Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

1st grins a lot more now... :(

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2002, 04:11 PM
Former Vendor

Car Info: Evo X
1st grinds a lot more now... :(

i think it started after i changed my tranny fluid. sometime when I go into first it would grind with the clutch ALL THE WAY down. Yes, I might have shifted a 'little' fast, but it didn't use to do that. I mean, I shift fast, but not hard. Usually, it just wouldn't go in because i don't shift hard enough. And eventually it'll slip in. But now it would slip in with a grind. It's nasty!! Just first is doing it. I never shift into first on roll. unless i slow WAY down and I rev match. but that only happens once in a blue moon. help?

Last edited by DetailAddict; 12-13-2002 at 10:34 AM.
Old 12-13-2002, 12:35 AM

Car Info: 2000 2.5RS Silverthorn
grin? Do you mean grind? If you mean grind then your synchros are going down the tube buddy.
Old 12-13-2002, 08:12 AM
Former Vendor

yes grind. kinda figure is the synchor... But only first gear? I guess it's time for a trip to the dealership?

Last edited by DetailAddict; 12-13-2002 at 08:21 AM.
Old 12-13-2002, 08:13 AM
Former Vendor

can someone give me a mechanical detail on how this synchros work? Thanks!
Old 12-13-2002, 08:22 AM
Former Vendor

Never mind...
http://www.howstuffworks.com/transmission4.htm

Synchronizers
Manual transmissions in modern passenger cars use synchronizers to eliminate the need for double-clutching. A synchro's purpose is to allow the collar and the gear to make frictional contact before the dog teeth make contact. This lets the collar and the gear synchronize their speeds before the teeth need to engage, like this:

The cone on the blue gear fits into the cone-shaped area in the collar, and friction between the cone and the collar synchronize the collar and the gear. The outer portion of the collar then slides so that the dog teeth can engage the gear.

Every manufacturer implements transmissions and synchros in different ways, but this is the general idea.
Old 12-13-2002, 06:26 PM

Car Info: 98RS - Pretty Blue
What kind of oil did you put in? Some people have experienced this sort of trouble with various types of synthetic oils. Some seem to be used more successfully than other. I happened to have the same problems when I switched to redline, which I am still using, and am hating right now. Going back to the OE oil, should make your car back to normal though... I don't think there is a real need to have it looked at. Anyone know where I can get some OE oil

jonathan
Old 12-13-2002, 11:20 PM
Former Vendor

hmmmm... that's what i suspected at first. but I went to the dealership to change the tranny fluid...
Old 12-16-2002, 10:25 AM

If you have a WRX I've heard from a few people that they have updated parts for the trannies. WRX-Rated (sp?) had his tranny fixed because it had gringing problems. He had to drive around in a rental for a while but they fixed it.
Old 12-16-2002, 10:27 AM

Just wanted to add... If you can, take advantage of the warranty while you still have it. Take the car in for any little problem you find.
Old 12-16-2002, 10:40 AM
Former Vendor

yeah, the dealership actually told me that too! I am going to have them check it out on my next oil change. It doesn't grind if I WAIT for it to slip it. But when I am the first car at the light, I don't like to leave it in first and wait for the light. I usually leave it in neutral until the light change. And most of the time, that is when it grinds on me. . BTW, I have a RS.

Originally posted by scoobiesnacks
Just wanted to add... If you can, take advantage of the warranty while you still have it. Take the car in for any little problem you find.