Launching a 4EAT

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2004, 05:35 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 Aspen White Subaru STI
Launching a 4EAT

Hey guys just wanted to get some advice on how to get a good launch out of a 4eat. Thanks!
Old 02-24-2004, 06:16 PM

Car Info: 2002 White WRX Wagon (WWW)
Re: Launching a 4EAT

Originally posted by SuzWRX
Hey guys just wanted to get some advice on how to get a good launch out of a 4eat. Thanks!
As far as I know the only way to "launch" an automatic is to hold the brake with your left foot and floor the gar until the rpms go as high as they are gonna go. Then just take your foot off the brake. I don't have an auto and I don't know if it works on the wrx. Hopefully someone with an auto can chime in...
Old 02-24-2004, 06:41 PM

Car Info: 2001 Impreza 2.5RS(Ti)
That's a lot of wear on the clutch, I wouldn't want to hold it there for too long.
Old 02-24-2004, 06:49 PM

Car Info: 98 Impreza Outback Sport
Drive it to a dealership and trade it for a 5-speed.

... I'm stuck w/ an auto too... this sarcasm comes from my own frustration, nothing to do with you.

BTW, that holding in the brake method seems kind of weird. I'm no afficianado (sp), but doing that seems like it would put stress on something. I don't know what exactly, but stress leads to breakage, and we all know breakage is bad.
Old 02-24-2004, 06:57 PM
VIP Member

Originally posted by scoobsport98
Drive it to a dealership and trade it for a 5-speed.

... I'm stuck w/ an auto too... this sarcasm comes from my own frustration, nothing to do with you.

BTW, that holding in the brake method seems kind of weird. I'm no afficianado (sp), but doing that seems like it would put stress on something. I don't know what exactly, but stress leads to breakage, and we all know breakage is bad.
True, but that's probably the only way to do it in an automatic. I believe this method is called brake torqueing. Could be wrong though.

:banana:
Old 02-24-2004, 09:16 PM
VIP Member

Yeah thats how I usually launch. Is it better to Launch it in Drive or in 1st?
Old 02-29-2004, 08:37 PM

I believe its called power braking and power shifting in automatics. This is the way i race at's w/4 speed and o/d.. Turn o/d off, get in 1st gear, Hold the brake while accelerating like KmanRuffian said until u get to about 2K rpm let go of brake and floor the accelerator, get to about 6500 rpm shift to second get to about 6500 rpm again shift to 3rd(drive), get to about 6500 and turn o/d off, and u should done ur 1/4 mile by then. This is if the redline is 7000rpm..
Old 03-03-2004, 01:11 AM

Car Info: 02 blue WRX header,turbo back exhaust,framairfilte
this is how i race my a/t wrx. come to a complete stop pump brake pedal twice to build pressure in brakes to hold launch, pull up e-brake to double the holding power of the brakes, slowly ease into gas until car is ready to roll through the brakes then slowly back off until car is completely still then when the race starts release e-brake and lift foot off of brake while flooring car, do not leave veh. in drive because by the time you shift the car it will either hit the rev limiter or shift itself at 7krpm like if you would have left it in drive. Older cars needed to be powershifted cause the tranny would shift early not newer cars the computer tells it when to shift. This is why you need a friend to start you off at the street races and at the track just repeat brake procedure till you just hit the second yellow bulbs and ease off the e-brake and then you will just squat and go autos can launch better then manuals if you know how to do it. good luck post a reply if you get lost. p.s. I taught my g/f the same way just with out the e-brake she cant take the gs with no e-brake should rev to 3k before it starts to roll through the brakes.
Old 03-03-2004, 02:51 PM
VIP Member

Yeah the brake thing is kind of confusing for me. I usually launch the same way without the e-brake on. So, when the race starts let off the brake pedal, hit the accelerator, and at the same time let off the e-brake? Usually about 2500 rpms the car starts to roll forward through the brakes, so by pumping the brake a couple times in the beginning this should help this problem? I will definately have to practice a few times first. Let me know if i have this right or if I am completely off.

Thanks for all the help!

P.S Powershifting is better than leaving it in Drive while I do this right?
Old 03-03-2004, 11:47 PM

noo you should not have to power shift just leave it in drive, put it like this you only power shift to make the car shift itself at redline which is where it will shift normally. and yes pump the brake at least twice and the car will hold but remember the brakes need to be relatively cold and you might experience brake fade after you do this so try to downshift the auto to slow down and not use the brakes as hard cause this does build heat in them. Good luck post if you have problems.
Old 03-04-2004, 03:50 PM
VIP Member

Ook I gotcha. I will definately give this a try, sounds like a good idea! So you own a A/T Wrx? Do you race it much?
Old 03-04-2004, 05:33 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 01 Impreza RSTi, 08 Evo MR, and 13 XV
get a a performance torque converter. Infek in the hawaii forum has one and his car is doing like 13.1's in the 1/4. He has some kick a$$ launches for a 4EAT. Oh yeah he also got some other upgrades too.

Old 03-04-2004, 06:38 PM
VIP Member

Yeah I am in the market for a performance torque converter. I have been trying to e-mail MPJ but they havn't replyed back. I heard they sell them. Anyone know if they do or not?
Old 03-04-2004, 09:32 PM

yes I do race it alot on street and track best 14.0 @ 97 :banana:

Quick Reply: Launching a 4EAT