Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

converting 2wd to 4wd?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2002, 11:14 PM

Car Info: 94 impreza sedan
converting 2wd to 4wd?

I got a 94 base 4dr impreza with a 5speed 2wd drive. I wanna know how hard and how much money would it take to convert to awd drive train.
Old 12-28-2002, 12:05 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: GF8 ver6
I have everything you need to convert to AWD for sale.
It ususally cost about $1500 to $2000 if you go to junk yard but I am selling them for $1000 plus shipping.

93 or 94 AWD US Impreza transmission
drive shaft
whole rear member including rear diff
JDM rear VENTED DISK brakes with parking brakes
rear axles.
Rear sway bar
AWD Fuel tank.

believe me, this is a really good deal.
the only thing missing is front axles because they were broken in the shipping.
Old 12-28-2002, 12:08 AM
Dork

Car Info: 2005 STi, 2005 OXT
Hello,

Not too hard, not too much money, if you have a good junkyard near you. It's been too long since I did it on my '95 coupe. Basically, you need:

AWD Tranny
Driveshaft
Rear Diff
Rear Crossmember
Rear Hubs
Rear Shocks

Etc. Also, there is some disagreement as to whether you'll need a new gas tank. Most people say you do, but I was one of the first people to do the conversion and I still have my factory stock gas tank. So, maybe you do, maybe you don't.

All the parts just bolt on, nothing's really tricky. If you have a few friends to help, you can get the rear end assembled if you're afraid of taking it all apart. You can get a cross member with transverse links and hubs still attached (I've done that before) and then bolt that whole assembly in place.

Post up specific questions. As for cost, it all depends on your junkyard. I spent about $1200 doing the conversion.

Joel
Old 12-31-2002, 02:09 PM

is there any subaru car that has interchange able parts to convert to AWD? and go go go how much is shipping to wisconsin? I'm not quite ready to buy an AWD drive train yet but i will be in about a month and since I have a base model I have drum breaks soo I will also need to convert that so I prob will need some rear breaks and lines if they are different
Old 12-31-2002, 02:47 PM
Dork

Hello,

Not sure I understand your question, but parts are interchangeable between all imprezas. Many, but not all, Legacy parts also interchange.

As for what parts to get, go go go's deal is very good. Like I said, I spent about $1200 not including the brakes... and I have a very good relationship with my junkyard. I'm sure these days it would be even more expensive, now that there are lots of people looking for Subaru junk.

Joel
Old 12-31-2002, 02:55 PM

well by interchangable I mean like can I use an axle from a legacy or the half shaft from a svx like what will work or fit. with other parts.
Old 12-31-2002, 03:00 PM
Dork

Hello,

Right. I understood "interchangeable." I wasn't sure I understood "is there any subaru car". So the answer is yes, any impreza will work. As for Legacies, most parts will work. The cross member will not, but the hubs, diff, brakes, etc., will (aside from the newer legacy 4-link rear end stuff).

Axles is a different matter. If you actually look at the specs, almost every year, and definately between wagon, coupe, 4-dr, etc., the axles are slightly different in length. The amount is so small, I don't think it matters much. Maybe for hundreds of thousands of miles, there's a difference (thus Subaru bothers to make such differences), but I wouldn't be concerned about it.

Legacy axles are likely to be longer than Impreza axles by a significant enough difference to matter. But they might not be, I haven't measured.

Joel
Old 12-31-2002, 03:06 PM

thanks for clearing all that up for me
Old 01-01-2003, 06:33 AM
VIP Member

I can ship it but not sure how much the shipping price will be.
I think it's gonna be $200 or $300 something like that.

I did AWD conversion a while ago.
I collected piece by piece from various junkyard and classified ads. I ended up spending close to $1700.

This one I have for sale is not from my car, It's from another car which had gone through JDM swap. The owner bought a 95 Japanese WRX and swapped everything.. and the left over is perfect for AWD swap and this is what I am selling (the owner asked me to sell them).
If I still have them by the time you are gonna do the conversion, you will be lucky because not only you save money, but also you'll save a lot of time and hassle calling around junkyards around the country like I did.

PM or e-mail me anytime if you are interested.
Old 01-03-2003, 12:16 PM

Can I use my FWD axles for the 4wd tranny? go go go it looks like I still need the rear hub's for the swap. also was the car a 2 or 4 door are teh drive shalfs the same?
Old 01-03-2003, 05:07 PM
VIP Member

I'm not sure about the front axle. I think it's different though.
The combo I am selling has hubs and knuckles attatched already. Basicaly everything from brake rotor to brake rotor. All the rear suspention arms too. Everything is already mounted on the rear subframe.

If you want I can throw in AWD suspention for very cheap. The AWD suspension is optional but it has lowering springs.

All you need to do is, drop the FWD subframe with suspension and brakes still attatched. Put the AWD subframe, it has brakes, suspension arms and rear diff attatched.
Old 01-03-2003, 08:15 PM
Dork

Hello,

The front axles are the same. In fact, the transmission itself is the same, aside from the tail-housing and the end of the main shaft in the center housing. So everything is compatible. The only difference will depend on what cars things came from - if one car had a hydraulic clutch and the other didn't, you'd have to move the slave cylinder (hydraulic or cable-actuated) and you'd have to move the pivot point in the tranny (one bolt, very obvious, a 4 year old could do it). I use a cable clutch on my MY00 tranny, since my MY95 car had a cable clutch and I saw no reason to change the pedal box over to one setup for a hydraulic clutch.

Joel
Old 01-03-2003, 08:26 PM

go go go is the set up your selling from a 2 or 4 door? cuz chances are I'm going to need a 4 door drive shalf
Old 01-03-2003, 08:38 PM

yah some info would be helpfull like a number or something

Quick Reply: converting 2wd to 4wd?