Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

Quaife Center Differential for 6MT nonDCCD

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 01:17 PM

Car Info: Subaru Legacy Spec B H6
Quaife Center Differential for 6MT nonDCCD

Hello,
i´m from Germany and driving a Legacy Spec B 6MT which has the same gearbox like the nonDCCD Impreza STi. I´m looking for an improvement of the center differential.
I have written to many manufactors, just Quaife offered me a opportunity for a private person. They gave me 2 options, first an unique unit for maybe 3500GBP or with minimum 10 interested people the price will drop to around 750GBP - nice difference.
So now i´m looking for some other Subaru drivers who are interested in an upgrade of their center diff.
The concernd center diffs have the partnumbers 38913AA111 and 38913AA112 and are installed in Impreza STi and some Legacy like 2.5 GT-B and H6.
Here is a link for Imreza drivers to verify which center diff is used in your MY.
Let me short explain the working of the torque sensing diff from Quaife (and all other brands). The Quaife diff is torque sensing, so it "feels" the difference between front and rear before a rpm difference between front and rear will happen and give the torque to the end with the option to transfer the most of torque - this will happen dynamicly and instantly with free torque transfer from 25/75 to 75/25 (front/rear). The original Subaru visco unit have locked a split of 50/50, but to lock the center diff there is a rpm difference between front and rear necessary (the silicon oil needs heat) - so now you can image why you have wheelspin at the front if you start hard... and evry time torque transfer is needed first there is a rpm difference between front/rear necessary - so the Subaru sysem is a reactive system. The Quaife one is proactive, it "feels" where the torque has to go and so no wheelspin will happen at front (or rear). Maybe now you will know why this would be a great (and maybe the best) upgrade or the 6MT without DCCD.
I hope i will find here some interested people to let this thing come true, at the moment we are 4 -> 6 still needed .

Ingmar