Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

Interesting observation of the 6MT

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2002, 02:48 PM

Car Info: 09 E90 M3 SEDAN w/DCT
Interesting observation of the 6MT

Well, I just thought that the chronic complainers about the 1st gear lockout might like to know that the 6er is that way too.

It does not like to go into 1st from a roll, not even with a rev match.

So, we are not getting so screwed on that aspect here in the states...

Andy
Old 12-04-2002, 05:24 PM
UTR Member

Car Info: 93 Impreza L
Good info. Is it a pain to get into reverse too??
Old 12-04-2002, 09:48 PM

Car Info: 09 E90 M3 SEDAN w/DCT
Nah!

Reverse is cake! As long as you remember to pull up the lockout switch...I have put it into 6th numerous times, not realizing it!

Andy
Old 12-08-2002, 03:47 PM

It'd be too bad if it doesn't go in with a clean rev-match, but I think with the STi's closer ratios, you won't find yourself reaching below 2nd for too many turns, so hopefully it's a moot point. Is that what you're finding, Andy?

Also, do you find it more fun in the twisties having to row through more gears? I love that involvement (even in stop/go traffic on the freeway) but most of the people I know would kill themselves before getting even more gears
Old 12-09-2002, 08:48 PM
dwx

I just ordered a STi RA gearbox. One main reason was so I wouldn't be penalized so much by the long second gear in our cars stock, and the inability to easily go into 1st. But you know I've never had my transmission refuse to go into 1st when I really pushed it. Mainly I've done 2->1 at rallyx's where the speeds are slower than autox. It's just a rev match and push hard kind of thing and it usually pops in. I don't think I'll be so keen on doing that in the 6MT that I paid a bunch of money for.

BADWRX I don't know if you heard but there are differences between the 2001/2002 6MT and the ones in the redesigned cars for 2003. Case differences as well as some other things the place I ordered mine from didn't know about yet (since they haven't had one in their hands). Chances are the one I'm getting is a 2003 but I won't find out till it arrives. It'll be a DCCD tranny so that should be interesting to make work...

Phil
Old 12-10-2002, 10:12 AM

Car Info: 96' GF w/EJ205
Are you going with the R-180 rear diff? I was thinking that with the lower amount of HP and Tourque our cars are putting out, that it would be OK with the R-160. You are going to have Issues with the ABS with the R-180 diff as the bigger hubs you need to install, lack the ABS sensor and tone ring. Not a big iff you want to ditch the ABS though.

I have heard that the '03 DCCD trany is supposed to be the first of them that is used with ABS. Even with out the "brain" the DCCD is supossed to default to the most rear-bias setting. I wanted one with the DCCD, I just could not find one for under 6600 new.....and that was a little out of my range for just the Tranny itself.
Old 12-10-2002, 11:11 AM

Car Info: 02 WRX wagon=dead; rollin' in a Craptastic Camry!
"It doesn't like to go with a rev-match? My 5MT goes into first without a problem if I rev-match. Doesn't much like to go there if I'm not matching, but if I do, it goes easy."

Same here, not all that different from most of the older cars I've owned with manual trannies. My Civic would slip into first easily, but, well, it was a Civic! LOL
Old 12-10-2002, 11:15 AM
dwx

Originally posted by stratos
Are you going with the R-180 rear diff? I was thinking that with the lower amount of HP and Tourque our cars are putting out, that it would be OK with the R-160. You are going to have Issues with the ABS with the R-180 diff as the bigger hubs you need to install, lack the ABS sensor and tone ring. Not a big iff you want to ditch the ABS though.

I have heard that the '03 DCCD trany is supposed to be the first of them that is used with ABS. Even with out the "brain" the DCCD is supossed to default to the most rear-bias setting. I wanted one with the DCCD, I just could not find one for under 6600 new.....and that was a little out of my range for just the Tranny itself.
I'm just going with a 3.90 R160 right now, it was just too much money to upgrade everything that needs to be upgraded to use the R180. I'll still have the choice whether to get the DCCD or not when the tranny comes, they have a few of them. The torque split is 65R/35F in its lowest lock position which they (and other people) have said makes the car very tail happy under acceleration. It makes the car harder to drive but the rear bias makes it handle incredibly well once you learn how to drive the car. It would certainly be a neat thing to have but the ABS would have to go.

I don't know how the 2003 system works with the auto mode, the shop didn't know anything about it and thought it'd probably be difficult to make work on a US car.