything and no it's not being shipped. he's not charging me to uninstall and reinstall because i took it out and planning on putting it in ourselves. this is how i calculated it. sti ra gearsets = $1349, Synchros = $255, Bearings = $255, total is $1859 like you said and he'll only charge me $600 since he needs exp. so $2459 is the total. that's a deal right? rallispec would be for everything $2767. but it weird the gruppe s bearing only come with 4pcs but the rallispec bearings come with 17pcs. why is that? well thanks for the info
Old 02-13-2005, 08:39 AM

I think that the bearing set from rallispec is a complete set. I think some of gruppe-s packaged deals are the "most commonly replaced parts" not all the parts. if you read the descriptions offered from rallispec, they specify "complete set" Before you order anything though I would call up Rallispec and talk to either Dave or Jen. Have them explain the difference between their kit and Gruppe-s kit. Then make your desision from there. I know Rallispecs kit is a few dollars more but, like I said before their speedo gear is metal not plastic, and I kinda liked that. To be honest if gruppe-s was the same driving distance as Rallispec it might have came down to who would give me the better deal but, Rallispec is only about 1.4 hours away so I didnt mid te drive . AS far as your price. its not bad. The ONLY THING IS, when that gearbox comes apart, just make sure you or who ever is doing it know what they are looking at. Because something might be worn out that should be replaced but maybe doesnt need to ya know what I mean? I didnt purchase a single part till my tranny was disected and inspected. Then I got the phone call saying ok, you need this that and the other thing and this is your total. So what might be a good idea is to take it apart first and look at it and then order your parts. But call first to make sure there is no back order or delays on what parts you might need. The less downtime you have the better, so if your car still runs fine and you didnt break your tranny yet. maybe give Dave a call and ask him whatparts he would recomend replacing if the tranny hasnt gone yet. good luck, BTW. 400 mies on the clutch now. I am going to go drive it awhile today see how it feels under real driving. later

Quick Reply: Sti ra gearset...