Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

Lightened Flywheel causing CEL

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 05:00 PM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
vaccume leak was teh problem the rest is ok
Old 01-19-2009, 05:01 PM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
Originally Posted by sigma pi
waiting on teh crank pulley theory

i hope its not the uber light weight fly wheel

after that its vaccuume leak
thats why im mod people
Old 01-19-2009, 11:53 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX (RIP) // 2007 STi "OMGASTI"
you had a vacuum leak?
Old 01-20-2009, 02:24 PM

Ok so i got my injectors swapped, so i gotta wait on the next CEL to rule out injectors which will probably happen

and its a stock crank pulley so thats outta the question.
Old 01-23-2009, 07:20 PM

Ok so CEL came on after the injector swap and it showed a misfire in the corresponding cylinder as the previous misfire in cyl 3 was swapped to; cyl 1. So, under warranty, a new fuel injector will be put in wednesday much better than est. 1000 for a new oem flywheel install.

When the head was still bad, they had swapped injectors to see if that was the problem, but because the problem was they head, they thought the injectors were fine. So when the new head was installed and we started getting these CELs, then we had assumed the injectors were fine. But either the cracked head was masking the bad injector, or it went bad after the new head was installed.
So hopefully the lightened flywheel isnt a problem like we thought it was added onto the bad injector. There wasnt really that big of a rpm difference during when the light was on, fooled me about the injectors. it was only about 100 rpm difference

Last edited by Dans Rex; 01-23-2009 at 07:35 PM.
Old 01-28-2009, 03:53 PM

Back at dealer to get inj installed, turns out not injectors (?). It's throwing 2 misfires now, original one (3) and the swapped to one (1). Their checking the fuel system and other things as I type
Old 01-28-2009, 04:16 PM

Car Info: 03 Sonic Yellow WRX Sport Wagon
The misfire code that is sometimes associated with a lightweight flywheel (especially very light flywheels or light flywheels in combination with a lightened crank pulley) can be avoided by not allowing the RPM's to drop quickly in neutral or with the clutch in. At least that's what I've been told. The reason they can throw a CEL is that the ECU sees that the RPM's are dropping quicker than normal and interprets that as a misfire.

I have the ACT Streetlite and have never gotten a CEL from it. You'd know if you had a super lightweight flywheel because you'd get tons of Subaru deceleration noise. I only get a little.
Old 01-28-2009, 04:39 PM

They're going to send the ecu out to see if it was remapped by previous owner...
Old 01-28-2009, 04:42 PM

Apparently the code is coming up at idle in the garage so no rpm drop
Old 01-29-2009, 03:39 PM

got the wrx back with ecu. they found a reflash for it now they just need the connector wire because this one doesnt connect to the obd2 connector. So either they hopefully find one at another dealer or they have one ordered for april

Until then, they said the car runs fine with the cel light on and hopefully the reflash will fix it. This is based on either it needs a reflash or it had a tune by previous owner and it needs to be back to stock.
Old 01-31-2009, 01:49 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX UR Stage3, FMIC, VF34
I have had the exact problem you describe since I bought the car 30000 miles ago. This drove me nuts for the longest time trying to trouble shoot. I even ended up buying a code reader off ebay for $70 because of it. If I were you I would just save your money and leave it be. I don't think anything is going to get damaged because of it. It looks like your ecu is throwing the misfire code once in a while.... after so many on/off cycles it resets itself until the next time it throws the code again. If you ever find out a fix... let me know!
Old 01-31-2009, 02:59 PM

Hopefully the reflash fixes it

welcome to the forum btw
Old 02-07-2009, 12:59 PM

Reflashed. Runs smoother and sounds a lot more different; same with the feel. So maybe it had a tune and needed to be reflashed back to stock, sure feels like it

We'll c how it goes
Old 03-07-2009, 06:00 PM

Car Info: subaru wrx wagon 2006
cel

i have an 06 wrx wagon with ra tranny and streetlite flywheel and exedy clutch. and i was having the same issues after my tranny was done it was throwing cel misfire 1 and 3 i thought it was injectors, spark plug wire etc anyways i through my stock blowoff valve back on to help with idle the misfire ussually came on in stop and go traffic and it will come because the crank angle and cam position sensor are reading the the engine revs and decelerates faster than stock. so the ecu plays it safe with a cel code. but it is the flywheel cuasing this faster responce, thats why we installed it right.... what you need to do is get your tuner to adjust your idle if you have a blow off valve and a light flywheel your idle is going to be weeker and lower. try your stock bov and a stock tune it worked for me i have gotten the cel in 2 mnthd since i reverted back to stock tune and blowoff. its your flywheel trust me get it tuned
Old 03-07-2009, 06:12 PM

Car Info: 4日本車
Originally Posted by rastawagon
i have an 06 wrx wagon with ra tranny and streetlite flywheel and exedy clutch. and i was having the same issues after my tranny was done it was throwing cel misfire 1 and 3 i thought it was injectors, spark plug wire etc anyways i through my stock blowoff valve back on to help with idle the misfire ussually came on in stop and go traffic and it will come because the crank angle and cam position sensor are reading the the engine revs and decelerates faster than stock. so the ecu plays it safe with a cel code. but it is the flywheel cuasing this faster responce, thats why we installed it right.... what you need to do is get your tuner to adjust your idle if you have a blow off valve and a light flywheel your idle is going to be weeker and lower. try your stock bov and a stock tune it worked for me i have gotten the cel in 2 mnthd since i reverted back to stock tune and blowoff. its your flywheel trust me get it tuned
It's almost always a lightweight flywheel. The part is notorious on pretty much ANY modern car's ECU for causing CEL's from cam position sensors, etc like you said. Fortunately with a Cobb AP, (and possibly other tuning devices?) you COULD have your tuner disable the codes, so that the flywheel doesn't constantly cause you to have to reset your ECU from a CEL, and then cause your ECU to have to re-learn your driving style and map. Obviously stand-alone EMS solve the flywheel issue, but not everyone can afford ~$2k or higher EM.

Quick Reply: Lightened Flywheel causing CEL