Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

EXEDY Clutch and Flywheel in RS

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2002, 12:15 AM
Big Baller

Car Info: 93 BG5, 00&01 GM6, 06LGT, 07STi
EXEDY Clutch and Flywheel in RS

Installed an exedy clutch and lightened flywheel today.
Me likey likey.

Car revs soooo much quicker.
Going to hit the track in a week after some clutch break-in time. They claim the flywheel will help acceleration. I'll let you know.

For those about to tackel an RS clutch change, be sure to:
Remember where everything goes (ie; bushings and tranny mounts),
Use a penetrating lubricant on the metal dowels between the tranny and engine.
Jack up the front of the engine so it doesn't tilt forward and cause a lot of binding <------ worst part of my install.

When putting it all back together, the longest bolts go on the very top two holes (tranny to engine)

Really that's it. It was very easy. I didn't have any manuals, pics or anything. Just what a few people had told me. EXEDY gave me the wrong pilot tool though. They sent a Ford 20spline with the clutch. Luckily I found the correct one in short time.

Feel free to email me if you have any questions about the change.
Old 11-27-2002, 12:18 PM

Car Info: White 2000 2.5RS-Turbo
Great write up! I have the Exedy clutch as well. A bit more firm and responsive than stock without making your left leg substantially larger than the right I have the 14lb flywheel from Get-Primitive.com, it required a little more concious effort in heavy traffic or hills, but very drivable...and I REALLY felt more power to the wheels.

Has anyone done a Dyno test of lightened flywheels?
Old 11-27-2002, 02:12 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: GF8 ver6
Was the stock clutch Exedy, too? I think it was.

If I'm gonna change it again, Exedy will be in my list.
Old 11-29-2002, 11:52 PM
Big Baller

Car Info: 93 BG5, 00&01 GM6, 06LGT, 07STi
UPDATE

The flywheel is GREAT!
People claim that you have to slip the clutch a lot more off the line to get going without killing it. That makes perfect sense. The laws of physics would agree with that. HOWEVER, I hardly notice a difference when it comes to killing the car.... hardly is the key word. I have killed it once or twice, but I wasn't paying much attention then and had the radio cranked.
The acceleration is smoooooth and responsive. Shifting is much quicker because I'm not waiting for the engine to slow down. This also reduces shock on the transmission.

I HAVE NOTICED ZERO DOWNFALLS to puting in this flywheel. IT was worth EVERY Penny. I recommend it to everyone. I believe it weighs 12lbs... and it rocks.

Put in my COBB Cams today... story later.

Oh yeah, the stock cluth is also exedy. I haven't noticed a bit of difference in grip at all. However, I have been driving nice to give the clutch some burn in time. I did put the pieces- new and old- side by side and did a comparison. I DIDN'T NOTICE A SINGLE DIFFERENCE. They looked identical. This doesn't mean that the pressure plate doesn't have stiffer springs in it.... but it doesn't feel like it. So far the clutch feels like a brand new stock clutch. It's real smooth with NO shudder/chatter.

Last edited by ImprezaRSX; 11-29-2002 at 11:56 PM.