Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

2002 WRX clutch pedal clicking sound

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 07:33 PM

Car Info: 2002 Subaru WRX
2002 WRX clutch pedal clicking sound

Hi all, i have a 2002 WRX, and recently the clutch pedal began making a wierd clicking/ticking sound when it gets depressed to the floor (in other words during every shift I make). It sounds like as if you drop a paper clip on a table top. Makes a "clickclickclick...click". I have inspected the pedal assebly and everything seems to be operating smoothly with no visible interference from wires or plastic connectors, etc...I am having my clutch assembly replaced in 2 weeks time (as the car & clutch have 167000 Km on it anyways) with an Exedy unit, but I'm concenred that will not solve this annoying problem. Has anyone else had this issue? Thanks!
Old 11-27-2012, 08:10 PM

Car Info: 2002 Impreza RS, 2005 Impreza RS-20K
Originally Posted by gzichy
Hi all, i have a 2002 WRX, and recently the clutch pedal began making a wierd clicking/ticking sound when it gets depressed to the floor (in other words during every shift I make). It sounds like as if you drop a paper clip on a table top. Makes a "clickclickclick...click". I have inspected the pedal assebly and everything seems to be operating smoothly with no visible interference from wires or plastic connectors, etc...I am having my clutch assembly replaced in 2 weeks time (as the car & clutch have 167000 Km on it anyways) with an Exedy unit, but I'm concenred that will not solve this annoying problem. Has anyone else had this issue? Thanks!
on my girlfriends 1996 toyota corolla. there were 2 nuts holding the master cylinder in place onto the fire wall (master cylinder had 2 studs going through fire wall into cabin and secured with 2 nuts cabin side). one of those nuts had fallen off or was not replaced when the clutch was replaced a couple days ago. there was enough play in the master cylinder unit that when she placed the clutch pedal, she heard a ticking, or a clicking. what was happening was: the pressure from the system was enough to move the entire master cylinder unit outwards (away from firewall) and the threads of the studs would snag on the sheet metal of the firewall. when the pedal was released, same sound, but usually a bit faster.

I would open up your hood and give your clutch mster cyclinder a a slight tug/shake.

this may not be your issue. but you showed same symptoms and theory behind it is still the same.

Good luck!
Old 11-28-2012, 11:37 AM

Car Info: 2002 Subaru WRX
I will try that, that definitely could be the issue. Thanks!