Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

Lightened Flywheel causing CEL

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 01:58 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX (RIP) // 2007 STi "OMGASTI"
Question Lightened Flywheel causing CEL

So today i learned about a new part that was put on my 02 from the previous owner. The part would be a aftermarket lightened flywheel and it is apparently causing my check engine light to come on showing misfire codes.

Dealer told me its not really worth dropping the transmission just to swap a lightened for an oem/equivalent flywheel unless I also want to install a new clutch.

Has anyone ever had this problem before? Im guessing theres no easy solution (technically i mean cheaper way, but whatever...) rather than just doing what the dealer says and dropping the tranny. Either that or i run with the CEL on all the time, because it just popped up again.
Old 01-13-2009, 02:11 PM

Car Info: www.pinoymamba.tumblr.com
dang that sucks. Do you have any device to clear the code? I wouldn't run with the CEL on all the time. The dealership won't cover that? Maybe even a discount to just throw a stock flywheel on there?
Old 01-13-2009, 04:22 PM

I do not have anything to clear it. It would be nice tho because it seems to run smoothly when the CEL is off.
i guess buyer beware when it comes to used trade ins...so probably no coverage from the dealer.
Old 01-13-2009, 05:38 PM

Car Info: 4日本車
Find a used Cobb Accessport if you can, or buy a new one, and then take it to a protuner and have them disable that CEL. Not many options mate. Either do that method, or pay for a new OEM flywheel and install it, to replace the lightweight aftermarket one. Lightweight flywheels + factory subaru ECU's = fail.
Old 01-13-2009, 05:45 PM

haha ya i figured that

funny thing tho, i was getting off lawrence onto pruneride, nothing special, and i feel smoother acceleration and basically smoother driving, and i look down and the CEL turned off. Called the dealer, told um, they said just keep checking on it and if it comes on again they wanna compare codes to the one it shot earlier. So, kinda good news
Old 01-15-2009, 12:04 PM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
what kind of crank pulley do you have on it?
Old 01-15-2009, 04:51 PM

I have no clue. I just found out i got the flywheel haha
Old 01-16-2009, 02:12 PM

Question

Two seperate codes in a row both misfire cyl 3 so im taking it in monday to have the injectors swapped (my idea ) and then run it til the light comes on again; see if it throws the code for the swap on a different cylinder. I would have assumed it would run a lot rougher if an injector was misfiring but i guess maybe theirs a buildup at the tip or something thats causing it to not fire as much. Then again if it shows Cyl 3 misfire again after the swap, might as well just be flywheel or possibility of a crappy tune gone back to stock.

QUESTION: I asked capitol suby if they wanted me to take it to a tune shop to see if its been tuned before and they said it might be a good idea. Is that even possible? Like would there be obvious signs when they plug into it?
Old 01-17-2009, 11:09 PM

Car Info: Eq TuNeD vF43 bUgEyE
check if you have a crank pulley instead of a tune and swapping out injectors. It could be your spark plugs that needs to be replaced also.
Old 01-18-2009, 09:24 AM

Unless i got bad ones from the dealer, plugs should be good.

The techs would be able to figure out if i have an aftermarket crank pulley right? If it didnt say like "perrin" on the side of it or something. If there is, putting it back to stock might help? Or going somewhere else with that? TIA

Last edited by Dans Rex; 01-18-2009 at 09:31 AM.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:11 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
This is common with light weight flywheels, or so I'm told.
Old 01-18-2009, 12:22 PM

Car Info: Eq TuNeD vF43 bUgEyE
Originally Posted by Dans Rex
Unless i got bad ones from the dealer, plugs should be good.

The techs would be able to figure out if i have an aftermarket crank pulley right? If it didnt say like "perrin" on the side of it or something. If there is, putting it back to stock might help? Or going somewhere else with that? TIA
u just got new plugs? could b they didn't put it in correctly. the tech should be able to tell if u have a aftermarket pulley, but did they look there? Do you still have the person who sold u the car's #? call him and ask what he/she has done to the car
Old 01-18-2009, 05:24 PM

Haha it was a trade in from oak tree mazda and i already asked mazda if they could contact and ask but for some reason thats a breach in privacy.

I got plugs like in october so not too recently, it would have showed signs earlier.

I guess if lightened flywheel is common, ill just guess its that. For now with all these test possibilities, its one of the writers at the dealer that thinks it might be something else.
As per the crank pulley, i would have imagined the tech would have told me about it when i spoke to him last time i was at the dealer when he told me about the flywheel. But i will ask about it monday since im going back to get the injectors moved around possibly.
I will also get a quote for the flywheel swap..as dreaded as ive been told that will be.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:48 PM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
waiting on teh crank pulley theory

i hope its not the uber light weight fly wheel

after that its vaccuume leak
Old 01-19-2009, 04:09 PM

If it was a vaccum leak, i would have assumed a worse idle, possibly even a cut off if it were a bad one. The only problem with the idle is when the CEL is on and its not even that bad, just a tiny bit rougher but the same rpm. Plus the light seems to be going off and on randomly. And a misfire code is being thrown, so no vacuum leak

Tomorow i will find out if i have an aftermarket crank pulley. The tech who pulled my motor apart was off today.
Capitol suby quoted around 1000 for a new flywheel and install combo...But injector rotation first then when the light comes on, we go from there. I can probably swap inj tomorow

Last edited by Dans Rex; 01-19-2009 at 04:17 PM.

Quick Reply: Lightened Flywheel causing CEL