i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.i-club.com/forums/drivetrain-67/)
-   -   4eat problemo? (https://www.i-club.com/forums/drivetrain-67/4eat-problemo-42297/)

Salty 12-21-2003 08:10 PM

4eat problemo?

I have a 4eat tranny (14000miles) with redline d4ATF, hayden 403 tranny cooler. As far as mods are concerned all i have is a catback.

When i accelerate at about 60% throttle to WOT the tranny seems to have a bit trouble going from 3rd to 4th. this has happened a few times in the past week. I could be merging on the freeway at freeway speeds and then all of the sudden im at about 70mph@ about 5000-5500 rpms and still in 3rd!? then if i let off the throttle the car shifts to 4th and everything is peachy.

Anyone here experience this? anyone have answers.

thanks, eric

ScoobyBoy 12-21-2003 10:37 PM

a little trouble? does it feel a bit like hesitation like the car kind of studders a bit before it shifts? if so, i have the same thing. im guessing its just time for a tune up.
the tranny cooler did you install that yourself? i remember you pmed me about help installing it but i still havent installed it yet.
:D

Salty 12-22-2003 08:20 AM

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by ScoobyBoy [/i]
[B]a little trouble? does it feel a bit like hesitation like the car kind of studders a bit before it shifts? if so, i have the same thing. im guessing its just time for a tune up.
the tranny cooler did you install that yourself? i remember you pmed me about help installing it but i still havent installed it yet.
:D [/B][/QUOTE]

Yeah i think it's just acting up too. and i only happens when im on the throttle pretty hard.

I installed the tranny cooler about 3 months ago and everything seems to be working fine. I don't have a temp gauge hooked up to it but it has to be doing its intended job.

eric

highspeed11 12-22-2003 08:11 PM

I've heard of others having this problem Though 70mph seems kinda high. Have you tried merging in 3manual upto 55-60mph? If so how did the shift feel?

ScoobyBoy 12-23-2003 12:42 AM

you think you can write me up step by step instructions on how to install it? ive checked out projectwrx's site and am still not too clear on how to install it. thanks.

Salty 12-23-2003 08:55 AM

[B]you think you can write me up step by step instructions on how to install it? ive checked out projectwrx's site and am still not too clear on how to install it. thanks.

off the top of my head roughly...

1)put the front wheels on ramps and let the car cool (duh)

2) take the tranny cooler and connect the fuild lines to the actual cooler but don't trim the hoses to length yet.

3) mount the tranny cooler on the left side of the radiator (as you're looking at it)... this would be the right side of the radiator as you sit in the car. Us the the nylon zip ties and punch them through the cooler and radiator, then secure them and trim the excess.

4) get on your back and you'll see a heatsheild mounted under the radiator next to the headers. take that sheild off!

5) now that you have the sheild off look to the bottom right section on the radiator and you'll see a metal spout with a hose on it, that's where the tranny fuild exits after it has been cooled by the radiator. so to put in simple terms you're going to tap into it like a piece of wire.

6) hook-up the furthest hose of the tranny cooler to the spout i mentioned above. so what you've done is attach another cooling device after the radiator. then secure with the hose clamps.

7)now hook up the other remaining hose to the oem hose that was originally connected to the spout on the radiator. you may need a 3" splicing type connector for this.

8)If you can get the heat sheild back on then more power to you! i left mine off because it caused the hoses to kink. don't worry because you have an added level of protection. just be sure to check the hoses for heat damage. mine seem to be fine after 11k miles still.

9)figure out how much empty volume you've created by adding the tranny cooler. look on the box to see how much space is inside the cooler itself.

10) with that measurement you'll add that much tranny fuild to the tranny via dipstick under the IC. You don't need to take off the IC, just get a long flexable funnel. I would recommend adding less fluid than you measured because the tranny dipstick is a tricky SOB and can fool you.

11)Start the car and let it warm up. With your foot on the brake go through every gear from P to 1st for about 30sec to 1minute. shut the car off and presto! you're done!

*you'll understand it A LOT better when you see what im talking about. you'll get the idea and run with it. Hope this helps.

eric

ScoobyBoy 12-23-2003 01:37 PM

glord thanks man. ive been wanting to install that sucker for the longest time, but was always too scared to tinker with it. hopefully ill have a go at it within the next two weeks.

you think its about time to replace the spark plugs? that has been my theory of why the car has been acting like that lately.

Salty 12-23-2003 01:43 PM

[B]glord thanks man. ive been wanting to install that sucker for the longest time, but was always too scared to tinker with it. hopefully ill have a go at it within the next two weeks.

you think its about time to replace the spark plugs? that has been my theory of why the car has been acting like that lately.

im not too sure on the plug theory. worth a shot if you're due though

ScoobyBoy 12-23-2003 01:57 PM

im not too sure how valid the theory is either. im at 30k already with only one tranny fluid change, no diff fluid changes, and many many oil changes. ive just been noticing the shuddering recently, and the only thing i can think of is probably the plugs. just my theory of course. how often should i do the plugs? i heard every 50 or 60k from some people, but each car is different.
you have any theories? us 4eat's have to stick together. hahaha

Salty 12-23-2003 01:59 PM

[B]im not too sure how valid the theory is either. im at 30k already with only one tranny fluid change, no diff fluid changes, and many many oil changes. ive just been noticing the shuddering recently, and the only thing i can think of is probably the plugs. just my theory of course. how often should i do the plugs? i heard every 50 or 60k from some people, but each car is different.
you have any theories? us 4eat's have to stick together. hahaha

im going to make a habit of 30k miles when i get to 30k. it's too much of a PITA to do otherhwise.

Slack 12-23-2003 02:53 PM

Hey Eric, want to help me install a tranny cooler/ synthetic fluid, when I get mine? (not any time soon though):banana:

ScoobyBoy 12-23-2003 03:42 PM

you have an auto slack?

Slack 12-23-2003 03:58 PM

[B]you have an auto slack? [/B][/QUOTE]
4EAT Represent

ScoobyBoy 12-23-2003 04:05 PM

tranny cooler install fest! ill drive up to davis for it.

Slack 12-23-2003 04:15 PM

[B]tranny cooler install fest! ill drive up to davis for it.

Hells Yea, you'd have to wait a while though, seeing my money is going elsewhere at the moment(I need a fuggin job :mad: )