to pop or not to pop...

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2005, 08:12 PM

Car Info: 2005 WRX
to pop or not to pop...

i was just curious what suby owner's prefer to do when racing on the track.
i'm new at the whole ''launching-with-three pedals" (if you couldn't tell, i had an auto before) and have heard mixed opinions

i tried popping the clutch at 5000 and that seemed to work real well. A little chirp from the tires, and off she goes....wonderful feeling. and there's nothing like that clutch smell (joke). i was just curious if this is bad, or maybe is there another launch technique that you prefer?
Old 06-22-2005, 08:26 PM

Car Info: 05 SLK 350
Are you in a WRX or an STi? Either way, don't do that too much, or you'll be buying transmissions at an unpleasant rate. Read the Impreza powertrain threads for more info.
Old 06-22-2005, 10:18 PM

its much better to slip the clutch then drop it. clutch is alot cheaper than a transmission. try slipping it around 4.5k. wrx's are not meant to be drag cars, so dont do it too much!
Old 06-22-2005, 11:24 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRB WRX
yea whatever you do...dont just drop the cloutch its not good for the car. i like to bring it up to around 4 or 4.5 rpms and just slowly ride the clutch. yea youll get the burnt clutch smell, but its better for the car than just popping the clutch out and i think you get a faster start. and wrx's have fragile transmissions so dont be banging gears either or your gonna need a new tranny
Old 06-23-2005, 06:14 AM

thanks for the tips. last night i popped the clutch twice, for the first time. and now, that will have been the last time! no new trannies for me

any tips on slipping?

i've heard hit the clutch right before it engages, and rev up to 4.5. then as you're slipping it out, floor it. and with this....no brake? how fast should i floor?
keep in mind, i 'm new (hah)
Old 06-29-2005, 12:56 PM

Car Info: 2006 CGM WRX
you can pop the clitch as long as you do it correctly, its when ppl laucnh too low that they cause damage by boggin the life out of your tranny.. when you pop the clutch and your tires spin, your unloading all the pressure off your tranny.. when you bog you shock your tranny and run the risk of breaking a gear.. i always rev and dump and my car has 58k miles with no problems.. and my best time is 14.160@96.011 with only an air hog, removed silencer, and removed stock cat back exhaust, just learn to do it correctly and you will be fine
Old 06-30-2005, 10:57 AM

rev and dump, eh?

so when i dropped the clutch, this is what happened

it seemed like there was a slight delay after putting the hammer down, then the tires chirped, and then takeoff. now i would imagine you would be able to notice turbo bog quite a bit (like you're hardly moving until the turbo spools)....and it didn't feel like that at all

actually i had to peel my head off the seat when i slowed down, so i'm assuming i did everything right. are you sure this isn't hurting the tranny? i dont want to keep doing it if it will cause harm
Old 06-30-2005, 01:10 PM

Car Info: 95 Impreza Wagon... 1.8 Litres of fury!
If you're worried about it, it's probably messing something up. All the 227hp or so is stored rotationally in the crank, and when you dump the clutch in first gear, one shaft is moving at 4500 rpm, and another shaft at zero. (crankshaft and transmission input shaft, respectively) When you dump the clutch, that force is not cushioned by anything but metal which doesnt have much give. It's instantly transmitted to 1st gear, usually shearing it off. If you feather it though, your clutch takes most of the abuse, and rightfully so because it's relatively cheap compared to a transmission. You're still quick, and you didn't break anything.

Followed by a question for all... Why 1/4 the WRX? It seems counterintuitive to take a car which breaks when you drag race it, and then do so on a regular basis.

Last edited by Impretzle; 06-30-2005 at 01:56 PM.