Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

How to test a manual transmission

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 11:45 AM

Car Info: F250
How to test a manual transmission

any tips on how to test one, im going to be buying a 03 Subaru bug eye this weekend and just wanted to know some pointers on how i could go about this.
Thanks.
Shaun
Old 08-14-2009, 11:48 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
Do you know how to drive a stick?

Just pay attention for grinding issues when going into gears (its kind of hard to NOT notice grinding anyways). Catastrophic problems (blown gears) will be obvious.

99% of WRX's don't always like to go into reverse. just a heads up on that one, nothing to worry about.

Also, look into what a slipping clutch feels/acts like. I've not experienced one, so I cannot describe what it's like.

Last edited by VRT MBasile; 08-14-2009 at 11:52 AM.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:53 AM

Car Info: F250
Great thanks.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:17 PM

Car Info: silver 2.5 tr 2006MT wrx
slipping clutch will be like this, at around 3400 rpms, 5th or 4th gear, punch it, if the rpms go up like an aoutomatic, but your speed does not increase it is slipping. real noticable in 5th when boost kicks in, it will spin then grab.

and for the reverse thing yeah both my impreza did that, some times oyu ahad to put it in 1st then roll abit, then go into reverse.

wrecked gears and or front dif, will make a hammering sound that goes up and down with rpms, like using a hammer drill on metal.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:35 PM

Car Info: '15 LE STI, '06 WRX White Wheeled Wagon, '06 B9
^^^ in addition if you hear a high pitched whining, much more diff than the turbo spoolin up it could be the center diff getting ready to die.

when my clutch was slippin, i would be on the freeway, shift into third. stomp on the gas, and you could hear the revs take off but little or no acceleration.

a side effect of that if you werent sure if that was happening when you stop you will smell the clutch.

also put the car in 3rd gear when you are at a complete stop. if you are able to let the clutch out all the way wihtout the car stalling, clutch is dead.

also pay attention to how much travel the clutch has before you switch gears, this could be a good sign as to how long you have before it goes if it is not in good shape.

and yeah i agree with the reverse thing too. some times you gotta let out the clutch or roll a bit before you can get it into reverse.

one more thing, and i believe it only applies to 02-03. when you are slowing down, the bugeyes hate being down shifted into 1st at any speed, you have to practically be at a stop before you can shift back into first. i dont think any other year has this problem but if you experience that... its normal from what i hear