Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

4eat problemo?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2003, 04:18 PM

its all good ive had this cooler laying around my room for more than 6 months already. was only hoping to get it installed before the season starts again.
what do you say eric? installfest? hahaha
Old 12-23-2003, 05:55 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '02
Originally posted by ScoobyBoy
its all good ive had this cooler laying around my room for more than 6 months already. was only hoping to get it installed before the season starts again.
what do you say eric? installfest? hahaha
Yea Eric, what do you say, couldn't be worse than the last one I can't wait until Tax time.

TO stay on topic, How much did you pay for your tranny coolers and where did you get them?

edit: I guess that really wasn't on topic either, oh well
Old 12-23-2003, 06:24 PM

hahaha
got mine from pep boys in union city, and i paid 39 bucks i think it was on sale at the time. i cant really remember.
Old 12-23-2003, 06:39 PM
VIP Member

****, I thought they were going to be like double that much.
Old 12-23-2003, 06:43 PM

nope they are pretty cheap even when they arent on sale they only go around 40ish bucks.
hurry and get one so we can get them installed!
Old 12-25-2003, 11:47 PM
Warm Fuzzy Admin

Car Info: 97 LOB, 05 FXT, 03 Tundra
Re: 4eat problemo?

Originally posted by Sisqocqk
im at about 70mph@ about 5000-5500 rpms and still in 3rd!? then if i let off the throttle the car shifts to 4th and everything is peachy.

Anyone here experience this? anyone have answers.

thanks, eric
Eric, are those numbers correct?
If anything, the WRX tranny has longer gears than mine,and sounds way more typical of the slow upshifting I get for the 2-3 shift. 5500 RPM on my car in 3rd, with 4.11 gears, is close to 100, and I can't imagine the WRX VTD tranny is that much shorter....

The TCU will learn shift patterns; if you regularly give it full throttle and crank it out to near-redline shifts, it will ramp up the shift logic to match. On my car, immediately after an ECU reflash the tranny wants to shift at 5500 even at full throttle, but if I drive it hard for a week or so, it goes right back to holding shiffts, even at high-partial throttle, until after 6000 RPM, when it upshifts with a serious "thunk" into 4th.

Have you tried resetting your TCU/ECU? You kow the drill, disconnect the battery, pump the brakes to bleed the jiuce out of the system, and wait 30 minutes. See if that fixes or modifies the behavior......

Thanks for the early Christmas present, btw
Old 12-26-2003, 12:13 AM
VIP Member

Re: Re: 4eat problemo?

Originally posted by sybir
Eric, are those numbers correct?
If anything, the WRX tranny has longer gears than mine,and sounds way more typical of the slow upshifting I get for the 2-3 shift. 5500 RPM on my car in 3rd, with 4.11 gears, is close to 100, and I can't imagine the WRX VTD tranny is that much shorter....

I'm pretty sure 5500 in 3rd should be about 90-95, 5000 RPM is around 80-85. Probably not much different than your's.

Last edited by Slack; 12-26-2003 at 12:18 AM.
Old 12-26-2003, 12:32 AM

Car Info: 2008 MB C350S Chip/Exhaust 268whp
Sisqocqk, my car seems to have that problem but for me it isn't as bothersome for me. It seems that the 4EAT has a threshold where you step over 50%(?) it will sometimes engage and stay in gears for a while or sometimes it just shifts by itself. In my opinion its just the TCU. Like I said, it doesn't bother me as much but I do notice this also however. I noticed it after putting on my short ram where I could really "hear" the throttle position of the car while its in motion.

What I would try is keeping it at 3rd and then shift back to D and see if it shifts automatically and fluidly. Mine does even when I sense the problem.
Old 12-26-2003, 06:38 AM

Car Info: 1998 Subaru Impreza L 2.2
I'm glad I found this, posted this same topic on NASIOC two days ago and no responses yet.

If I manually shift the car, it doesn't slip, it never has. However, when I'm going up a hill it will sometimes act as if it wants to change gears, but won't. You can definitely tell when it’s going to do it because it hesitates or studders when it usually changes gears. So when it finally shifts, it revs a little higher than usually and has that slipping clutch feel. It doesn't do it on level ground and as I mentioned earlier, when I manually shift it going up a hill it won't slip.

I thought it was the clutch packs wearing out or an electrical problem. I've re-set the ECU, had the tranny flushed and replaced filter. The mechanic said my pan was in excellent condition with very minimal signs of wear (metallic particles).

1998 Impreza L, 4EAT, 92, 000 miles, cat-back, K&N filter, new spark plugs and fuel filter.

-Charles-
Old 12-28-2003, 05:21 PM

Question

I re-set the ECU, and its still there. It only does it every once in awhile when going up a hill. Anyone have an explanation?

-Charles-
Old 12-28-2003, 05:36 PM
VIP Member

Originally posted by ImprezaVA
I re-set the ECU, and its still there. It only does it every once in awhile when going up a hill. Anyone have an explanation?

-Charles-
I don't know if this applies to your situation but, I've been browsing through the service manual, here is a small quote

'H: GRADE CONTROL
While the vehicle is driving up a hill, the gear is fixed to the 3rd to avoid repeated gear shift between
the 3rd and 4th gears."
Old 12-28-2003, 06:10 PM

Thanks for the reply Slack. Just the other night, for the first time that I can remember, I was going up a moderate hill after pulling out from a stoplight. I didn't want the tranny to slip so at the stop sign I downshifted the 4EAT into 1st. In 3rd I felt the darn thing hesitate and when I shifted to drive at the top of the hill the engine revved and I felt the slipping sensation. I just want to know what the heck is causing it so I can fix it before it causes something else to break. I have a gut feeling it’s the clutch packs, but my buddy had this same issue an explorer that was fixed by replacing some solenoid.

-Charles-
Old 12-28-2003, 08:31 PM
VIP Member

Originally posted by ImprezaVA
Thanks for the reply Slack. Just the other night, for the first time that I can remember, I was going up a moderate hill after pulling out from a stoplight. I didn't want the tranny to slip so at the stop sign I downshifted the 4EAT into 1st. In 3rd I felt the darn thing hesitate and when I shifted to drive at the top of the hill the engine revved and I felt the slipping sensation. I just want to know what the heck is causing it so I can fix it before it causes something else to break. I have a gut feeling it’s the clutch packs, but my buddy had this same issue an explorer that was fixed by replacing some solenoid.

-Charles-
Once again from the service manual, the stuff on the bottom is listed as possible problem parts. So there's three possible solenoids there. This is for the new age impreza but I think it applies in general to any of the autos.

"Slippage occurs from 3rd to 4th gear.

TCM
Throttle position sensor
2-4 brake duty solenoid
ATF temperature sensor
Line pressure duty solenoid
Control valve
2-4 brake
2-4 brake timing solenoid"

Last edited by Slack; 12-28-2003 at 08:34 PM.
Old 12-28-2003, 10:21 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
i wonder if it has to do with the synthetic fluid being more "slippery". It doesn't seem to be a big problem. Im going to drain all the fluid again once i tap into the tranny pan for my new autometer cobalt electric temp gauge. Once i do that i'll check the magnet to see if any flakes are stuck on it.

to chuck and all those that want to install a tranny cooler... i'd be more than happy to help you out! i bought my hayden 403 tranny cooler online. just type it in a google search and you should be good to go. Hayden, B&M and permacool are the best choices in my opinion. If you have trouble on which to buy just get the one with the same volume and cooling range as the hayden 403.

If we do an install day you guys will need to remind me on when and where. It'll take roughly an hour for each car to be done. When you buy the cooler be sure to get about 6ft extra of the same diameter tranny tubing (try tognottis) because the stuff in the box turns out to be a tad short and is too hard to work with. You'll also need a brass connector from a hardware store. Goto home depot and get a brass connector that can be used to connect two pieces of tranny line. maybe something that's 3" long in the same diameter with 2 extra hose clamps.

When you guys get the urge to have the install day post it and i'll get back to you. We'll need a basic set of MM sockets, two ramps and phillips & flat screw driver etc.

4eats unite!
eric
Old 12-29-2003, 12:18 AM

hell yeah! im glad more 4eat's are showing up, and the tranny forum is more active.
i can wait until more folk have the tc so you dont have to do it on seperate days.

Quick Reply: 4eat problemo?