Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

99 auto trann's

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2003, 03:17 PM

Car Info: '05 LGT
Dexron III?

Seriously, what is it you are asking? How much power can they handle?
Old 12-29-2003, 06:00 PM

Car Info: '05 LGT
The 4EAT is a bit stronger than the 5MT, which can manage 350ish for awhile, providing you're not launching at 6,000rpm. The 4EATs haven't really failed in large numbers.

Mainly because people are less apt to install huge power upgrades on their auto. Those that have, seem to do so without breaking too much.

A Tranny cooler is a must, and if you're looking for 1/4 mile times a high stall torque converter. A "shift kit" will probably only change shift feel, Unless it's a custom job, then you can change the points a little. I have no idea if anyone has successfully changed either their TCU or it's settings.

Good luck in whatever it is you are planning.
Old 12-31-2003, 02:05 AM

I don't recally how much they can take, but they can take a lot.

You might want to also look into getting a valve body job done as well. This will help quicken the time it takes for it to shift gears, meaning it won't feel "seamless" between shifts. It'll be a harder shift, but ironically, helps prolong the life of the tranny (or so I've heard).

Level Ten and ProTorque are where most people go. You also might want to check out http://www.knightmotorsportsinc.com/ and see what they can do for you, though I don't know of anybody who has gone through them.

There was a guy who used to own an OBS that was 4EAT. It was TC'd with NO2 and handed many ***** on a silver platter.

Another guy had a 4EAT 99RS that was heavily modded. He could get a 4 wheels spinning and chirping through gears. Those two guys are pioneers in the early days of the RS.