Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

Calling All Mechanics

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2004, 12:41 PM

Car Info: URBAN GREY 07 STI
tire worn on the inner side means too much negative camber.could be a bent strut, if i was you i would replace the strut the lower control arm the ball joint the wheel hub with new wheel bearings replace the tie rod ,axle also and check the mounts on your rack and pinion to make sure it didnt shift out of place, then when every thing is done get the best wheel alighnment you can get .take it from me i hit the curb with my old car and had to change everything listed above to get everything back to specks otherwise you will allways have lots of problems with premature tire wear and front end noises and handiling problems. costly but the right way of fixing your problems,dont doodle dadle with aa i just need the strut or just the axle.do the job right !!!!!!!!! change everything i listed above good luck.
Old 07-18-2004, 04:12 PM

Car Info: 2000 RS Coupe/1990 Mazda Protege, zoom zoom..
Can you tell what area the noise is comming from? Does it go away when you step on the brakes?

I had a similiar type noise in my 00 RS it was a high pitched whine between 65-75pm. It was the center support bearing on the driveshaft. The entire driveshaft was replaced under warranty.

As stated for the tire wear, have the alignement rechecked. To much toe out will wear that tire out as well and is a more common cause for severe tire wear than excessive camber.
Old 07-18-2004, 05:57 PM

Smile

wrong about the tire wear , whenever a tire wears completely on the inner tread its because of negative camber or if the wear is on the outer tread only then its too much positive camber . in other words your tire right now is resting on the inner tread in which the tire wears the inner tread only. toe is when the tire is facing too much in or too much out. but you made good point about the center support bearing on the drive shaft. follow the instruction i gave and you will have peace of mind of the out come. been a tech for 16 years so i guess its safe to say i know what i'm talking about. good luck

Last edited by tekfoc; 07-18-2004 at 06:01 PM.
Old 07-19-2004, 03:47 PM

a good insurance company should cover it,give it a try. and from what you said ! that axle is shot!!! in which it validates all other parts that i listed for damage are indead damaged!!! a very very good alighnment place can easly ditermine all suspention components that are damaged and write it down on paper so that you have something to show the insurance company for your claim. remember a good alighnment tech is your friend.
Old 07-20-2004, 03:54 PM

worst thing that can happen is : you snap the the axle. you should be ok for little while,just take it easy on the car.