Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

GM synchromesh=ambrosia for ur tranny

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2004, 10:39 PM

Car Info: .............................................................................
I've been 'cocktailing' my trans for the last 20+k miles....
Half dino 80w-90 and half synchromesh is a great mix.....it is what I'll use next time.....
Old 04-25-2004, 11:33 PM

Car Info: 03 Wrx black sedan + 2013 BRZ
Originally posted by SsTiNgEr77
will this stuff also work in your rear differential?

im looking to do my tranny as well as my differntial at the same time... can i just buy 5 quarts of gm syncromesh and do both? is this enough? or should i mix it with some other weight oil?
I don't think you need syncromesh in the rear differential. The rear differential doesn't have any syncros. So using full synthic should be all right. Problems that can occur with using synth oil in the gear box is that it is too slick to allow the syncros to work properly. Syncros need a little bit of friction to work properly.

Jason
Old 04-26-2004, 10:23 AM

Is Gm Synchromesh a GL-5? If not, why not just use Redline MT-90 like Cobb recommends? MT-90 has the nice friction that our synchros like while still being a nice long lasting synthetic....

Actually... go read this link for details on Synchromesh... It's only recommended for SOME trannies that use GL-4?

If you're going to take the risk of using a GL-4, why not use the redline MT-90 that costs less and is recommended by at least one good tuning shop....

Last edited by wolfen42; 04-26-2004 at 10:26 AM.
Old 04-26-2004, 06:42 PM

Car Info: 2002 MBP saloon
1 answer: cause GM works!!! Like a charm! Not doubting cobb's knowlege, but as far as I know everyone who's used the GM stuff has had good results--some more than others--worked WONDERS for me and a couple of my buddies.
BTW--the redline stuff is harder to find and costs more (GM:$9.50compared to redline: $12.)
Old 04-27-2004, 06:58 AM

Originally posted by subawho?
1 answer: cause GM works!!! Like a charm! Not doubting cobb's knowlege, but as far as I know everyone who's used the GM stuff has had good results--some more than others--worked WONDERS for me and a couple of my buddies.
BTW--the redline stuff is harder to find and costs more (GM:$9.50compared to redline: $12.)
Shrug... MT-90 worked like a charm for me,costs $7.99 a quart or less, and is easy to find if you type redline motor oil into google...

This was the place I ordered it from since it was located closer to me. There are plenty of other online suppliers in different locations in the US so you can get it shipped to you next day for cheap.
Old 04-27-2004, 03:39 PM

I meant easier to find as in I can drive 10min to a GM dealer and pick it up my damn self.....why wait for shipping? That's just me..

If the Redline stuff works for you GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!! I'm very happy you found your solution. I'm just sharing my experiences with stuff that works for me .

end of story.
Old 04-27-2004, 03:44 PM

oh, BTW: $7.99+ tax (if the supplier is in ur state) + shipping (which can be expensive since fluids are heavy. + shipped from a far away place.)

Not trying to argue or start drama. Just being resouceful.
Old 04-28-2004, 10:22 AM

Heh... no drama here... Just curious which will work out better long term... wish we had some oil analysis numbers to check out. After I get around 15k on this Redline MT-90 I'll get it analyzed and report back. I'm assuming that both the synchromesh and the mt-90 are going to have more bearing wear products in them when the oil is analyzed. (Since they are both trying to make life easy for the synchros, possibly at the expense of the bearings.)
Old 04-28-2004, 12:54 PM

told ya .

now just preach on my brotha!:banana: :banana: :banana:
Old 04-28-2004, 04:40 PM

Car Info: GDA
none of you guys bothered to take it into subaru to have them look at the problem?

nonetheless, this syncromesh stuff sounds interesting....
Old 04-28-2004, 05:17 PM

mods, mods, mods..........they won't even give you the time of day with light mods ie. exhaust, Bov, etc. Heavier mods? fuggetaboutit! dealers suck mad cack. I've been denied too many times to waste my time and bring it in again.
Old 04-28-2004, 05:18 PM

glad it worked out for you general ......did you mix it? Pure?